Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/15/2013 8:38:02 AM EDT
I'm pricing 2 new phones for the wife and I, with data and insurance closing in on $175/mo for service and that's after I drop $400 for the phones and then $36/line more for activation. Frankly, I'm kinda sick of paying for this shit and they're higher than a giraffes ass if they think I'm gonna spend that.

A friend had Cricket but when he was out of the coverage area the caller just got a recording saying he as out of the area, call back later, no voicemail, no nothing.

I want something similar to a regular cell, no data, just talk and text. Good coverage. Prepaid is fine, full price flip phone/slide phone/tic tac phone is fine.

Anyone have something similar they're pleased with? I'm more worried about consistent coverage than cool phones and perks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a new droid and pay $35 a month. Virgin Mobile. I think $55 is unlimited everything, so $110 for 2 phones.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been using straight talk and love it. Unlimited talk, text and data.

$49 a month after taxes. No contract and you can get phones that use either the ATT network or the Verizon network depending on which is better in your area.

My wife's contract ran out so she is switching too. The current ATT bill is $140 a month without any data plan or texting plan.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

$49 a month after taxes. No contract and you can get phones that use either the ATT network or the Verizon network depending on which is better in your area.

My wife's contract ran out so she is switching too. The current ATT bill is $140 a month without any data plan or texting plan.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Ting.com

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#5]
That's easy... It's the one with the shittiest service...
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

This

Wife and I have been using this for about 2 years now, our phones use the AT&T network $98 a month for both after taxes unlimited everything.

Now you can even get the latest Samsungs and iPhones if you want to pony up $600-800. You can also get very basic phones and a $30 plan IIRC

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got Virgin Mobile, $50 a month unlimited text and data with 1200 minutes.

I'm currently on a road trip around the US, and I've covered about 23 states so far. The only places I didn't have service were out in the boonies, like southern Montana (I couldn't even get a radio station, much less a cell signal). I had service in the Virgin Islands too.

I'm fairly happy with Virgin but I'm sorta considering switching to Straight Talk.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got a new droid and pay $35 a month. Virgin Mobile. I think $55 is unlimited everything, so $110 for 2 phones.
View Quote

+1. Just switched to Virgin Mobile last month. $45/mo for 1200 minutes and unlimited data (well, more than I'll ever use). AT&T can suck my balls.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Ting.com

uses Sprints network, and they only charge you for time used.  If you buy or have a smartphone w/ wifi access, most of your use is free.

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out AT&T's new AIO service.  It's prepaid and as low as $40 a month and has small data, text and unlimited calls.

AIO

I've been with AT&T for 5 years with pretty good service and coverage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Depends.  Group/family plan vs individual plans.  Prepaid vs monthlies.  How many minutes, data, texts.

Prepaid Net10 is as little as $15 per mo paid quarterly depending on use.  $0.10 per min, $0.05 per text.

For family plans, we have 4 iphones brought over post contract to tmobile with unlimited domestic  talk and text, 500mb data for $100 per month, no contracts.  Cost was $0.96 each to transfer (for the tmobile SIM cards).

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I got a straight talk at Walmart a few months ago.  $45 unlimited everything and uses a Samsung Galaxy phone and Verizone or ATT network.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any roaming? Where do I go to get started?
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I am currently using straight talk and cant complain, had Verizon and got tired of the bill being over $150 a month for two phones 700 minutes of which at most 125 was used unlimited text and data, I have an android based phone and a prepaid unlimited talk text and web card only runs me about 45 bucks and I have better service than Verizon in certain areas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Lycamobile.

Pay as you go. 2 cents a minute, voice only.  Works off t mobile carriers.  No contract, any unlocked gsm sim card phone works.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Going to go with the crowd and give my thumbs up to Straight Talk.  My wife and I have the $30 each plan and it is more then enough talk and data for us.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nationwide coverage, Canada too I think.

Go to Walmart if you want one of the their phones. Red map on the box is Verizon phone, blue is ATT. You can also just order a sim card from their website and use it in any phone that will take one.

