Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/29/2013 1:34:10 PM EDT
My wife and I have been talking about going  to Wyoming for vacation during July of 2014.  We are planning to drive up with our son who will be 11 years old.  We'd like see the western US with him while him is young.  

What are some of the places to see?  What would be the best cities to visit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The central and eastern parts of the state are not much to look at, but the western part is fantastic.  Spend a good amount of time in and around yellowstone and it will be a great vacation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It's windy as fuck. Trucks blown on their sides all along the interstate windy.

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this. It's always windy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you haven't heard yet, it is windy as hell.

And cold.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
It's very rectangle-y.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're near Cheyenne, see Weedawoo Glen (pronounced Veedavoo). Right off the freeway.  Cool rocks.

Eastern side, Jackson Hole and the Tetons, along with Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
VERY,VERY nice firearms museum in Cody......
Hot springs in Thermopolis are nice..(if you like sulphur!!)  I find it to be very relaxing.....go to the private owned springs,it's better than the state owned......motels are expensive .
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
It is cold, boring, nothing to do, windy and cold.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.  And it's not a warm wind, either.

For tourists, there are Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs, which are always nice to visit.

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My wife and I have been talking about going  to Wyoming for vacation during July of 2014.  We are planning to drive up with our son who will be 11 years old.  We'd like see the western US with him while him is young.  

Thanks
View Quote

Wife and I did a two-week trip up there this summer. We drove out of Huntsville up into South Dakota and saw the Badlands and Rushmore, then drove on into eastern WY to see Devil's Tower. From there we drove west to Yellowstone, then across Yellowstone down to the Tetons. We stayed there several days and drove home on a southern route to see Zion and the Grand Canyon.

Our trip involved a LOT of driving. I'd recommend spending several days in Tetons, maybe a full day in Yellowstone (the crowds are terrible), and if you come back through the south two days at Zion.

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Colorado has everything you want, and is prettier.
View Quote

Well that part ain't no lie.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got points for speed goats, deer, and elk in Wyoming. Not this year though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Yellowstone and Grand Teton will be at their peak for tourist season.  Make any hotel reservations in West Yellowstone months before.  And they will be pricey.  I was just there after Labor day, and a very basic, dated, but clean hotel room was still $129 a night.  Peak of summer it's over $200 a night.

You need at least 3 days to see all of Yellowstone.  It's huge with 200 miles of driving.   Find out when the geysers are predicted go off at the main Old Faithful front desk.  They post them on a monitor each day.  Wait for a couple to go off.

Grand Tetons are nice too.  Stayed in Jackson Hole, about 40 mins south of the park.   Nice day hikes, and you can rent canoes/kayaks on Jenny Lake for $16 an hour.  You can cover all of Grand Tetons in 2 days easily.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]
stop at every gas station and fill up, also carry a 5 gallon can of gas just in case, it is a long way between gas stations out there
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want to stay in Yellowstone or Grand Tetons, make your reservations now.  You can always cancel, so it is good to have a few different rooms and dates.  I can add a bit more info when I have time, but Jackson/Tetons/Yellowstone is one of the most amazing areas I have ever visited...well worth the trip!  We flew into and out of Jackson, so I don't have any pointers on driving outside the area.  We went in September and the weather was fairly warm during the day and freezing at night.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#18]
You're picking the busiest time of the year to visit. literally.

Prepare for traffic. Dozens of cars stop to see an elk. Asians who can't follow crosswalk laws by the bus load and senile old people who can't drive to save their lives.

That being said, I work in Jackson on the town square. The fireworks are awesome, the weather is gorgeous and the views in GTNP AND YNP are the best in the world.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You're picking the busiest time of the year to visit. literally.

Prepare for traffic. Dozens of cars stop to see an elk. Asians who can't follow crosswalk laws by the bus load and senile old people who can't drive to save their lives.

That being said, I work in Jackson on the town square. The fireworks are awesome, the weather is gorgeous and the views in GTNP AND YNP are the best in the world.
View Quote

I beg your freakin' pardon!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Jackson Hole is full of hot chicks and MILFS/cougars is all i know
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wife and I did a two-week trip up there this summer. We drove out of Huntsville up into South Dakota and saw the Badlands and Rushmore, then drove on into eastern WY to see Devil's Tower. From there we drove west to Yellowstone, then across Yellowstone down to the Tetons. We stayed there several days and drove home on a southern route to see Zion and the Grand Canyon.

