Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2002 1:17:00 PM EDT

[V]

[img]http://vikingphoenix.com/photos/lastmanstanding.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
THAT IS A POWERFUL PICTURE! THAT IS GOING IN THE ARCHIVES!!! hell, maybe I even BTT.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Priceless.. That picture speaks volumes....
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You see that kind of shit at cities all the time.  Patriotism is considered anachronistic by the "intellectual" and "cosmopolitan" city-dwellers (patricularly the NorEasters).  At local baseball games (as well as all the other school sports games) here in central VA, people still stand, place their hat or hand over their heart, sing along, or shut the fuck up when the colors are presented and the Anthem is played.  

I get physically ill when I watch major league sports (particularly MLB) and you see the yahoos in the crowd talking, getting beer and hotdogs and sitting when our Anthem is being played.  It makes me want to reach through the TV and throttle them.

Am I weird for standing and putting my hand over my heart in my living room when the Anthem is played on TV?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
COMPLETELY opposite to this past year's 4th of July parade in my town.  EVERYONE was standing; most were singing the National Anthem along with the band; all removed their caps and had their hands over their hearts.  

It was moving.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
As I look at that picture, I can't help but think of what country all those sitting turds wish they belonged in. I rarely get pissed about stuff, but that is truly pathetic. It should be run as a commercial on every cable network.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll bet that man is a Marine !!!   SEMPER FI !!

To all those lazy, disrespectful assholes sitting there......FUCK YOU !!!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
That picture makes me sick. I have people like that at my school, we have assemblies and when we say the Pledge of Allegiance nobody stands not even last year on Veterans day, even after 9-11...What a bunch of Commies
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Something tells me that that guy is a vet.

Good for him.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you ex-military types still salute during the anthem at local ball games or other gatherings where the flag is presented or the anthem is played?

I do, and sometimes I begin to feel like an idiot when everyone else just sits there and I am the only one standing and not only am I standing, I am saluting.  But then I quickly remember what the flag and the anthem mean to me and everybody else can kiss my ass.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
That looks like Market Street in San Francisco.  That would explain a lot

But it also looks like that photo may have been taken a long ago.  Bank of America has changed their logo since then.  I haven't seen a sign like that in a long time.  

I guess if it were today, you'd see freaks protesting, and "Bush is a murderer" signs
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I get the point behind the photo, but it really is taken out of context.

I see people standing under the US bank sign.
You guys don't see them?

I also see a row of old fat hags as the people in question.

I think you all should look at this photo for what it was intended to be, and old crippled VET, who will still stand for his country.

Not a bunch of old large women that don't stand during these events.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you ex-military types still salute during the anthem at local ball games or other gatherings where the flag is presented or the anthem is played?

I do, and sometimes I begin to feel like an idiot when everyone else just sits there and I am the only one standing and not only am I standing, I am saluting.  But then I quickly remember what the flag and the anthem mean to me and everybody else can kiss my ass.
View Quote

I guarantee that man was (and obviously still is) a U.S. Marine.  Marines out of uniform do not salute, we stand at attention.  I do not know about the other services.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Navy rules:

In Uniform:

Salute the flag when it is six paces from the viewer and hold it until the flag has passed six paces beyond.

Salute the flag at the first note of the National Anthem and hold the salute until the last note is played.

In formation the senior military person renders the salute, all others in the formation will stand at attention.

If in uniform without a cover and colors are rendered stand at attention facing the flag.

When in civilian attire men remove hats and hold at left shoulder with hand over heart; without hat, place right hand, palm open, over heart, a hand salute is not given.

Women should place right hand, palm open, over heart, a hand salute is not given.

When in athletic clothing, face the flag or music, remove hat or cap and stand at attention; a hand salute is not given.

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Redmanfms,

What's with the "Noreast" remark ?   I've been here in the Noreast all my life, We still stand...salute or place our hats and hands over our hearts here as well.  

As for the people that don't ....well I guess they have that right...weather I like it or not.

W
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate to be a critic, but WELCOME TO YESTERDAY!

That pic has been here a few times before. I agree it is sad to see so many americans who have no respect for the flag. But alas, 'tis a topic that has already been discussed.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#17]
NAM, if it has already been discussed then why are you reading it again? Kiss my ass.

That is a sad picture. Always brings a tear to my eyes when I see people doing crap like that.

Edited to add:

NAM, you have only been here for what, four months? Show a little respect. If not for The_Macallan then for the patriotic man in the wheelchair.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, Macallan.  Consider it archived.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#19]
It is a strong image, I admit.  But look carefully at the way the image is framed.  The subject in the wheel chair is prominently situated in the foreground and 4 other folks tightly grouped together in the BG.  The photographer cropped his photograph this way for a reason.  I'm sure if we had a wider picture ( a bigger picture, that is) people wouldn't be so eager to cry a river.

Lets Lighten Up America.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I do. Every time I pass the Flag, or Hear the National Anthem, or am at a Military Funeral (been to too many of those as of late) Most people just sit there and stare at me like I'm some freak. Shows just how much they know or care about the land they live in, and the men and women who made it possible for them to do so.
[:(]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maybe you can to by getting your point across without requesting that he kiss parts of your anatomy![;)]
View Quote

LOL!!!

