Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2013 6:14:56 AM EDT

It seems we have an invasion going on in my small town.  We are outside of the "normal" habitat zone for Hobo spiders, but apparently they are moving East.    

First, they were found at the local community college, and now, on the opposite side of the town, at the High School.  We got a warning yesterday by the Admin to look out for them.  Today, the cleaning lady found one in my 3D room.  

Great.

I didn't know what they looked like till I googled them; and I'm really not wild about seeing what the bites look like.  Holy Shit!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Even the spiders in your school have Viking horns...

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#2]
And this is what a bite looks like.  It is graphic and vomit inducing, hence the spoiler tag.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Your what room?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your what room?
View Quote

3D room.  He is an artist of 3D sculptures.  Quite impressive ones, too.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Even the spiders in your school have Viking horns...

http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/PublishingImages/191/ippm_hobo_top2.jpg
View Quote

I'll never live it down.  

Well, at least the local geese are safe.   The famous Viking is now in the kiln, warming as we speak.  I might actually get to finish that in the next week.   Hopefully, he's got some company, in fhe form of any Hobos left in my room.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Might want to invest in a flame thrower
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your what room?

just an Art teacher, not really an artist.   You know, if you can't do, teach...yada, yada.  

I had my "space" devided up into two areas(rooms) when we built the new school.  One for 2D, painting and drawing, and one for 3D, sculpting and taxidermy.   It was cool they let me have so much influence over the design.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And this is what a bite looks like.  It is graphic and vomit inducing, hence the spoiler tag.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

That picture scared the shit out of me last night.   Do NOT WANT!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Not really sure about that. A Brown Recluse will cause that but the Hobo spider is not as potent and there's no proof that the Hobo spider is capable of producing / causing necrosis to that extent.

Not good to get bitten by them either way, but not as bad as a BR bite.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Damned Hobo Spiders.  With their tiny cans of beans and little bags made of cloth tied to the end of a toothpick....riding H scale train cars into our towns.  Damn them all.  Damn them all to hell.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Damned Hobo Spiders.  With their tiny cans of beans and little bags made of cloth tied to the end of a toothpick....riding H scale train cars into our towns.  Damn them all.  Damn them all to hell.
View Quote

Maybe if people wouldn't buy so much imitation crab meat they would just move on down the line??

I know... I know... HE JUST BOUGHT TOO MUCH!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL........someone needs to photoshop that

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuck that shit!! I saw an episode on animal planet (something about pests invading houses, mice, roaches, etc) where the family bug bombed their house, killed all the hobo spider's natural enemies and was invaded by a battalion strength contingent of the bastards. Do Not MF'ing Want!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#15]
do these spiders have tiny sticks they carry with a bag tied to them? How do you know they are hobos? Are they warming them selves in front of a burning thimble full of match sticks?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been invaded by those damn jumping spiders.  Of course they can kick the chit out of other spiders, so I'm good.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Keep them up there please.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been invaded by those damn jumping spiders.  Of course they can kick the chit out of other spiders, so I'm good.
View Quote

Lucky! SpiderBros are great..
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Here, this might help.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Time to call in SpiderBro reinforcements.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're like having a bunch of little buddies around watching your back for you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#22]
We're getting camel spiders at work.  They're starting to pop up often.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Catch or order some jumpers, they will get rid of the nasty ones...

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Looks more like a snake bite than a spider bite.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

That exact same picture has been used and represented as everything from an infected hangnail to a camel spider to an alien reptile bite.
Nobody knows what actually did it...
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#26]
My coworker was bit by one last year it still looks nasty, not as bad but similar to the spoiler picture!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#27]
My coworker was bit by one last year it still looks nasty, not as bad but similar to the spoiler picture!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#28]
In the United States, the hobo spider has been considered to be a dangerous species based on a toxicology study on rabbits where lesions appeared after spiders were induced to bite the rabbits.[9] This laboratory study has led to the proposal that in some parts of the U.S. nearly all bites attributed to the brown recluse spider are in reality the hobo spider's bite.[10] The CDC and other U.S. government agencies[11] have also used this same study as the basis for a report claiming that the hobo spider bite causes necrosis in humans,[12] despite the absence of any confirmed cases. Subsequent attempts to replicate the study by injecting sufficient venom to ensure envenomation have failed to produce necrotic lesions, and there is even question as to whether the lesions observed in the original study were necrotic.[13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I got bit by what the docs assumed was a Hobo spider about 12-14 hears ago. I'd left my motorcycle gloves out on the patio and evidently the little basterd crawled inside.
Put the glove on and 5 seconds later it felt like my finger had been shot by a bb at close range.  Within an hour or so the finger was swollen to twice its normal size and OWFUCK!!
The swelling started spreading into the other fingers and through my whole hand so considering I didn't know wtf  I'd been bitten or stung by I headed to the Urgency clinic.

The doctor as mentioned said he thought it was a spider bite and probably a Hobo. Later when I got in to see my regular doc he agreed. Put me on Benadryl and gave me an anti-biotic shot
along with a script for more antibiotics.
Over the next couple days the swelling progressed up my arm and reached my shoulder before it finally started to clear up. Not just a little swelling either. My fingers looked like
sausages and even though I've got a pretty high pain tolerance it was definitely enough to make my eyes water. Arm was bright red and you could feel the heat radiating off it from 6
inches away. I kept ice wraps on the hand and as much of the arm as I could. It was a week or better before all the swelling left my hand and a while longer before I could use
it as normal. No necrosis.

All I've got left now to show for it is a 1/4 inch white spot/scar on the finger and a habit of stomping on my
gloves before I put them on.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#30]
You got a spider problem call Kari
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#31]
my Neighbor just killed another one in his room.......

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Glue traps are very helpful. Against walls, in corners and near your hot water heater. You'll be surprised at what shows up in those things.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#33]
We have them here in Idaho, but not every spider that we see that looks like a Hobo is actually a Hobo.  Some species look similar, but aren't a threat like a Hobo or Brown Recluse.

Either way, I just assume that if it's a spider and located within 1 klick of my pos, it's going to die a violent death.  

If Raid made a miniature neutron bomb that produced a mushroom cloud of say, no more than 12 in. high and a blast radius of only a couple of feet or so, I'd be their best customer.  

I really hate spiders.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#35]
At first i thought it was a brown recluse, but apparently they are two different species.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Glue traps are very helpful. Against walls, in corners and near your hot water heater. You'll be surprised at what shows up in those things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already requested them.   Maybe this weekend.  

They also said they might come in for a chemical weapons strike.    Hopefully, obama won't want to show up to try to help the Hobos.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top