I got the Huawei Windows phone and it performs quite well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Going to go with the crowd and give my thumbs up to Straight Talk.  My wife and I have the $30 each plan and it is more then enough talk and data for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to do that plan but I wanted to see how much data I actually used. I stream Pandora while I work and browse a good bit during wait times. I exceeded the limit halfway through the first month.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#19]
So if my wife has a Sprint iPhone 4S, can she use it on Straight talk or will we need to sell it and get a Verizon phone?

Also, I need a new phone since my Sii sucks walls of balls. Can I buy any phone on any network or do I need to get a specific one?
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ting.com

uses Sprints network, and they only charge you for time used.  If you buy or have a smartphone w/ wifi access, most of your use is free.

View Quote

I will check that out.  We use Net10 on our smartphone ($45 / mo) but I am installing a new GSM module for the alarm and it would only need a couple minutes of talk time and a couple hundred texts a month for notifications.  Looks like that would be around $15 for up to 500 texts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was going to do that plan but I wanted to see how much data I actually used. I stream Pandora while I work and browse a good bit during wait times. I exceeded the limit halfway through the first month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cant really beat straight talks unlimited talk text and web for 45 and as far as I can tell theres no data limit...at least that ive found yet and im on the internet and whatnot alot
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Check out AT&T's new AIO service.  It's prepaid and as low as $40 a month and has small data, text and unlimited calls.

AIO

I've been with AT&T for 5 years with pretty good service and coverage.
View Quote

AIO is great coverage, I pay 55 month for unlimited talk/text +2gigs internet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

I run two iPhones with AT&T for 140 a month including the data plans and unlimited texting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So if my wife has a Sprint iPhone 4S, can she use it on Straight talk or will we need to sell it and get a Verizon phone?

Also, I need a new phone since my Sii sucks walls of balls. Can I buy any phone on any network or do I need to get a specific one?
View Quote

She will need a new phone.  If she had and ATT/Tmobil she could just order a Straight talk SIM card for it($20) You can buy phones at straightalk.com or walmart.  That said if you were not happy with your SII you will probably not be happy with the selection of phones they have.  I had a Galaxy I(Batt took a dump on me), now I have a dumbed down Galaxy(From straight talk).  The phone and internet is fine, but the camera is 3.2 mega pixles.  Im saving $50 a month so I dont really mind.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Pageplus, hands down.  Uses Verizon and is $29/mo for 1200mins/1200 text or $39/mo for unlimited talk/text/500mb data.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Who's got the cheapest nationwide covered cell phone service?

Some dude they call "Obama" from what i hear.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://www.straighttalkbyop.com/
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pageplus, hands down.  Uses Verizon and is $29/mo for 1200mins/1200 text or $39/mo for unlimited talk/text/500mb data.
View Quote

This.  The cell phone my son has is only $30 / year on PagePlus (which it is an emergency phone only).
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Page Plus. They work on Verizon's network.

ETA:Check out Kitty Wireless who is a reseller for PP. Quite often they have free activation and number port-in.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

cant really beat straight talks unlimited talk text and web for 45 and as far as I can tell theres no data limit...at least that ive found yet and im on the internet and whatnot alot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also buy a card for the whole year and save like a months bill or so.

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Been using them for years.  Hands down, the best deal available.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#32]
AT&T has the best coverage in Texas.    Ask anyone in the oilfield.  

My guess is that the primary reason for the good coverage is that they have the DPS contract.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Where do I find page plus?
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go Here
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Go Here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go Here

Kitty is bar none, hands down, the best customer service in the world too.  They are awesome.

I got in on the lifetime membership a few years back for $20 so anything I need to do is now free for life with them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just don't call them concerning a customer service issue...

If you do be prepared to be jumped around a Philippine call center for like 4-5 hours over something as trivial as a phone bill not being automatically withdrawn from a checking account.

I like their phones, nationwide coverage is good and a great price for what you get. But for fuck sakes, get some goddamn English speaking individuals who aren't reading from cue cards all day long.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Republic Wireless.

19/month.

Unlimited everything.

If you sign up, let me know.  If you use me as a reference, we both get $19 off of our service.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I use RedPocket.  It uses the AT&T network.  I pay $29 a month for unlimited talk, unlimited text, and a very small amount of data which I don't use (I think it's like 50 mb).  

