Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/23/2013 10:48:44 AM EDT
WAVY: Boys suspended for airsoft guns in yard
"VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Monday, a suspended seventh grade Virginia Beach student will find out if he is expelled for the rest of the year for shooting an airsoft gun.

Like thousands of others in Hampton Roads, Khalid Caraballo plays with airsoft guns. Caraballo and his friend Aidan were suspended because they shot two other friends who were with them while playing with the guns as they waited for the bus to come.

WAVY News’ Andy Fox spoke with Khalid and asked if he took the gun to the bus stop or school. Khalid answered “No, sir,” to both questions."
Video at link.
ETA added video
911 Call
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Idiots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Uhh, the pussification of the American male rages on.        

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Wait... suspended for something harmless that happened OFF school grounds? Lawyer time
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#4]
They're really taking this in loco parentis bullshit seriously.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wait... suspended for something harmless that happened OFF school grounds? Lawyer time
View Quote

Yup!

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

This. OWN that school district by the time their lawyer is done...

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, this shit has gotten beyond absurd. If this keeps up, eventually children who have gun owning parents will be barred from public schools.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to BHOs new america.

Phase 1.
    Use tragedies to take away firearms.

Phase 1.
   Brainwash next generation and make them afraid of firearms.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, with a side of
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#10]
As a boy my friends and I would run the neighborhood playing 'Army' with full size black plastic M16s, this was before blaze orange muzzles.  I could only imagine what would happen to a group of boys doing that today.  I suspect they would be arrested and taken to jail and the parents stripped of custody.

I fear at some point I will have to deal with the idiocy that is 'zero tolerance' first hand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#11]
"Zero Tolerance" is a lazy way to run anything
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess you're one of those troglodytes who thinks he owns his child.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly!  There's no grounds for suspension.

Granted I think the kids are fucking idiots for shooting at each other, but... if this is allowed to pass, then what's to stop them from suspending all children who own airguns.  Or children who have been taught how to fire real guns by their parents / guardians?

They are overstepping their rights here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Didn't watch it but if it happened "at the bus stop" they treat them as school property, not that it can't be fought.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#16]
The school isn't responsible for them until they get on the bus
I call BullS**T!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/hAAMGatMHss
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I was in grade school in the sixites.  We couldn't take toy guns to school then , either.  This was in a blue collar river town, not some liberal mecca.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Shame on us. We need to fight back.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Lol, I remember in one class in high school one of the trouble makers had a tiny airsoft pistol up his hoodie sleeve, watching him shoot others when we were supposed to be quiet was rather amusing
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And if she's feeling froggy, she can come and try to take him.  What she'd end up taking is two to the chest and one to the head.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

My Grandmother got to experience that first-hand in the Ukraine after the Commies took over.

10 years old and "given" to a Commune farm as slave labor.

Fuck... that... shit.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was in grade school in the sixites.  We couldn't take toy guns to school then , either.  This was in a blue collar river town, not some liberal mecca.
View Quote

Huh?  Where did it say he took it to school?

I think the schools should inspect every student's home to be sure they only play with approved toys.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Posession is 9/10 of the law, biotch! Molon rugrat!
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

they always have. people think I am crazy when I tell them that if your child goes to public school, you no longer are the guardian of your child. the public school system is.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#28]
So apparently the Virginia Beach BOE code says this:

Virginia law gives the school board the power to make reasonable rules for the government of the schools and to regulate the conduct of students going to and returning from school.

Students shall be under the jurisdiction of the rules and regulations governing school activities while in transit to and from school as a pedestrian in route to the bus or at the bus stop and while riding on a school bus.
View Quote

So they claim they are in charge of your kids as soon as they walk out the door in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I grew up in SE OK in the 70's and 80's. we took rifles and shotguns to go hunting after school. we checked them in at the principles office.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I wish they would have posted the name of the school. We could have given them our 2 cents directly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Didn't watch it but if it happened "at the bus stop" they treat them as school property, not that it can't be fought.
View Quote

Thats pretty obvious
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That right there should send a chill up your spine (if its not already been removed by the .gov and its insidious agents) regarding where the "progressives" want to take this country.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

Quoted:

Especially the "loco" part.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#36]
...got to break those bumpkins away from their Bibles and guns.  If public schools are administered locally why is it that ones in conservative precincts end up being run by liberal douche nozzles?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#38]
How does an Airsoft gun constitute a firearm. Why would you want your child in an institution with so much ignorance. Is a Nerf gun now a firearm, is a squirt gun a firearm. is a Stick that is shaped like and wielded in the fashion of a gun a firearm. What if a kid just imagines a toy gun not even pointing his finger does that constitute a firearm?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WAVY News’ Andy Fox spoke with Khalid and asked if he took the gun to the bus stop or school. Khalid answered “No, sir,” to both questions."

