Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2013 6:03:41 AM EDT
I'll try to keep this brief for the TL-DR crowd.

Last night we had a nasty thunderstorm. Lost power and was eating dinner with my family in the near dark. Hear a huge crack, boom and bright flash. Turn to see the tail end of lightning striking my neighbors house across the street.

She lost her husband a couple months back and is generally alone if she is at home. I ran as fast as I could as I started to see smoke coming from the back of the house. I'm pounding on doors and trying to open them to make sure she is ok.

Turn a corner to check the side door and nearly stepped on a downed line! I later found out it was a phone/radio line and not a power line, but my adrenalin was so high and I had tunnel vision. In that moment that I was trying to help a neighbor, who I later found out wasn't even home, I could have made a horrible mistake and left behind a wife and son.

I'm thankful that everyone is ok, as is my neighbors house, but I have to learn how to approach things differently.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I try to have a bright flashlight within arms reach whenever there might be a storm in the are.
Good that you didn't get bit by the line though
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
what a tragedy that would have been, glad it worked out. Good on you for at least trying to do something good though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#3]
A friends brother died by stepping on a power line while trying to check on elderly neighbors after a storm. Scary indeed, glad everyone is ok

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Valuable lesson that applies across many areas.

In any emergency, no matter how dire it may seem, you have to take care of you first. Because if you go, you won't be able to help anyone else anyway.

Kid choking in the back seat? Drive the damn car, don't try to reach back and drive at the same time. (friend rolled his SUV doing that)
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Rule number 1:  Before you render aid, make sure it is safe for you to do so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad your still with us.

We just covered things of this nature this morning in our safety meeting.

1: Never run right in.
2: Scan the area (Make sure it's safe to enter)
3: Evaluate the area/person in question (Again never just react)
4: (React) clear the area, remove the injured if possible (Return to safe area)
5: Notify EMS keep everyone calm...

ETA: I know it seems easy to say, but with practice it can be done and done quickly...
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread could have been shockingly different. You did ok.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I try to have a bright flashlight within arms reach whenever there might be a storm in the are.

Good that you didn't get bit by the line though
View Quote

rgr that
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]
This brings back memories. While going to school in Kalamazoo I was dating a gal who later became my wife. We are over at her place getting it on in the middle of a thunderstorm. Windows open, slight cool breeze, etc. Perfect Michigan weather. All of a sudden there is a flash and an instant crack of thunder while I was in mid thrust. I jumped so high and the adrenaline started pumping. Lightning hit the utility pole which was about 10 ft outside the window. My wife and I still laugh about that night, 10 years later.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rule number 1:  Before you render aid, make sure it is safe for you to do so.
View Quote

and carry a silicone HV mat..
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad you were not electrocuted OP.

Thunder storms were crazy last night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top