Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2002 1:37:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT to see if someone can give the ballistic protection level.  

ANYONE???
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It's probably the same or less than the protective level of the old USGI Kevlar vests.  About a Level IIA.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of camo is this for ,Hiding in a jelly bean factory?

[img]http://www.tapco.com/item_pics/md/SUR0501_md.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I was asking this same thing on another gun board, couldn't get an answer either really.  If any of them are even rated to stop any handgun rounds at all I'll probably get one.  I just don't want something that is only for flak and won't even stop a freakin .32 round...
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#6]
There was a bill passed, but only in the facist republic of kalifornistan.  They passed it after that wild bank shootout 10 years ago.  (Land of knee jerk politics for sure.)

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Fellas, let me give you the scoop. Until only just recently, the military didn't issue bulletproof vests. The stuff that is on the market now is NOT, I repeat NOT, bullet proof. It's for protection of troops from shrapnell. It will not defeat any direct small arms fire. That funky camo is Swiss Alpenflage, and it does a superior job in the mountains.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.tapco.com/item_pics/md/SUR0501_md.jpg[/url]
View Quote

The colors are the same as the flowers, vegetation, etc. in Switzerland.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Biggest enemy to kevlar and other ballistic materials is heat, particularly direct exposure to sunlight. There was a posting concerning this on the Cop Talk forum on GlockTalk.com some time ago concerning armor that was stored in trunks of squad cars.

Like other chemical processes, heat is a catalyst that breaks down the materials composition. Sweat (particularly the salts and acids) also deteriorate the material. With proper cleaning and care, ballistic armor can last for a long time and actually becomes more comfortable with age. It should however be replaced every few years as recommended by the manufacturers just to be certain.

The most important lesson about equipment taught to me at the police academy was "how much is your life worth?"
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I might be talking out my ass here, but I heard that body armor deteriorates with time...  I am remembering a discussion on this board...  It might have been with use (sweat, etc.) instead of time... Can anyone set me straight?
View Quote

I'm pretty sure it is use also.  Sweat & ultrviolet light exposure take their toll.  Just sitting on a shelf for several years won't wear it out.  Same thing Re motorcycle helmets, it doesn't matter how long it's sat on the self, it's not a carton of milk.  Some of the "replace old vests/helmet/etc" hype is simply marketing but still, why take a chance.  Re "it will not defeat small arms fire", "small arms fire" covers a lot of ground, including .30-06 AP & higher.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fellas, let me give you the scoop. Until only just recently, the military didn't issue bulletproof vests. The stuff that is on the market now is NOT, I repeat NOT, bullet proof. It's for protection of troops from shrapnell. It will not defeat any direct small arms fire. That funky camo is Swiss Alpenflage, and it does a superior job in the mountains.  
View Quote

Actually, PASGT Kevlar was/is bullet-resistant (no vests are "bullet-proof").  It rates about a IIA in protective value.  It WILL stop low-velocity projectiles (i.e. pistol rounds), I've seen it first hand.  A well-shot-up PASGT vest (shot literally about 100 times with 7.62mm NATO and 5.56mm NATO) still consistently stopped .45 hollow-points and ball from both a pistol and a sub-machinegun (longer barrel, higher velocity).  It also stopped 9mm HP and ball from pistols and sub-machineguns, as well as buckshot and slugs at ranges of 10 and 50 yards.  

I have no idea what the protective value of the European stuff is, but as cheap as it is, you might buy two and test one.  It won't stop rifle rounds, but it might stop shotgun slugs and pistol rounds if it is constructed of Kevlar to the same standards as USGI.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.tapco.com/item_pics/md/SUR0501_md.jpg[/url]
View Quote

I use it to deer hunt (ground hunting, not while in a tree stand). It works very well in the fall leaves.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Guys, I'm gonna restate my original post. THIS IS NOT BULLET RESISTANT BODY ARMOR. It is meant for protection against shrapnell. DO NOT mistake it as a cheap alternative to a bullet proof vest. IT WON'T WORK IN THAT CAPACITY! It looks neat, and is cool to have as a collector's piece. But DON'T bet your life on it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top