Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/25/2013 6:08:03 AM EDT
...but when I do, I happen to have had my BCM trunk gun and S&W M&P9 in it.

Totally sucks. I went to dinner at Brio with co-workers last night in a nice part of town. The vehicle was parked caddy-corner across the street. Came out a little over an hour and POOF!!! No vehicle.

For those in Houston, it was at City Centre right. 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser with a shitload of Veteran stickers on the back windshield. Disabled Vet plates. SO IF ANYONE IN HOUSTON sees a WHITE FJ Crusier with Veteran stickers and Disabled Vet plates driving around, it's probably not me so call the PO PO!!!

QUESTION that I have: The insurance company says that my homeowner's policy will cover the items (WTF), but for those that have had any experience with this, what are the chances of my homeowner's policy going up if I submit the claim for the guns on my homeowner's policy???

Sucks that my car is gone, but I'm more concerned about the guns with my finger prints on them and the ammo. Yes it was repported, but I don't have the serial number for the AR since I built it over 5 years ago. Document all S/Ns moving forward.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
That really sucks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow. Any chance that it just got towed?
View Quote

this

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Ask Eric, he needed some more guns to send to Mexico.
I'm sure he will get them back for you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wow. Any chance that it just got towed?
View Quote
Nope, the office who came gave me the city tow / lot number that drivers are supposed to report their tows within an hour. It's been over 12 hours.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck that sucks--what di the police say?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
That really sucks.  I'd be more pissed about losing the guns than the car.  Hopefully all can be recovered.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Hope you get your property back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
"You always keep an AR in the car?"

Me: YEP.

In the future... probably not.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#10]
That sucks.  Sorry.  Hopefully it is just towed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Totally sucks. I went to dinner at Brio with co-workers last night in a nice part of town. The vehicle was parked caddy-corner across the street. Came out a little over an hour and POOF!!! No vehicle.

For those in Houston, it was at City Centre right. 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser with a shitload of Veteran stickers on the back windshield. Disabled Vet plates. SO IF ANYONE IN HOUSTON sees a WHITE FJ Crusier with Veteran stickers and Disabled Vet plates driving around, it's probably not me so call the PO PO!!!

QUESTION that I have: The insurance company says that my homeowner's policy will cover the items (WTF), but for those that have had any experience with this, what are the chances of my homeowner's policy going up if I submit the claim for the guns on my homeowner's policy???

View Quote

don't know for sure, but I'd tell the ins co. to get bent. why in God's name would your HO policy cover something stolen with your car?? Nothing like paying 2 deductibles to save the ins co some $$
tell them go fuck themselves and THEY need to cover it all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't that a transponder key?  So was it stolen by wrecker? All your keys accounted for?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Tagged for positive outcome.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow, that sucks.  Nothing worse than coming out to an empty parking spot.

I guess I'd better get off my ass and get an ignition override switch installed in the truck I picked up last week.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn.  Sorry dude.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:17:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

you can count on it
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

don't know for sure, but I'd tell the ins co. to get bent. why in God's name would your HO policy cover something stolen with your car?? Nothing like paying 2 deductibles to save the ins co some $$
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe home owners / renters insurance covers personal items in your vehicle.  Auto only covers the vehicle and its related parts/pieces.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#18]
My mothers purse got stolen out of her vehicle a few weeks back.

Car damages were under auto.

Purse was under homeowners.  - There was a pistol in the purse. She had to file the serial number with the county. FYI, if you haven't already.

Two deductibles.

All in all, the insurance covered brand new items of everything, but it still sucked for her. She was three states away with no money.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Sucks. Sorry
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:20:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what Kel-Tecs are for.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#21]
So, is this the new "boating accident" standard?

Seriously, sorry for your loss, I've had my shit stolen before, it's a kick to the nuts.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to say this is the way it works.  Problem is on most policies, unless there is a rider for firearms, the dollar value of firearms covered is very low.  This is why my most valuable and well travelled firearms are on a rider that covers them for most loss events.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Isn't that a transponder key?  So was it stolen by wrecker? All your keys accounted for?
View Quote
I'm not sure what a transponder key is, but if you're referring the one of those keyless fobs, then no. It's the regular key that you stick in the key hole and turn. Yes I have both keys.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Same thing happened to me over the summer.  Long story short thieves totaled the car insurance screwed me and homeowners insurance didnt cover shit even though it was stolen out of my driveway.  I hope your experience is better.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Your homeowners covers theft of certain items.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#26]
that is shitty

10/22 Takedown might be the right trunk gun afterall
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Did you check around to see if there are any security cameras, or traffic cams, that might have seen what happened?

Sorry to hear about this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#28]
That sucks.

