Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2013 3:58:50 AM EDT
http://www.kwqc.com/story/23399234/2-jailed-for-fraudulently-claiming-minority-status

Guy Potter, formerly of Bensenville, was sentenced Tuesday to 54 months in prison. Matthew Giovenco of Grayslake was sentenced to 36 months in prison.

The 67-year-old Potter and 43-year-old Giovenco were convicted of fraud in April. They were accused by federal prosecutors of operating a cable installation company that was improperly subcontracted by RCN Telecom Services. To operate on Chicago's North Side, RCN was required to subcontract 40% of its installation and disconnection services to minority-owned businesses.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
They don't have any Hispanic lineage?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
40%?? what kind of racist crap is this?  protest until they maKe it 90%.  only WaY to  be equal up in here.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#3]
"Potter's and Giovenco's company received $8.3 million from RCN. They were ordered to forfeit $2.2 million in profits and pay $217,580 in restitution."

They are still making over $5 million.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Potter's and Giovenco's company received $8.3 million from RCN. They were ordered to forfeit $2.2 million in profits and pay $217,580 in restitution."

They are still making over $5 million.
View Quote

What do you think their costs were?

Business 101.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#5]
A local University awarded the brick contract for a new science building to a minority owned business.

Not one brick was set by a minority. The only minority in the company was owner.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#7]
more IL BS.     You can only get 6 mo for vehicular homicide in some states.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A lot of companies have "owners" that qualify for the minority owned business percentage..... And that's it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A local University awarded the brick contract for a new science building to a minority owned business.

Not one brick was set by a minority. The only minority in the company was owner.

A lot of companies have "owners" that qualify for the minority owned business percentage..... And that's it.

All they had to do was incorporate their business under their wife's names.  Duhhhhhh.

I am 1/32 Native American so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:41:33 AM EDT
[#9]
When keeping it real goes wrong.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not like they didn't know about this when they signed the contract. The law is stupid but anyone competing for that contract would of had to follow the same rules. Contracts, how do they work?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://www.kwqc.com/story/23399234/2-jailed-for-fraudulently-claiming-minority-status

Guy Potter, formerly of Bensenville, was sentenced Tuesday to 54 months in prison. Matthew Giovenco of Grayslake was sentenced to 36 months in prison.

The 67-year-old Potter and 43-year-old Giovenco were convicted of fraud in April. They were accused by federal prosecutors of operating a cable installation company that was improperly subcontracted by RCN Telecom Services. To operate on Chicago's North Side, RCN was required to subcontract 40% of its installation and disconnection services to minority-owned businesses.
View Quote

I feel safer.  Yay government!  I think I'll go vote for more of nothing and pretend this shit isn't happening.  Woooh.  Merca!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's not like they didn't know about this when they signed the contract. The law is stupid but anyone competing for that contract would of had to follow the same rules. Contracts, how do they work?
View Quote

That validates prison.  'Merca!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Taking advantage of the 'favor' that modern business/government shows minorities (in a supposedly colorblind society), who'd have thunk it!

Fraud?  Sure, but fraud against a blatantly unconstitutional regulation that most ignore because it makes them feel good.  The I wonder how they otherwise performed in their contract.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:52:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd like someone to explain to me, at a biological level, the fundamental difference between a Peruvian mestizo and a child of a Irish father and Vietnamese mother.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Who decides that someone is a minority? And what method do they use to verify? I'm as lilly white as they come, but if I claimed I was black, hispanic or indian, how does someone dispute it?