AGREED!

No disrespect was meant. I was simply trying to point out that this particular pic had already been posted and discussed. No point wasting bandwidth on an already covered subject. It's repetetive topics and stuff of the sort that bogs the board down and makes luxuries like the search function disappear [;)]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
NAM, if it has already been discussed then why are you reading it again? Kiss my ass.

Edited to add:

NAM, you have only been here for what, four months? Show a little respect.
View Quote

Maybe you can to by getting your point across without requesting that he kiss parts of your anatomy![;)]
View Quote

That was kind of what i was thinking too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#24]
NAM, this should have stayed on the topic so I will reply to it like it was posted on the topic:

IM from NAM

NAM - 11/7/2002 6:37:49 PM

"NAM, you have only been here for what, four months? Show a little respect. If not for The_Macallan then for the patriotic man in the wheelchair."

Sir,

Kindly fuck off. I was informing this chap that this topic has already been covered. THere is no point in bringing it up again. What about the hourly topic regarding the loss of the search feature? repetetive topics get old.
Kiss MY ass, and the gentleman's in the wheelchair.
View Quote

I have never seen this picture. Not on this board or anywhere else. Should I not be able to see it because you have?

If you see a topic that you have already seen, just don't read or reply to it. A simple solution for a nonexistant problem.

I would like to thank The_Macallan for posting this picture as otherwise I would never have seen it. Keep this "repetitive" stuff coming. [:D]

PS. NAM, most of the stuff you have seen here had probably been "covered" before you even started posting at this fine site.

PSS. Striker, I could try but it never comes across as effective without anatomy kissin' in there. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess that I should explain why I took such offense to NAMs post. NAM went out of his way to post on a topic that he admittedly had seen several times before. This post was derrogatory towards the topic author and not needed in any way. It was a post designed to start a problem. I realize that I am now the one causing and continuing the problem so I will stop but it really pushes my buttons when someone goes out of their way to be rude or inconsiderate.

Sorry to everbody else that had to read this crap.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I guess that I should explain why I took such offense to NAMs post. NAM went out of his way to post on a topic that he admittedly had seen several times before. This post was derrogatory towards the topic author and not needed in any way. It was a post designed to start a problem. I realize that I am now the one causing and continuing the problem so I will stop but it really pushes my buttons when someone goes out of their way to be rude or inconsiderate.

Sorry to everbody else that had to read this crap.
View Quote

No disrespect was meant in any way, shape, or form; vegetable, animal, or mineral. Maybe the "welcome to yesterday" was pushing it, but it was meant purely in jest. On with the thread!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#27]
GEE i usta know a panhandler in Berkly that could do that.....
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are truly patriotic then follow the rules. Only military salutes the flag, we civilians place our right hands over our hearts or remove our headgear if we are wearing it and place that over our hearts. You aren't one of those "patriotic" types who flys a ragged flag 24 hours a day are you?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't no nothing about saluting, but I stand for the colora and anthem when I watch sporting events on TV.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#30]
If the sight of the American flag accompanied by the USMC flag dosen't get your ASS up...and in a hurry. What will?

How absolutely SAD!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#31]
just maybe the grand marshall ask for just the vets to rise. just maybe  

but i could be wrong.

just my $.03

flame suit on.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
just maybe the grand marshall ask for just the vets to rise. just maybe  

but i could be wrong.

just my $.03

flame suit on.
View Quote

hehe I hope your suit works.

1. The vets would have stood anyway (obviously)
2. EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE BEEN STANDING NO        MATTER WHAT THE PARADE WHORE SAID
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That looks like Market Street in San Francisco.  That would explain a lot

But it also looks like that photo may have been taken a long ago.  Bank of America has changed their logo since then.  I haven't seen a sign like that in a long time.  

I guess if it were today, you'd see freaks protesting, and "Bush is a murderer" signs
View Quote

Sure does.  Market/New Montgomery.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I seen it on here before too, no big deal, makes me proud of some people.

Thing is the first page of replies looks the same to me.[>:/] I was looking at dates thinking something was wrong.

De-ja vu, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn't think you were supposed to salute the flag unless your in full uniform...

IF your not in uniform your supposed to stand and put your hand over your heart.

and damn you if you don't.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Didn't think you were supposed to salute the flag unless your in full uniform...

IF your not in uniform your supposed to stand and put your hand over your heart.

and damn you if you don't.
View Quote

DING! DING! DING!

You win the cookie for the day. When in civilian attire, stand, face the flag. When the National Anthem or To the colors is played, you place your hand over your heart, whilst standing and facing the flag. In uniform, of course, you salute.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#37]

I didn't see it first time around. Sorry to be wasting so much bandwidth here. [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#38]
What time is the group hug gonna be?

It makes no differance if the picture is 2 years old or 202 years old them sorry pieces of worthless garbage needs to get up off their ar$e and so some respect![devil]
You think in China they let people just sit there?
Well this is the land of the FREE...But it wouldn't be if people before us had not gave their life for that "Right".

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top