Don't leave valuables in the car.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#30]
It sounds like who ever grabed your car got a sweet bonus.
The chop shop guys will be checking out your house now
to see what other goodies you might have.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn...You would think a 2011 FJ would be hard to steal?? around here its mostly older Chevys..sorry man
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#32]
suxs dude. hope you get all your shit back and the thieves get dick cancer.

This is exactly why i don't leave guns in a car.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Damn...You would think a 2011 FJ would be hard to steal?? around here its mostly older Chevys..sorry man
View Quote

The thieves might have yanked it with a tow truck.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Use your NRA Firearms Insurance Policy that came with your membership.  Should cover the cost of what you lost.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#35]
That sucks obama balls, sorry. That's one of the reasons  i never keep a trunk gun or leave any gun in my car. Hope you can recover it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#36]
It would IRK me greatly to have a weapon like an AR fall into the wrong hands.

Ye Olde Double Barrel with a few different loads might be a low-cost trunk gun option.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The value of the guns are probably not much above your deductible, so a claim may not make sense unless there was other stuff stolen as well.  Also most homeowner policies limit stolen guns to $1,000.00 unless you have a separate rider.  Are you a NRA member?  If so then you automatically have some limited coverage for theft.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks like it has a transponder or chipped key for the FJ so the thieves either have a key, know how to bypass the anti theft ot took it with a tow truck.    You could ask some of the other businesses in the area if they have security cameras that cover the area you FJ was parked in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Did you check around to see if there are any security cameras, or traffic cams, that might have seen what happened?

Sorry to hear about this.
View Quote
Yes sir. Me and the officer walked the AO. No exterior cameras noticed. I should have parked INSDE the bank.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what a transponder key is, but if you're referring the one of those keyless fobs, then no. It's the regular key that you stick in the key hole and turn. Yes I have both keys.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a key with a chip in it that has to "handshake" with the vehicle to start it.  Sounds like it was towed.  Call the owner of the lot and find out what service they use.  Call them directly.
edited to add - assuming you were in a lot, not on the street.  If on street, your vehicle is probably on its way to mexico in pieces.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Your HO insurance almost certainly has a $500 or $1000 limit on firearms.  Combine that with your $500 or $1000 deductible (or whatever it is) and you'll get nearly nothing.

I certainly don't meant to rub salt in a wound, but why do you feel the need to keep an AR in your trunk around town?  I'm not saying you shouldn't, as I'm a firm believer that people should do what they want, but I just never understood that line of thinking.  If I'm in my car and the need arises for a rifle, I'm getting the hell out of dodge.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It sounds like who ever grabed your car got a sweet bonus.
The chop shop guys will be checking out your house now
to see what other goodies you might have.
View Quote

My first thought too.

OP, if you dont have a GOOD safe and/or security system get one asap.  Thieves now know your address and that you have guns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I believe home owners / renters insurance covers personal items in your vehicle.  Auto only covers the vehicle and its related parts/pieces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I had a break in on my car many years ago, my subwoofer box wasn't covered by auto insurance because it wasn't BOLTED DOWN to the car.  Had I done that, it would have been covered.

My 10 disc changer was covered though as I had it bolted to the back seat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#45]
That really sucks man, hope they can recover something. I would be furious
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Houston...  Vehicle and guns are now in Mexico.

Been years since I was in Texas but at the time the big thing was to steel cars and head straight for the boarder.  Rental cars has a special device that you had to plug in before the car would start.

There was a (unsubstantiated) story going around about a guy who once had his truck stolen.  Some time later he got involved in something in Mexico requiring the local Sheriff.  The story goes that the Sheriff pulled up in his stolen truck.  The story may be BS but the car thefts were real.  I used to joke about taking a trip to south Texas when I had a truck that I was upside down on...
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Probably in case he has to shoot his way out of Dodge.

I don't keep a gun in my vehicle because of shit like this, but it does make sense to keep one there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your HO insurance almost certainly has a $500 or $1000 limit on firearms.  Combine that with your$500 or $1000 deductible (or whatever it is) and you'll get nearly nothing.

I certainly don't meant to rub salt in a wound, but why do you feel the need to keep an AR in your trunk around town?  I'm not saying you shouldn't, as I'm a firm believer that people should do what they want, but I just never understood that line of thinking.  If I'm in my car and the need arises for a rifle, I'm getting the hell out of dodge.

Probably in case he has to shoot his way out of Dodge.

I don't keep a gun in my vehicle because of shit like this, but it does make sense to keep one there.

That's what beater guns are for.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be my guess.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

you can count on it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can count on it

Generally speaking, most insurance companies are barred from raising rates due to a criminal act.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top