Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2002 11:09:31 AM EDT
I would have but got "volunteered" to go to Eareckson Air Station last Thursday, Oct. 30.  I left Huntsville, AL Monday AM and didn't have time to do an absentee ballot before I left.

For those that don't know, EAS is located on Shemya Island, the second to last island in the Aleution Island chain in Alaska.  Its about 1500 miles from Anchorage and probably +5000 miles from Madison, AL.  Oh well, the foods good and free.

Hopefully, I'll be back in time for Thanksgiving.

Regards,

Merlin
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a friend that was stationed there about 20 years ago.

I was trying for Adak.

Can you atleast shoot when the weather permits?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't able to vote either since I'm TDY and didn't get my absentee application in time. Good thing is Bush won as gov :)
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, well, well.  Lots of Cold War history there.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry man
    Too bad you didn't get a chance to blow all of the Democraps out of the water. But it happened anyway!
    Just be thankful the Dems figured they would've lost anyway.
    Adios!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn I bet it gets cold there!

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Dave,

No privately owned firearms are allowed on the island.  I've only been here for one full day, so I don't know about any other USAF for contractor guns.  I doubt it.

Being cold is relative:  compared to Ft. Greely (another vacation spot that I'll probably be sent to in the future) is much colder.  Since Shemya is surrounded by water, temps are moderated somewhat.  

Interesting history on this island.  I hope to see some of the WWII bunkers before I leave.

Regards,

Merlin
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
My friend was there when the KAL flight was shot down. He never told me more than that but when I asked him about it, he couldn't discuss it, even to this day.

Hope your stay is short.

dave
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I departed Misawa on Red 20 when KAL 007 got shot down.  Shemya has a lot of WW II history, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top