Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2013 10:51:41 AM EDT
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/boeing-delivers-last-c-17-us-air-force

can't believe I beat KA3B to this , I searched.

SNIP
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Boeing has delivered the final C-17 produced for the U.S. Air Force, more than two decades after the mammoth and versatile transport plane was rolled out as the Cold War wound down.

Military officials took delivery of the C-17 Globemaster III — the 223rd sold to the Air Force — during a ceremony Thursday attended by hundreds of workers at Boeing's Long Beach, Calif., assembly plant.

"It was a long run with the U.S. military, and it was a good run," said engineer Bob Grech, who joined the project 19 years ago.

The massive, four-engine C-17 made its first flight in 1991, and military deliveries began about two years later. The plane is used to airlift tanks, supplies and troops as well as perform medical evacuations. It quickly became a war and disaster workhorse, prized for its ability to operate from basic airstrips and cover intercontinental distances with a full load without refueling.

With a payload of 160,000 pounds, it is designed to airdrop 102 paratroopers and their equipment.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like they are keeping the line open to sell to foreign allies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want our "allies", and these days I use that term loosely, to get them. I want us to get more of them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Who wants to bet they destroy the tooling and then 30 years later we get to spend 10 times as much as then entire run cost start to finish including R&D to get an inferior replacement product with limited production that nobody else wants?

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't want our "allies", and these days I use that term loosely, to get them. I want us to get more of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The USAF assures us they have enough airlift to support any operational requirement.

And if they can't, well, there will always be Russian aircraft to rent. Always.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The USAF assures us they have enough airlift to support any operational requirement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the operational requirement will be edited to the available airlift.
convenient how that works.

How many C17s can you park on the ramp at hickam for mechanical malfunctions anyway?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How many C17s can you park on the ramp at hickam for mechanical malfunctions anyway?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's almost never the C-17s that litter up the AMC ramp here.  The C-5s and KC-10s on the other hand...   Now that most crews are staying at on base lodging (in the Navy lodge) instead of the Outrigger Reef, I would imagine the break rate has gone down.  

I'm absolutely thrilled that we got as many as we did.  Congress kept buying them for us even after our (at the time, fighter pilot) CSAF said we didn't need any more.  The original airlift capabilities study said we needed 220 of them to replace the C-141, and that's what we finally got.  It'll probably be the last manned airlifter we ever buy.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who wants to bet they destroy the tooling and then 30 years later we get to spend 10 times as much as then entire run cost start to finish including R&D to get an inferior replacement product with limited production that nobody else wants the President then cancels?  
View Quote

Like the Orion heavy lift booster rocket ?

ETA:  A number of years back I was having some physical rehab work for some back surgery. In conversation with the fellow who was my physical therapist, told him I worked at the McDonnell Douglas plant doing IT for some of the production aircraft.  He laughed and said his wife, a petite and very pretty woman, is an engineer and software designer for the C-17 program.

When the Air Force had the initial rollout of the C-17, they did a multi-site visit to give meet & greet and a free ride to some of the key machinists and support staff on the program.  At the stop in St Louis, his wife worked her way to the front of greeting line to talk to the captain and asked him about the cargo air drop capability, "Well?  How's it work?"  

The pilot donned his most charming, "Well, little lady, you see what we do is open the back end of the plane and push out a load on a pallet with a parachute..."  

She broke in laughing, "No no no, I helped design the autopilot and flight control software that monitors the shifting center of gravity and abrubt changes of weight of the aircraft to keep it in straight and level flight. What I meant was, how's it working?"
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Crews have to stay on base?  ouch
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who wants to bet they destroy the tooling and then 30 years later we get to spend 10 times as much as then entire run cost start to finish including R&D to get an inferior replacement product with limited production that nobody else wants?  
View Quote

Oh you mean like they did with the A10 and the Eff Turdy Five?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Crews have to stay on base?  ouch
View Quote

With only partial per diem.  Sequestration, you know.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"It was a long run with the U.S. military, and it was a good run," said engineer Bob Grech, who joined the project 19 years ago.

View Quote

"was" a good run?  They may not be building any new ones, but somehow I don't think the C-17 is going away any time soon.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember being one of the very first guys to jump out of one for the abn test board at Bragg. God I'm getting old
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Ex of mine just got hired in Long Beach as an engineer on the 17. They'll be working on them for her working lifetime at least.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to pay for it. I don't think we need it. The war can wait until the ships get there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ramp or side door?

The C-17 will join the DC-3 and C-130 as one of the all time great airplanes shoulder to shoulder at the very top of the heap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember being one of the very first guys to jump out of one for the abn test board at Bragg. God I'm getting old

Ramp or side door?

The C-17 will join the DC-3 and C-130 as one of the all time great airplanes shoulder to shoulder at the very top of the heap.

I agree.  I'd add the 737 and 747 to that list as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember rigging 250 pound dummies with parachutes to study the issue of jumpers smacking under the bird when I was at the ACE board.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This for sure.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember 25+ years ago custom building computers for the Automatic Testing Equipment, who knows what would be involved in restarting it again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ramp or side door?i understand ramp exts weren't allowed.  I did 5 jumps and they all were smooth as glass.  The wind break on those things were so good you could practically stand on the platform and not get swept away, no more 36 up and 36 out just walk out and wait.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ramp or side door?i understand ramp exts weren't allowed.  I did 5 jumps and they all were smooth as glass.  The wind break on those things were so good you could practically stand on the platform and not get swept away, no more 36 up and 36 out just walk out and wait.

Side, ramp jumps from what I understand we're a no go
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Opps
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's almost never the C-17s that litter up the AMC ramp here.  The C-5s and KC-10s on the other hand...   Now that most crews are staying at on base lodging (in the Navy lodge) instead of the Outrigger Reef, I would imagine the break rate has gone down.  

I'm absolutely thrilled that we got as many as we did.  Congress kept buying them for us even after our (at the time, fighter pilot) CSAF said we didn't need any more.  The original airlift capabilities study said we needed 220 of them to replace the C-141, and that's what we finally got.  It'll probably be the last manned airlifter we ever buy.  
View Quote

So this was a one for one swap with the C-141's then?
If only we can get them to do that with the KC-46/KC-135.
-K

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I was stationed at Altus when we got our first C-17 in 1994, had a big ceremony for the arrival, the AMC/CC was at the controls (supposedly). I was 97th SUPS working in MICAP, we had to do a lot of extra effort for those with the visibility everything of being a new jet.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overflow parking is at K-Bay don't sweat it
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Overflow parking is at K-Bay don't sweat it
View Quote

And have To drive h3 to Waikiki!  War is hell
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top