Our trip involved a LOT of driving. I'd recommend spending several days in Tetons, maybe a full day in Yellowstone (the crowds are terrible), and if you come back through the south two days at Zion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Seems like it's pretty much covered but if you go to Utah Bryce Canyon is a must see.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Go see Fort Laramie and the Oregon trail. Up north to Casper too and fort Phil Kearny and Fetterman massacre battlefield.

Most important places of the Indian wars of 1860s-1870s
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Plan to spend sometime around Yellowstone, Grand Tetons if time, Devils tower in the east. But mostly Yellowstone. Bring the warmest cloths you own, even in July it can snow. I was there as a kid in mid June with my family at a campground in Yellowstone NP, we got like 8" of snow, having lived in MN all my life my family was prepared with everything needed for sub zero temps, the people from California in the next campsite over were not so well prepared, they started a fire, and wore every piece of clothing they owned to try to stay warm, then eventually left and went home early.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#26]
End of July is Cheyenne Frontier days if you enjoy rodeo and country music concerts, Vedawoo  is a neat place to take a look around in But get on the other side of the state and spend your time around Jackson/ cody Yellowstone and Teton. Most other things involve getting into the mountains and camping type stuff If you had the time. Thermopolis is a neat stop with the hot springs as well. And yes its windy but more so in the winter than mid summer. if you need anything specific for Cheyenne just pm me ill see if I can help. Enjoy your stay and feel free to bring your evil guns we stil allow most all of it
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#27]
windy, cold and has the highest OBAMA care insurance premiums in the nations I believe it will be an average of $516 a month for the silver plan, enjoy
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nice day hikes, and you can rent canoes/kayaks on Jenny Lake for $16 an hour.  
View Quote

Speaking of hikes and Jenny Lake, probably the best first-day hike in the Tetons is the hike around Jenny Lake to Surprise Falls, then take the ferry boat back across. I know, taking the ferry probably sounds wimpy, but there are some incredible views looking back from the boat as it crosses the lake.

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Seems like it's pretty much covered but if you go to Utah Bryce Canyon is a must see.
View Quote

I haven't gotten to Bryce, Arches, or Canyonlands yet.

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I thought the jackson hole area was one of the nicest places i've been.  We went whitewater rafting on the snake river, hiking, touring the tetons and yellowstone.  I enjoyed it more than colorado, although colorado is probably better suited to outdoor activities.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
windy, cold and has the highest OBAMA care insurance premiums in the nations I believe it will be an average of $516 a month for the silver plan, enjoy
View Quote

Ya that's the most helpful post of all of them ..... How's the gun laws in Ct again oh ya enjoy
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Stick to Yellowstone country, Jackson Hole, Cody and as mentioned above, you'll have an outstanding vacation.   It's some of the most beautiful country in the United States.

The areas highlighted in green on this map, including Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP are where you should consider visiting...

Everything not green, pretty much looks like this...

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Stick to Yellowstone country, Jackson Hole, Cody and as mentioned above, you'll have an outstanding vacation.   It's some of the most beautiful country in the United States.

The areas highlighted in green on this map, including Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP are where you should consider visiting...

http://wyomingoutdoorcouncil.org/html/what_we_do/public_lands/images/WyomingNationalForests.jpg

http://www.nrmsc.usgs.gov/files/norock/research/shrubsteppe1-500.jpg
View Quote

Exactly....  That.  

Spend some time in Cody.   Great jumping off point to see some great sites.  Top of the World drive above Red Lodge MT, on the way to Yellowstone is a fantastic drive, and only a short drive from Cody.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Arent the kalifornia liberal scumbags taking over WY? I would hate to see that happen to one of the "wild west" states.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Western third of the state is beautiful, especially in the fall.  Go around September 1st for best weather and color.  

Yellowstone is enough of a reason to go.  I could spend a month there and leave wanting to come back.

