Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2002 9:11:31 AM EDT
I know that 51 is a majority if all the counted republicans are "real" republicans but how many of them are? McCain might as well be a bleeding heart liberal when it comes to the second amendment so that already puts us even. How many other "republicans" are there in the Senate that vote liberal when it comes to guns? I am just wondering if this is as solid a victory as some of us believe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully there are some good Dimocraps, too. I know it sounds like an oxymoron. But Warner is doing okay by gun-owners in Virginia, so far.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
But Senator John Warner is a wolf in sheep's clothing.  Anti-gun ass-biscuit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Miller (D) from GA has also spoken about against the AW ban as well.

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope! Not much of a majority, at all!

But it sure does beat the alternative!

The GOP is now back in charge of things in the Senate. Tom Dasshole can kiss our azzes!

Trent Lott (R-MS) can pick the Chairmen of all the Senate Committees and handle the Senate Calendar - which is all that is necessary for control!

I want to see the GOP look into the possibility that the DEMOS may have gotten enough invalid votes in South Dakota to erase that [b]528 vote[/b] deficit and permit Jim Thune, the Republican, to win that seat!

(Friggin Libertarians! But that's another thread!)

Eric The(Reasonable)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about the AWB but it will damn well get some things done around here for a change.

Even if somebody sides with the Dems the  Vice Perz can cast a vote so we are in good shape for now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget the December 7, 2002, runoff with Mary Landrieu (D-LA) in Louisiana.

If we can win there (which shouldn't be too difficult) we will have 52 Republican members!

Watch for the DEMOS to pour everything they have into this race!

Bill Clinton and Hillary will be spotlighted - it appears that Bill still has a fan club in New Orleans!

Eric The(Cajun)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
We have a majority of 50 as soon as the Missouri election is certified...because that was a special election, the winner is seated immediately.  That puts the republicans at 50 seats, the dems at 48 and 2 independants.  If Minnesota chooses to seat Coleman right away following certification, it becomes 51 republicans, 48 dems and 1 independent voting as a dem. And that's before the rest of the Senate is seated in January. So we'll be determining the course of Senate legislation and activities long before January.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes.

As long as the person who is elected Majority Leader is pro-gun.

Most of the obstruction in the Senate the last two years has not been because of a absence of votes for GOP sponsored bills. Most of the delay has come from Dashalls controll of the the Senate [i]calender[/i]! What he did not want to see passed, even when the White House had the votes in hand, NEVER CAME UP FOR A VOTE.

That is what control of the Majority Leader seat does for you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Take McCain, plus our Ohio RINO Senators Dewine & Voinovich, and you are already in the hole. (just to name a few) Don't hold your breath, because you're going to be one blue looking mofo.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
So whoever is elected Senate leader controls the makeup and chairmen of all committees as well as the calendar? And the senate majority leader is elected solely by the republicans in this case? In that case how would another AWB pass if there is a progun senate leader? If it is not brought up for a vote it will die and we will have at least two years of time without a ban. If Trent Lott is a pretty sure bet for majority leader and he is progun isn't the AWB as good as dead?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So whoever is elected Senate leader controls the makeup and chairmen of all committees as well as the calendar? And the senate majority leader is elected solely by the republicans in this case? In that case how would another AWB pass if there is a progun senate leader? If it is not brought up for a vote it will die and we will have at least two years of time without a ban. If Trent Lott is a pretty sure bet for majority leader and he is progun isn't the AWB as good as dead?
View Quote

Correct on all counts.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If Trent Lott is a pretty sure bet for majority leader and he is progun isn't the AWB as good as dead?
View Quote

Yes and No. We are optimistic at this point. But don't forget that HCI, AGS, MMM, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR etc will do everything they can to scare the sheeple into supporting the AW ban renewal. That combined with the fact that some wacko always seems to kill a bunch of people just as the vote is coming up could result in enough pressure on our congress critters to put it to a vote.

Bottom line, things look good today, but it will be a tough fight for the NRA. The need all the support we can give them in the next two year to keep the AWB from being replaced. If you are not a member, spend the $35 and join. Then write them a monthly letter that you will quit unless they fight the ban.

I'm a life member, I am working on my first letter this afternoon. I will post it when I'm done so you all can use it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#13]
But don't forget that HCI, AGS, MMM, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR etc will do everything they can to scare the sheeple into supporting the AW ban renewal
View Quote

You give them too much credit. Look at the last two elections now. The media bias only seems to increase Republican poll numbers now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top