Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2013 11:29:13 AM EDT
Ok so the wife and I have been raising English Bulldogs for about 10 years now and have decided to build our own kennel. Been using a uncle's but he is getting up in age . This is what I have so far . Kinda the design we want .

Thinking the slab will be around 30x40 with 8 ft long x 4 feet wide runs on the outside . Made with 2 inch square tubing for the pins and gates . The building and inside walls (dark black line ) will be concrete blocks witch I think are 16inx8inx6inch . We want the inside pins to be around 4 feet wide x 41/2 to 5 feet long and about 5 feet high .

I'm having a hard time figuring out how big my slab needs to be taking account for the block . Hell I'm having a hard time figuring up all of it . How many blocks I'm going to need . What size of slab for the building and outside runs ( one solid slab) . How much room is my blocks going to take up . So on so fourth . On a budget so don't have the money to hire someone to draw it out for us . If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The difference would be an extra 8" per side. So an extra 16" of length and an additional 16" of width.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]

quicky for ya.

EDIT: I read your number wrong and made the width of the block 6" instead of 8". Add 4 inches
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/shotgunfatcat/Untitfed_zps1f4e8162.png

quicky for ya.

EDIT: I read your number wrong and made the width of the block 6" instead of 8". Add 4 inches
View Quote

Man u guys are good. Is that print with the divide walls for the inside pins made out of block ? Thanks man
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Man u guys are good. Is that print with the divide walls for the inside pins made out of block ? Thanks man
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/shotgunfatcat/Untitfed_zps1f4e8162.png

quicky for ya.

All the cages are 2 inch wide steel, the dimensions are all to the outside. The walls are 6 inches wide (hence add 2 all around). The bathroom was block too, I don't know what is in your head for that, I assumed 6x6 inside dimensions. The open area (paper North) is 10 feet. So smaller or larger will change the horizontal dims accordingly.  From outside cage to outside cage it is 33'-8" (plus 4" for my fuck up) so, 34 X 42 feet overall.

I did it quick. I see you want to put block up in between the cages. Sorry, I will see what I can do here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it needs to be bigger than 40X30 to me.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats fine if its a little bit bigger. Hey man thanks for your help . Does the latout look good to u ? Im going to put a 3 inch drop or so i the outside runs so it will mae it easier to wash down. Also put i drop and some drains on the inside .
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy shit . That cuts the amount of pins down quite a bit . I may have to go metal for the inside . Need at least 18-20 pins .
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]

I cleaned mine up a bit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Just making sure you can't fit all of that into 40' x 30'. If you want 18 kennels inside 4' wide each it will be 40' just for the kennels plus however large you want the other area to be. Make sure you decide on what gates you will use before you decide on the spacing for the kennels. Gotta go so I can't draw up anything else for now. You can download a trial version of SolidEdge or AutoCad online and learn how to do this pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Built a kennel in the '80's for my mom & stepdad (actually the dogs they showed) , schipperkees, . The slab was 30' X 40', the building was 12' X 36' if I recall running down the middle of the slab, obviously enclosed at the ends.
In side the kennel as you walk down the aisle was 4' , making the inside bedding area approx4' X4' or so.

Now from the exterior wall of the building to the outside of the slab was covered overhead only by a shed roof . This provided an outdoor run area of 12' or so. All enclosures were of chain link purchased used from an defunct kennel that was retiring.
I designed the building to fit the chain link panel prior to beginning, including the fall of the slab built into the outside panels.

Also the doors from bedding area to outside were guillotine doors mounted on the inside the ext. wall in a track w/pulley and cord , you could walk down the aisle and select which to open to exercise area.

BTW: the complete building was wood frame stick-built as urine will absorb into any substance common material, simply that wood is easier to repair/replace

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Couple things:

- I suggest 4"w block for the inside kennels.

- I would also add AT LEAST 2-3 floor drains down the center of the building, but you would be MUCH better off having a drain in the center of each kennel.

- You may not think it, but having built several animal shelters (commercial contractor), you will be better off in the long run to epoxy coat the kennel walls & floors so the urine & feces won't soak into the concrete.  Concrete is porous & the standard sealants don't hold up to animals.

- Any metal used MUST be aluminum, stainless, or galvanized as urine, will corrode plain steel pretty fast.

- What heating/cooling are you going to provide or is this thing open-air, ie. no roof?  I assume it has a roof since you have a bathroom...

I don't have time today, but if you want to email or IM me a complete list of what you want I will try and find time tomorrow to draw you a complete floorplan to (National) Code.  State/Local code may be stricter but your Building Official can tell you.  I'd mainly like to know how many pens you want, the internal dimensions you want for the pens, and if there are any over-all size constraints to the building.

Is this on Residential zoned property or Commercial?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Looks good . I think i can get buy with less space for a walk way .  I was thinking 8x4 runs on outside . Maybe 4x5 pins on inside with a 4 or 5 foot wide walkway . Hell i dont know what would be best . Now im thinking about going with 2 inch divide walls for the inside . Block seems to take up a lot of room . You guys are alot better than me at this . Hell it took me 2 hours to make the scetch on my first post . Try to build a good kennel on a decent kennel budget . Going to do alot of the work myself (well some of it). Got a budget of under 20,000 . Does that seem doable?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Couple things:

- I suggest 4"w block for the inside kennels.
- I would also add AT LEAST 2-3 floor drains down the center of the building, but you would be MUCH better off having a drain in the center of each kennel.
- You may not think it, but having built several animal shelters (commercial contractor), you will be better off in the long run to epoxy coat the kennel walls & floors so the urine & feces won't soak into the concrete.  Concrete is porous & the standard sealants don't hold up to animals.
- Any metal used MUST be aluminum, stainless, or galvanized as urine, will corrode plain steel pretty fast.
- What heating/cooling are you going to provide or is this thing open-air, ie. no roof?  I assume it has a roof since you have a bathroom...

