Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2013 6:51:50 PM EDT
How do you catch your brass? Do you use a brass catcher, pick it up off the ground, lay out a tarp to catch it, or what?

I have finally started rifle reloading....for the first time in over 15 years. I shot some the other day (6.8, not 5.56) and I cleaned my barrel before starting to shoot. To foul it, I shot 3 rounds of factory ammo.......and lost 1 of my empties because I forgot about all the leaves to the right of the bench. After the first shot I propped my chronograph box up next to my ejection port and it worked perfectly to catch my brass, but it's hardly a permanent solution.

This has never been an issue with revolvers or bolt-action rifles. Now it's an issue. Suggestions?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not hard.

They all land in a general area and then you pick them up.
You may lose a few here and there.

I've taken more brass than I've given so I don't mind losing 1 or so often.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My ARs make nice little piles of well-organized brass.

My Mini14? It flings brass at high speed all over the place...

No, I don't use a brass catcher... If I am moving and shooting, I lose some brass. If I am bench rest shooting, I have neat piles for me to pick up...
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You could either take a small tarp and put it where the brass is landing.

Or make a gizmo with PVC pipe, zip ties and a nylon mesh bag ladies use to put their dainties in when they wash them. The pipe is cheap but the "T" connectors and Els can run into some change. ETA- but less than the "CTK Precision" thing plus Midway shipping.

Here's another idea

"home made brass catcher" on youtube has a lot of ideas.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My brass catcher turns 15yo this month. His eyes are better then mine for finding it after we shoot.

He know the more we find the more we shoot. Just wish we could find .22LR
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I set up my E-Z Up and drape a tarp on the right side. It catches 95% of the brass and adds extra shade. If I am training, I just pick it up at the end of the day... Besides, at this point, if I lose some brass it's no biggie to me since I have 3 or 4 5 gallon buckets full of brass.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top