Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2013 9:35:23 AM EDT
http://www.wimp.com/freeenergy/

Sorry its not a link, knew how at one time but no longer.

Grab and paste link into your browser.

Dram
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#1]
There ain't nothing "free" about new energy technologies.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There ain't nothing "free" about new energy technologies.
View Quote

I am going to go watch it but

FPNI
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#3]
There are only a few sources of "free" energy, Solar, Wind, and GeoThermal. But, at this point they cannot meet all of our energy needs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]
"Free" was in the title.. just watch it if you are interested.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
That guy is full of shit.  I am interested in the IR imaging film though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#7]
whew, i was able to stop after 20 seconds of complete bullshit.

An iceberg broke off, and it will take 50-100 years to replace. global warming lalalalala.

Hmmm, I guess that 60% increase in arctic ice over the last few years is an  anomaly.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#8]
It is an interesting concept.

Money can be made if you can mass produce cheaply and sell to the consumer at an affordable rate. That has always been the problem with solar.

Basically a more efficient, cheaper version of a solar panel that you can stick on your window to block out radiant heat in the summer, keep in radiant heat in the winter, while at the same time capturing energy for your house in something that can be applied by hand easily in existing structures or in new structures something that can be built into new windows.

The night vision has great military purposes if you can see further more clearly, but also if you make it cheap enough a haji in the middle east now has the capability to see at night as well :/

If they can bring it to market that would be amazing, but I bet that it costs to much to produce at this point.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

An iceberg broke off, and it will take 50-100 years to replace. global warming lalalalala.

Hmmm, I guess that 60% increase in arctic ice over the last few years is an  anomaly.

TXL
View Quote

I do agree that much of the global warming, or the new and improved title, climate change, is bunk. But, there is a good reason to look into some of the more promising alternative energy sources. It can reduce the cost of energy in the long term to a point where it is almost free. And if at some point in the future it can replace fossil fuels, just think of how much effort we put into getting and refining them!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#10]
There is no such thing as "free energy" - nothing.

All energy sources require some technology to tap.  That technology costs money to obtain.  That technology requires resources to fabricate.  Some degree of "pollution" results in the fabrication of that technology.

The world of energy is filled chock full of snake oil salesmen, like that guy on TEDTalks.  "The grid of tomorrow is no grid."  Well, he preceded that statement with the caveat that that you need a "line of sight" for the photons.  Therefore, the grid of tomorrow is an optical path ("line of sight") between the emitter and the receiver - sure sounds like a grid to me.  Put something in the line of sight and the grid is impeded/stopped.

The "famine" in the Sudan is muslims exterminating christians.  It is human-caused: humans killing humans.  It could easily be fixed if the warlords would allow relief supplies to get through, allow free migration from draught affected areas, etc. but their agenda is to kill them off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell of a concept if truely acheivable.  Worth the time to watch if have a few minutes.

Forget about the Iceburg/Global warming stuff at first.  The science itself is quite interesting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

It was a 60% increase over last year, the arctic ice cap is still smaller than 2008-2010.....

He didn't get too retarded on the global warming more so on water desalination...

guy had some pretty neat nano materials though I wouldn't mind windows that you could hit a button and black out that also double as solar panels...

I highly doubt the cost to produce such a thing would be less than the energy it saves/generates but it's still neat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Money can be made if you can mass produce cheaply and sell to the consumer at an affordable rate. That has always been the problem with solar.

Basically a more efficient, cheaper version of a solar panel that you can stick on your window to block out radiant heat in the summer, keep in radiant heat in the winter, while at the same time capturing energy for your house in something that can be applied by hand easily in existing structures or in new structures something that can be built into new windows.

The night vision has great military purposes if you can see further more clearly, but also if you make it cheap enough a haji in the middle east now has the capability to see at night as well :/

If they can bring it to market that would be amazing, but I bet that it costs to much to produce at this point.
View Quote

That proposed system is full of fail and AIDS.  The flux of IR photons in sunlight is high, but their energy is low, and thus IR photovoltaic devices have shitty power conversion efficiencies.  With all the talk of carbon, it's safe to assume those are also organic PVs.  The main problem with them is the high exciton binding energy, which eats up even more ( more than half!) of the available energy of IR photons.  These devices are also not now, nor will they ever be "free."  And then he starts talking about beaming the energy around with light? Yes, lets add more inefficiency to our power collection system.

Anti-IR coatings and electrochromic windows are already available.  

There's lots of cool tech to come from nanotechnology, but this guy is a rambling huckster.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah the stupidity of the global warming stuff aside... skip past that part .. I actually did lol! Didn't even know that was part of the video.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That proposed system is full of fail and AIDS.  The flux of IR photons in sunlight is high, but their energy is low, and thus IR photovoltaic devices have shitty power conversion efficiencies.  With all the talk of carbon, it's safe to assume those are also organic PVs.  The main problem with them is the high exciton binding energy, which eats up even more ( more than half!) of the available energy of IR photons.  These devices are also not now, nor will they ever be "free."  And then he starts talking about beaming the energy around with light? Yes, lets add more inefficiency to our power collection system.

There's lots of cool tech to come from nanotechnology, but this guy is a rambling huckster.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on the "beaming" of energy thing, I highly doubt that will ever be possible. The main point is that yes there are anti-IR coatings and electrochromic windows, but do they double as passive energy collecting?

I'm saying if you could bring this technology into mass production and scale to sell to the consumer where it is cheap to apply to new homes or convert old ones...then why the hell not? If you could price it where it costs you $400 for a system and say shave $20 off your electric bill each month, wouldn't that be nice?

I'm talking about the money aspect, forget the whole global warming and rambling thing, I'm interested in the potential.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed on the "beaming" of energy thing, I highly doubt that will ever be possible. The main point is that yes there are anti-IR coatings and electrochromic windows, but do they double as passive energy collecting?

I'm saying if you could bring this technology into mass production and scale to sell to the consumer where it is cheap to apply to new homes or convert old ones...then why the hell not? If you could price it where it costs you $400 for a system and say shave $20 off your electric bill each month, wouldn't that be nice?

I'm talking about the money aspect, forget the whole global warming and rambling thing, I'm interested in the potential.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are transparent energy-conversion cells, and they actually work (see dye-sensitized solar cells).  

This system is not feasible.  That's why the hell not.  It would be nicet if fritos cured acne, obesity and lowered your grocery bill, but that ain't happening either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top