Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2001 8:39:11 AM EDT
Do you guys ever get tired of the gun show a$$holes that you meet at the range?  Share your stories.  For instance:

Last year I was zeroing my DCM rifle at the range when I struck up a competition with another shooter.  He was out blazing away with his Mini-14 until smoke began to roll off the barrel - that's no great feat with a mini anyway!

He asked me about my rifle and I told him it was my match mouse gun.  He then began to regail me with stories of his great and amazing prowess with his accurized Mini-14.  I think what he meant by "accurized" was that it had an official good time Ramline stock.  He then said that he always wanted an AR to shoot in the DCM/NRA service rifle matches.  

He asked how much it would cost to get him into one.  I told him what I had put into mine (Krieger free floated 1/7.75 tube, Armalite two-stage trigger, DPMS stainless lower, Fulton NM sights, Young Mfg NM carrier etc.)  He then laughed and said that he could get a real COLT pre-ban at THE GUN SHOW for $400.  You see, according to him, his friend had an FFL and could get him anything - new - for pennies on the dollar.  

I told him good luck and then slung up for another slow fire session.  He sauntered to his car and said that he'd be back to outshoot me at the match.  

I never saw him again.  I sure wonder if his "friend with the FFL" ever got him his brand new pre-ban COLT for $400?
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#1]
BS,BS,BS,BS you just gotta luv it. What's really amazing is they believe themselves.Tell it to the hand,because my face don't wanta hear it!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, I know where I can get a Colt pre-ban for just a couple buck's myself and you can too!

First, find the gun you want at your local firearms dealer. Then go to your local lumbar yard and buy a brick for $2.19, then at midnight......
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I am so sick of peoples BS. I am a painter and when I get my paint in the mornings you got the new painters talking alot of s it. How fast they paint how they make 100k a year. All BS. I see the same thing at the gun shows and ranges. I am getting to tired(physicaly and mentaly) for BS from all people. I had guns for 15 years and I am painting the same amount and you just can't fool people with experience. I am getting to be a nasty SOB as I get older cause of the BS in life.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully you run into him at the range again. IF no rifle, persistently ask him what happened to the deal with his friend with the FFL.

IF he does have one, and "claims" to have paid $400 for it, ask him what he had to "do" for his "buddy" to get it at that price. Or ask him how his knees are feeling. Anyone remember the definition of a "buddy"? I wont give it here.

LOUGOZZ---I am a ceramic tile setter, and know exactly what you are talking about. There must be the same magic additive floating around out there that both painters and tile setters are adding to the mix that makes them work faster and more efficiently. I hear the same thing all the time as well. It gets pretty old.
It is probably a little blow confusing them, or allowing them to work 22 hours a day.

Brian

Link Posted: 4/13/2001 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
How much of an a$$hole can the dealers at a gun show be???

Bring them a new rifle that has only been removed from the box to show them what it looks like. They will inspect it will a magnifying glass, place there finger in the little grooves, get the calculator, contemplate than turn to you and say, "The best I can offer is $2.00, but if you want to trade for something I can give you $5.00"
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
jeepboy,
What part of Florida are you in? I like Florida very much. I think I will end up there or Texas in the future. NY Sucks. I have friends and family in Florida and Have a CCW there myself.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Gun shows sure have changed over the years.  I went to a gun show last week here in SC and only a very few tables were what I call "straight up" dealers.  I understand that a man has to make a living, but some of the prices and BS stories do as much harm for the shooting sports as anti's do (just my opinion).
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have always said it. The gun dealers are just gouging the people. They are not in it for the repeat business. Think about it. How many guns can the average guy buy? If he/she is like the people on thins forum he buys a few more then normal. But the average person who wants a gun for protection and doesnt care about the 2nd amendment. He will buy 1 or 2 in his life. It is a dead field to be in to make a living. The only ones that will make money are the outdoor stores. Hunting,fishing,camping,military surplus, gun, hiking shoes. the whole nine yards. And not many like that exists.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
jeepboy,
What part of Florida are you in? I like Florida very much. I think I will end up there or Texas in the future. NY Sucks. I have friends and family in Florida and Have a CCW there myself.
View Quote

For a gun friendly area, TX would sure be hard to beat.

I live in central Florida. If you can put up with the nauseating political control of the Orlando area by Disney corp. then I would WELCOME another AR/gun man. Other than that, they have cool concealed carry laws, a gunshow somewhere in the local area about every month, (funny we should be dissing gun shows on this thread), and good shooting weather year around if you can stand the heat.
However, depending on what part of NY you are from, you will undoubtedly miss the scenery of NY. I was from a small town on the border of Jersey, Penn, and NY called Port Jervis. Moved when I was 7 so I didnt get around much. The town is/was a dump, but the scenery in the mountains was beautiful.

There is an excellent local outdoor gun club/range here I just joined. I have been shooting monthly IDPA competition there for 2 1/2 years now, and just now joined so I can take advantage of it year around. It has an action range set up with about 8 different stages to run scenarios, as well as 50, 100, and 300 yd ranges.

Email me if you want.
Brian
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
reminds me my mom wanted to move to florida so i told her well i guess ill have to hold your guns for ya
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top