Best way to go is through Montana on the Beartooth highway, it enters Yellowstone at the northeast entrance.  Just before you get to the entrance is
a scenic byway called the Chief Joseph highway, it is well worth the drive and comes out near Cody and the Museum is nice too.

In the fall when the color is right, you can't make a wrong turn, it's beautiful everywhere.  

If you like seeing wildlife, Yellowstone would be hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Very informative thread.

Son #1 graduates in December from MTI and the (diesel)  auto dealerships are making VERY good offers. He's thinking about it.

One of the places is in Casper, and...........I can't remember the other one
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Go see Fort Laramie and the Oregon trail. Up north to Casper too and fort Phil Kearny and Fetterman massacre battlefield.

View Quote

And if you get up around Sheridan you may as well go on to the Custer Battlefield........
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, Wyoming is beautiful, but when thinking back of the four weeks of my life I have spent vacationing in Wyoming, I cant think of one that wasnt either too cold, too windy and dust, or too damned hot.  If I was young again, what the hell.  Drunk in Jackson at the Cowboy Bar.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Wyoming is great.  The northwestern portion is absolutely beautiful.  Research the area from Pinedale to Jackson and Yellowsone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Wyoming is great.  The northwestern portion is absolutely beautiful.  Research the area from Pinedale to Jackson and Yellowsone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Exactly....  That.  

Spend some time in Cody.   Great jumping off point to see some great sites.  Top of the World drive above Red Lodge MT, on the way to Yellowstone is a fantastic drive, and only a short drive from Cody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://wyomingoutdoorcouncil.org/html/what_we_do/public_lands/images/WyomingNationalForests.jpg

http://www.nrmsc.usgs.gov/files/norock/research/shrubsteppe1-500.jpg

Exactly....  That.  

Bear tooth pass is breath taking !

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#43]
It's gods country
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And if you get up around Sheridan you may as well go on to the Custer Battlefield........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it's Montana, right. Not Wyoming :)

Of course, a must see too
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Colorado has everything you want
, and is prettier.
View Quote
Except for freedom...

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you're near Cheyenne, see Weedawoo Glen (pronounced Veedavoo). Right off the freeway.  Cool rocks.

Eastern side, Jackson Hole and the Tetons, along with Yellowstone.
View Quote

Vedauwoo (sp) "Land of the Earthborn Spirits"

Tree in Rock on I-80

Ames Monument at the same exit Vedauwoo is

Snowy Range

Oregon Trail Ruts and Register Cliff in Camp Guernsey

Fort Laramie
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#47]
You can see ICBM silos from the Interstate.

OK, the ones you can see in WY are mostly old Atlas silos. Head a little over into Nebraska, and there is a Minuteman III silo right at the end of the EB exit ramp for Dix, NE. A few miles west of there is an old Atlas silo that someone has been using for a house, and it has been up for sale for many years.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread seems relevant. Didn't get to do it this year, but I've been dying to do a roadtrip to Montana to camp for a few days then go south to Wyoming through Yellowstone and come back through Idaho on the way home...

They don't honor WA CPL, but they do Utah's so I'm golden to carry the whole trip too
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#49]
If you happen to be in Cody you MUST drive the Chief Joseph Highway and the Beartooth Highway and enter Yellowstone through the northeast entrance. Jackson isn't bad. I had fun at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, even though the city has a lot of rich boys wearing cowboy hats and sweaters. Gardiner MT is a nice town on the north entrance of the park. It isn't as touristy as West Yellowstone or Jackson, but there isn't nearly as much variety. Peak season is beautiful, but it gets really thick with people. I work for the park service in YNP and the park gets really nice when the park thins out and some snow hits the ground. September is a nice time to visit.

Do the Death Canyon hike in the Tetons. It's not really tough but there are some spectacular views and some good places to see moose along the trail.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Arent the kalifornia liberal scumbags taking over WY? I would hate to see that happen to one of the "wild west" states.
View Quote

The billionaires have pushed the millionaires out of Jackson, but as for the rest of the state, Casper and Cheyenne are seeing some influx, but after a winter here it's either move, or do the Borg Shuffle and "assimilate".

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top