Besides "bus stop" doesn't automatically mean "school property" anyway.  Where I grew up the bus stopped in front of my driveway.  I'm sure that hasn't gone away entirely yet.

and that's what this sounds like...  kids fucking around on private property.
now if it turns out that they did bring the airsoft to the school etc, or to a public bus stop that's a different story, but for now it sounds like a school trying to extend their jurisdiction to private property.

Quoted:
How does an Airsoft gun constitute a firearm. Why would you want your child in an institution with so much ignorance. Is a Nerf gun now a firearm, is a squirt gun a firearm. is a Stick that is shaped like and wielded in the fashion of a gun a firearm. What if a kid just imagines a toy gun not even pointing his finger does that constitute a firearm?

Sadly... yes.  Schools have punished students for "finger guns" and pop-tarts in the shape of guns (to me it looked more like Idaho).  Oh and for NRA shirts, and facebook posts too don't forget.

they've gone off the deep fucking end... into an empty pool. head first.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Silly peasant the children are state property! The government will decide what is best from them not some fools cling to their guns and religion.

Seems like the Carlisle all over again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#41]
But we were the only City in Hampton Roads that went red last year.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"Zero Tolerance" is a lazy way to run anything
View Quote

Zero Tolerance was meant to be a blanket to protect the Administrators and Educators from cries of 'Racism!'

TRG
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, but this type of shit is pretty common. I.e. punishments for stuff unrelated to school and off grounds.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

What "bus stop"?

My "bus stop" growing up was the corner of 2 blocks in my subdividsion.  Which is how it works here in the subdivision I currently live in.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A teacher tried that with me in high school.

I got into a fight off school grounds (over a mile away) after school. The guy told a teacher the next day when the teacher asked about the black eye. The teacher then went to the Dean and I got called into the office. The teacher and Dean tried to threaten me with the police. I told them to "go ahead and get the school police officer in here". They called him and he came in, they relayed the story, and he asked for clarification on where the fight took place. I told him where and he looks at the teacher and Dean like they were the biggest fucking morons on Earth and said it wasn't on school property so they had no jurisdiction. So he walked out and went on his way. They still tried to BS me with a suspension so I said "good luck with that" and walked out.

Now the police officer was a cool guy and had a good relationship with the students. He stopped me in the hall and told me to "cut that shit out". I had an assistant Dean get from my next class and haul me to the Principal's office. He didn't try to BS me with the other stuff just told me to get my life together and make something of myself. Good guy IMO. He retired the day I graduated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A teacher tried that with me in high school.

I got into a fight off school grounds (over a mile away) after school. The guy told a teacher the next day when the teacher asked about the black eye. The teacher then went to the Dean and I got called into the office. The teacher and Dean tried to threaten me with the police. I told them to "go ahead and get the school police officer in here". They called him and he came in, they relayed the story, and he asked for clarification on where the fight took place. I told him where and he looks at the teacher and Dean like they were the biggest fucking morons on Earth and said it wasn't on school property so they had no jurisdiction. So he walked out and went on his way. They still tried to BS me with a suspension so I said "good luck with that" and walked out.

Now the police officer was a cool guy and had a good relationship with the students. He stopped me in the hall and told me to "cut that shit out". I had an assistant Dean get from my next class and haul me to the Principal's office. He didn't try to BS me with the other stuff just told me to get my life together and make something of myself. Good guy IMO. He retired the day I graduated.

Here, an individual would face school consequences if the off campus behavior seriously disrupted the educational process. In some instances, an off campus fight could do that the next day when students were caught up discussing the fight  (instead of participating in class), etc...
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
And if she's feeling froggy, she can come and try to take him.  What she'd end up taking is two to the chest and one to the head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll provide cover while you reload.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Besides "bus stop" doesn't automatically mean "school property" anyway.  Where I grew up the bus stopped in front of my driveway.  I'm sure that hasn't gone away entirely yet.

now if it turns out that they did bring the airsoft to the school etc, or to a public bus stop that's a different story, but for now it sounds like a school trying to extend their jurisdiction to private property.
Sadly... yes.  Schools have punished students for "finger guns" and pop-tarts in the shape of guns (to me it looked more like Idaho).  Oh and for NRA shirts, and facebook posts too don't forget.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WAVY News’ Andy Fox spoke with Khalid and asked if he took the gun to the bus stop or school. Khalid answered "No, sir,” to both questions."

Quoted:

I do not recall them classifying the pop tart as a firearm. If memory serves me right he got in trouble for making it look like a firearm and not making a firearm. It is a much bigger leap into the pool of insanity to start classifying pop tarts as firearms. that was my point

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Suspending a kid for playing with a toy OFF school grounds? WTF?

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top