I don't have time today, but if you want to email or IM me a complete list of what you want I will try and find time tomorrow to draw you a complete floorplan to (National) Code.  State/Local code may be stricter but your Building Official can tell you.  I'd mainly like to know how many pens you want, the internal dimensions you want for the pens, and if there are any over-all size constraints to the building.

Is this on Residential zoned property or Commercial?
View Quote

Yea USDA says we have to coat everything. Really thought about putting drains in each pin . Our other kennel is state ,akc and USDA inspected and they can be pretty picky . My wife wants 18-20 pins . We run a window heating and air unit in our other kennels. Its a Residential property . We own the land .
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Looks good . I think i can get buy with less space for a walk way .  I was thinking 8x4 runs on outside . Maybe 4x5 pins on inside with a 4 or 5 foot wide walkway . Hell i dont know what would be best . Now im thinking about going with 2 inch divide walls for the inside . Block seems to take up a lot of room . You guys are alot better than me at this . Hell it took me 2 hours to make the scetch on my first post . Try to build a good kennel on a decent kennel budget . Going to do alot of the work myself (well some of it). Got a budget of under 20,000 . Does that seem doable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't know man, concrete alone I think is 100 bucks a yard, not including labor, rebar (could go fiber) forms, etc. Looking at maybe 5-8 grand for the slab. I don't know what block is costing these days. It may be cheaper to do poured walls.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I was a mason for about 10 years so that is why i thought about block . Had a tell me 200 a yard for the cement and finishing it . Blocks cost about 1.35 to 1.65 a piece i think .Was going to go metal but its hard to keep the rust down .
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok so the wife and I have been raising English Bulldogs for about 10 years now and have decided to build our own kennel. Been using a uncle's but he is getting up in age . This is what I have so far . Kinda the design we want .
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p508/jfleming1981/IMAG0373_zpsc06d4062.jpg

Thinking the slab will be around 30x40 with 8 ft long x 4 feet wide runs on the outside . Made with 2 inch square tubing for the pins and gates . The building and inside walls (dark black line ) will be concrete blocks witch I think are 16inx8inx6inch . We want the inside pins to be around 4 feet wide x 41/2 to 5 feet long and about 5 feet high .

I'm having a hard time figuring out how big my slab needs to be taking account for the block . Hell I'm having a hard time figuring up all of it . How many blocks I'm going to need . What size of slab for the building and outside runs ( one solid slab) . How much room is my blocks going to take up . So on so fourth . On a budget so don't have the money to hire someone to draw it out for us . If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
View Quote

Will provide fully engineered plans for a puppy. I like BullDawgs!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you making a puppy mill? It sure looks like it with the amount of kennels your have.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not terribly certain about your $20k mark...  I think it may be a little low.

30x40x4" slab alone is ~$3500 in materials around here including +/-15 yards concrete, rebar at edges, wire mesh throughout...  Then add in labor to place & finish it @ roughly another $3-4k and you just consumed a little less than 1/2 your budget...

a 16'x40'x12'h block building would need roughly 1500 blocks at ~$1.80-$2.00 each for $3k on the higher end.  Then add you need vertical rebar at expansion joints, and grout & mortar...  I'd figure another $3k there and your probably looking at roughly $14k and still needing a roof, epoxy, pen hardware/doors, floor drains & plumbing, etc....

$20k may be hard to hit; you may be able to do it depending on how much you can do yourself...  

Another option would be stick-built and use fiberglass liner panels in the kennels.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you making a puppy mill? It sure looks like it with the amount of kennels your have.
View Quote

No we are not . Our kennel was rated number 1 in the Tulsa world  . All our puppies are raised inside our house and are played with by our boys and us . My mother and all our family helps out . We have 10 acres we take turns letting the dogs out to run. Its a full time job and i just wanted to make sure we have enough pins . We love what we do . We are USDA ,AKC and state inspected and pass with all +++++++.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#20]
We will do alot of work our self . If its over 20,000 than so be it . But i think i can get it around that area . I have family members in alot of trades and i also have a few trades under my belt. Building supplies are not crazy high around here right now . Thanks for all the help so far.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We will do alot of work our self . If its over 20,000 than so be it . But i think i can get it around that area . I have family members in alot of trades and i also have a few trades under my belt. Building supplies are not crazy high around here right now . Thanks for all the help so far.
View Quote

I'd come and help, but I vaguely have a clue where Oklahoma is, I assume it is right next to Kansas, because I don't know where that is either.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd come and help, but I vaguely have a clue where Oklahoma is, I assume it is right next to Kansas, because I don't know where that is either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, Thats alright . Oklahoma is the gun loving state right beside Texas . We have about 20 gun shows a month including the worlds largest
wanenmacher's gun show . Come down help me out for awhile . Then we will go gun show hopping .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top