For instance, Solidad O'Brian considers herself to be black. Her kids in this picture could claim to be black, but they certainly don't fit the mold of "black" as it is commonly applied in American society. Would they be convicted of fraud if they claimed to be black?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Who brought the charges against them ??  and / or, how did this become a Criminal rather than a Civil case?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:57:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see tons of sub-contractors that are woman owned so they qualify for minority status.  Typically the husband puts the company in the wife's name so he can get work.  The wife usually just answers the phone.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone too stupid to get a "minority front man" on a contract like this deserves to be in prison. It's not that hard to find someone to sign off on an LLC etc...as El Jefe Supremo For Life or whatever the fuck you want to call them....
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They misappropriated millions of the taxpayers money. It's the same as saying "Build a Road and make the pavement to this spec" and they used a different spec for the pavement. The pavement may not be any worse then spec'd but you would be contractually obligated to make it to spec. They most likely went to prison because it wasn't an "oppsy" but actively and intentionally broke the contract
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is how it it works.  I sell you 50.01% of the company with a loan that has an on demand clause for the full price of the company and requires that you lease all of the facilities, equipment, and labor from me for any work the company performs.  You must be available at my will.  I still am the CFO And the CEO.  We bid and get the minority set a side contracts and you get a cut.  You get out of line and I call the loan getting the ownership of a company that owns nothing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:03:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Is "minority" defined?  I'm the only Alsatian/Irish/Scottish mutt I know, I must be in a minority.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh gee, another thread where we try to convince ourselves that only the moran bureaucrats are obsessed with archaic racial concepts and that conservatives are colorblind?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They misappropriated millions of the taxpayers money. It's the same as saying "Build a Road and make the pavement to this spec" and they used a different spec for the pavement. The pavement may not be any worse then spec'd but you would be contractually obligated to make it to spec. They most likely went to prison because it wasn't an "oppsy" but actively and intentionally broke the contract
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Fourteenth Amendment to the U. S. Constitution reads:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#25]
They are probably in prison because they didn't bribe the right person.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oh gee, another thread where we try to convince ourselves that only the moran bureaucrats are obsessed with archaic racial concepts and that conservatives are colorblind?
View Quote

Of course, these two would be completely equivelent if ARFCOM was delivering millions in government reparations, er, I mean, contracts and government bureaucrats were bitching about it on message boards.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here is how it it works.  I sell you 50.01% of the company with a loan that has an on demand clause for the full price of the company and requires that you lease all of the facilities, equipment, and labor from me for any work the company performs.  You must be available at my will.  I still am the CFO And the CEO.  We bid and get the minority set a side contracts and you get a cut.  You get out of line and I call the loan getting the ownership of a company that owns nothing.
View Quote

Pretty fucking sad that this kind of shit is what it takes to compete today.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone too stupid to get a "minority front man" on a contract like this deserves to be in prison. It's not that hard to find someone to sign off on an LLC etc...as El Jefe Supremo For Life or whatever the fuck you want to call them....
View Quote

JFC

Let's not fix what's fucked up.  Let's accept it and be thankful.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#29]
define "minority"
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I work for a Mechanical Construction company in Central Illinois. Almost all State, University of Illinois and public funded projects have Minority "Goals" you must meet or provide documentation that you tried to meet. I say "Goals" because these are actuallly requirements you have to meet.
For U of I projects the "Goal" is 15% of the work has to be performed or bought through a minority contractor or supplier. In additiion to the 15% there are workforce requirements that a percentage of the manpower has to be minority workers.

I'm sure in Chicago these requirements are a little easier to meet since most of the Minority owned buisinesses approved by the State are located North of I-80. But down here in Central Illinois we have no Minority Contractors or suppliers so it becomes really difficult.

Minority defined by the Buisiness Enterprise for Minorities, Females and Persons with Disabilities Act
(A) For the purpose of this Act, the following terms shall have the following definitions:
       (1) "Minority person" shall mean a person who is a  
    citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States and who is any of the following:

(a) American Indian or Alaska Native (a person  
        having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America, including Central America, and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment).

(b) Asian (a person having origins in any of the  
        original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent, including, but not limited to, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam).

(c) Black or African American (a person having  
        origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa). Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American".

(d) Hispanic or Latino (a person of Cuban,  
        Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race).

(e) Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (a  
        person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands).

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Who decides that someone is a minority? And what method do they use to verify? I'm as lilly white as they come, but if I claimed I was black, hispanic or indian, how does someone dispute it?

For instance, Solidad O'Brian considers herself to be black. Her kids in this picture could claim to be black, but they certainly don't fit the mold of "black" as it is commonly applied in American society. Would they be convicted of fraud if they claimed to be black?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2717465570_b00ccd528a.jpg
View Quote

"One drop rule" if claiming black. Dawes/Millers rolls if claming native american. I have no idea for other races.

