Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2013 9:20:29 PM EDT
someone please tell me the point of this show. I love it but i don't always understand it. Purgatory, a dream, what?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you haven't finished it I would say I hope you enjoy the journey above the destination. If not, stop and do something better with your time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
They were dead.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive watched it all but i was always confused
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Last season is flash forwards.. In these flash forwards they are dead.

The story literally mirrors Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some writers came up with an interesting idea for a tv show but never thought they would ever actually have to come up with an ending. Then it wasn't cancelled and they had to keep making stuff up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
How did two threads magically appear tonight about Lost?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL... Lost was the last TV show I had any interest in watching. I loved it, but yes indeed, the last season / ending sucked ass.

I'll wait for the FBHO impeachment hearings to be entertained by TV again.

FBHO
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is incorrect. Don't listen to anyone in this thread except me.

Have you see the whole series? Do you want me to explain it in detail and spoil it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

It has to be something to do with Hugo
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some writers came up with an interesting idea for a tv show but never thought they would ever actually have to come up with an ending. Then it wasn't cancelled and they had to keep making stuff up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. The writers at some point said "uh-oh."
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have you see the whole series? Do you want me to explain it in detail and spoil it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not incorrect. Very easy to draw many parallels between both story arcs as a whole. Carlton and Damen both even admitted that they worship at the altar of stephen king.

Did you even coda, bro?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]
They werent dead. They each died at different times. Did a sideways move into purgatory. While waiting for others. The magnetic field upset the island and the transfer of their minds to a final resting place. Besides, the writers were fucked after season 3! Its a money maker, " Milk That Cow"
Fuck, i dont know!!! I liked the show though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Ill break it down.
D
WARNING SPOILERS IN THIS POST.

The show is about a group of strangers that somehow survive a horrific plane crash and get trapped on a mysterious island. EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS ON THE ISLAND HAPPENED. They were not dead...they were not in purgatory....they were not dreaming or imagining anything. EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED ON THE ISLAND AND OFF THE ISLAND HAPPENED. They were hand picked by the island caretaker Jacob. Jacob has a un named brother referred to as the man in black....he can take the form of dead people. He also happens to be a "smoke monster". Smokey wants off the island more than anything....he's been there for thousands of years. The island basically is a balance of good and evil in the world and if he gets off, the scale tips in evils favor.

There were flash forward seasons and there were flashback seasons. There were time travel seasons.

Season six (the final season) was a FLASH SIDEWAYS. It was....for lack of a better term...a separate timeline that ran concurrent to the island time line. BOTH OF THOSE TIMELINES WERE HAPPENING AT THE SAME TIME.

Ill admit, season six gets tricky....but if all the cry babies would watch the finale again....it's does a fantastic job of explaining everything.

Season 6 is basically being told through Jack Shephards point of view. Jack assumes the role of Jacob on the island (briefly) and winds up suffering a fatal knife wound prior to killing smokey. He dies in the bamboo forest just after SEEING HIS FRIENDS FLY OVERHEAD IN AJIRA FLIGHT 316....

Meanwhile in the "sideways world" all the LOSTIES are bumping into one another....and they're getting glimpses of their life back on the island. Jacks dead father explains to Jack that THE TIME JACK SPENT ON THE ISLAND WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIME IN HIS LIFE. That all those people he was with were all meant to be together.  This "sideways world" was basically a place that they created to re connect with one another so that they could all "move on" together.

In the sideways world, there is no time...it doesn't exist the way it does in life. Jack died on the island and Kate flys overhead in AJIRA flight 316 but Kate says to him " I've missed you so much" . So she has lived out the rest of her normal life. Hurley says to Ben, "You were a great number two"...Ben replies "And you were a great number 1" ( Hurley and Ben wound up as island caretakers after Jack died). Those two watched over the island for what may have been hundreds or thousands of years.

But here they all are together....because time doesn't exist the same in the after life.

YES....NOW THEY ARE ALL DEAD!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not incorrect. Very easy to draw many parallels between both story arcs as a whole. Carlton and Damen both even admitted that they worship at the altar of stephen king.

Did you even coda, bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you even coda, bro?

Incorrect about the flash forward....see my above post
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Further....

Season 6 finale explained. (Really the last two episodes)

The reason people are so baffled and confused by the sideways world is because they chose to weave it in the way they did with the flashbacks and forwards. Had they separated them, it would have been much clearer but way anticlimactic.

Jack kills smokey and stumbles into the woods. He lays down and sees Ajira Flight 316 fly off the island with his surviving friends. Jack closes his eyes and dies. That is technically end of story. If you watch just the flash sideways from this point out...things become much clearer.

And I hated to say "separate timeline" to explain the flash sideways world in that other post.....it's not that. It's more like a separate existence.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Best series ABC has ever done.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my theory. I think it got bigger than they ever imagined it would and by the end they had no idea what to do with it so we got the BS of the last two seasons.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Further....

Season 6 finale explained. (Really the last two episodes)

The reason people are so baffled and confused by the sideways world is because they chose to weave it in the way they did with the flashbacks and forwards. Had they separated them, it would have been much clearer but way anticlimactic.

Jack kills smokey and stumbles into the woods. He lays down and sees Ajira Flight 316 fly off the island with his surviving friends. Jack closes his eyes and dies. That is technically end of story. If you watch just the flash sideways from this point out...things become much clearer.

And I hated to say "separate timeline" to explain the flash sideways world in that other post.....it's not that. It's more like a separate existence.

View Quote

This is a pretty good explanation. It is based on the idea of branching realities, which is part of new physics and string theory. That all possible outcomes branch off in separate realities, so there can be two parallel but different timelines/realities. Abrams is obsessed with this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

someone please tell me the point of this show. I love it but i don't always understand it. Purgatory, a dream, what?
View Quote

To sell advertising

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top