I love it and it saves me a ton compared to what I was paying through AT&T for less service.

To use RedPocket, you need a RedPocket sim card.  That costs less than a buck on amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/Prepaid-Red-Pocket-Mobile-Card/dp/B002C8KI7S

Also, you need an unlocked phone.  If you're out of contract, your cell company should give you the unlock code for free.  If they give you any hassle, tell them you're going to Japan (which uses the same network we do) and you want to use your phone there with a Japanese sim card.  Alternatively, you can google how to unlock your phone for free.  Lots of phones you can unlock for free pretty easily.  Finally, you can pay like $7 on ebay for an unlock code for your phone.  One advantage of RedPocket is that you don't need to unlock your phone if it's an AT&T locked phone.  Since it's on the AT&T network, it will work fine with RedPocket.

Then, you need to port your service to RedPocket.  You do that online at redpocket.  That way you'll keep your same number and nothing will change.  Porting takes less than an hour once you submit it online.  Easy.

Then, you need to pre-pay for each month.  I buy a prepay card from callingmart every month for $29.  Once you pay, they email you the refill number.  You can type this number into your phone (I don't because it's like 16 digits and ain't nobody got time for that) or you can copy and paste it into the redpocket website, which takes like 10 seconds.  

I should have switched years ago.

For those who use a lot of data, there are unlimited data plans as well.  I don't use data so I don't care, but they're much cheaper than going through AT&T or Verizon directly.

If you have any problems, surf howardforums.  When I was trying to save money on my cell phone bill, I was told to go read over there.  I did, found RedPocket, and saved a bundle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I have an iPhone with unlimited data, unlimited text and 300 minutes for $30 a month with no contract. My wife has the same but 1400 minutes a month for $40.

ETA: Virgin Mobile is the carrier.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#41]
tmobile prepaid $50 a month unlimited everything
phones are not that great but if all you want is talk and text they are fine... coverage is also not that great but they have wi-fi calling that makes works great... obviously you need a wi-fi signal to do wi-fi calling so if you are on the road its worthless... but if you are in a building (home/office) that has wi-fi is great
i had to go with tmobile because it has wi-fi calling... the building i work in has almost no coverage no matter where you are but it does have open wi-fi... people with tmobile always have service but no one else does
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Are any of these 4g/LTE?

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you do be prepared to be jumped around a Philippine call center for like 4-5 hours over something as trivial as a phone bill not being automatically withdrawn from a checking account.

I like their phones, nationwide coverage is good and a great price for what you get. But for fuck sakes, get some goddamn English speaking individuals who aren't reading from cue cards all day long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually had the opposite experience. When I attempted to set it up online something went screwy with it porting my existing number over so I had to call them. The lady did have a very heavy accent but I managed and she fixed it right up without much problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have an iPhone with unlimited data, unlimited text and 300 minutes for $30 a month with no contract. My wife has the same but 1400 minutes a month for $40.

ETA: Virgin Mobile is the carrier.
View Quote

Hows the coverage? Is that T-Mobile?
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This, plus the 1200 minute plan now comes with 500MB of data and 3000 texts (hasn't been 1200 texts in years).

Your wife can use her Sprint Iphone, it will take a small bit of work to get the data working correctly, and there are companies around who are willing to flash it to work correctly fairly cheap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This, plus the 1200 minute plan now comes with 500MB of data and 3000 texts (hasn't been 1200 texts in years).

Your wife can use her Sprint Iphone, it will take a small bit of work to get the data working correctly, and there are companies around who are willing to flash it to work correctly fairly cheap.

Ah, yeah, they changed it last year to 3000 texts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Running a Nexus 4 on straight talk w/ ATT mircro sim card.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Running a Nexus 4 on straight talk w/ ATT mircro sim card.
View Quote

How do you like the Nexus?

Looks interesting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Are any of these 4g/LTE?

View Quote

AT&T AIO uses the regular LTE newtwork where available.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Get a Verizon Driod (Ebay), and activate it with a PagePlus account.  For $39/month.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top