I'm as white as can be, however because I have multiple family members on the indian census, as well as relatives from south africa; I can claim black or indian.

Race based anything is stupid as fuck though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

JFC

TXL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JFC

TXL

Oh I agree it's fucked up, but you really have to be some kind of special stupid because the work around, explained twice in this thread, is NOT that difficult. Take a look at Kyle Lamb, founder of Viking Tactics. Does he LOOK like a woman to you? No? Well, according to his website, a woman, his WIFE owns the company....wonder why that is?

http://www.vikingtactics.com/faq.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I work for a Mechanical Construction company in Central Illinois. Almost all State, University of Illinois and public funded projects have Minority "Goals" you must meet or provide documentation that you tried to meet. I say "Goals" because these are actuallly requirements you have to meet.
For U of I projects the "Goal" is 15% of the work has to be performed or bought through a minority contractor or supplier. In additiion to the 15% there are workforce requirements that a percentage of the manpower has to be minority workers.

I'm sure in Chicago these requirements are a little easier to meet since most of the Minority owned buisinesses approved by the State are located North of I-80. But down here in Central Illinois we have no Minority Contractors or suppliers so it becomes really difficult.

Minority defined by the Buisiness Enterprise for Minorities, Females and Persons with Disabilities Act
(A) For the purpose of this Act, the following terms shall have the following definitions:
    citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States and who is any of the following:

having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America, including Central America, and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment).

original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent, including, but not limited to, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam).

origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa).
Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American".

Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race).

person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands).

View Quote

being that humanity originated in Africa, we all fit that discription
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#34]
What difference does it make??¿?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"One drop rule" if claiming black. Dawes/Millers rolls if claming native american. I have no idea for other races.

I'm as white as can be, however because I have multiple family members on the indian census, as well as relatives from south africa; I can claim black or indian.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the one hand it's kinda moronic (I had no idea Soledad O'Brien was allegedly 'black', but if your kids have blonde hair then you cannot seriously claim to be black.). On the other hand it's kinda great.  The more the lines between races and who can claim to be what ethnicity blur, the less words and concepts like 'racism', 'bias', and 'prejudice' will matter.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

To operate on Chicago's North Side, RCN was required to subcontract 40% of its installation and disconnection services to minority-owned businesses.
View Quote

THAT is the real crime here.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I thought race was a social construct.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Could of claimed to be gay
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Racist...
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

you have NO MEXICANS in Tn?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

On the one hand it's kinda moronic (I had no idea Soledad O'Brien was allegedly 'black', but if your kids have blonde hair then you cannot seriously claim to be black.). On the other hand it's kinda great.  The more the lines between races and who can claim to be what ethnicity blur, the less words and concepts like 'racism', 'bias', and 'prejudice' will matter.
View Quote

All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soledad is not more black than she is Irish or Hispanic.  Her mom was black, but pretty light skinned herself.  She has never claimed to be exclusively "black."

I find the outrage over her funny in light of the latest Sweden thread and the paranoia about loss of blond children.

Will and Zan and others can rest assured, there is hope for the future of the white race.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
i work for one......the only reason we get the university contracts for which we provide engineering consulting is because we're a HUB company...
kinda perpetuates the whole racism thing in my opinion
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#45]
That shit is so fucking racist it is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

The other trick is for the 'minority' business to get the contract and immediately turn around and hire a subcontractor to do all the work.

A minority firm here in MN got in trouble because they were supposed to have at minimum the building supplies delivered to them, and then they'd send them over to where the subcontractors were working.  The minority company skipped that step and just had the materials shipped right to the worksite.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Aren't all the racial questions based on the racial or ethnic group you identify most with?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa). Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American".

View Quote

define "a person having origins"..

humans started out in africa... that makes my "origins" black....
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Aren't all the racial questions based on the racial or ethnic group you identify most with?
View Quote

The terms of art in Canada are "visible minority."

So, no being born a poor white kid in Hawaii and becoming an Asian/Pacific Islander.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

How is this possibly legal?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top