Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 6:58:29 PM EDT
Watching a lot of these docudramas, like first 48, and others.

I'm wondering why is it we spend the valuable tax payers dollars on these prisons, food, room and board for murderers murdering murderers. It really seems ludicrous.

The disparity of sentences from inmate to inmate is profound. Someone with a couple of drug charges is serving life without parole (seemingly a non violent prisoner) vs. a 1st or 2nd degree murderer who is doing 40 years, with presumably a possibility of parole.

We are prosecuting and spending billions collectively to prosecute and place on the public dole murderers of other violent criminals.

A solution? When investigating a murder if the murdered person is identified and they have a violent criminal record, we cease the investigation and move on to the next. If the investigators are investigating a murder and the murdered individual does not have a violent criminal record we move forward with the investigation.

In the end basically we are letting the criminals weed each other out and not interfere when the violent element of society are eliminating each other.

I'm certain there may be some philosophical or moral issues with this philosophy. But it would be interesting to hear others ideas.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Okay, I'm in.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That's not how laws are supposed to work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I understand his point.

Why do you want to pay to incarcerate somebody who arguably made society a little bit better by removing a societal turd.

I think it's an interesting point, but you still need to remove someone from society who is prone to solve their personal issues this way as it may be likely that the next person that they kill is just an old guy that looked like an easy target.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I understand his point.

Why do you want to pay to incarcerate somebody who arguably made society a little bit better by removing a societal turd.

I think it's an interesting point, but you still need to remove someone from society who is prone to solve their personal issues this way as it may be likely that the next person that they kill is just an old guy that looked like an easy target.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand his point.

Good point. A murderer bent on killing although they may have killed another shitbird, their next victim may be an innocent or productive member of society.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I understand his point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand his point.

Agreed.  There are many more factors than just simple "cause and effect" at work in that venue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good point. A murderer bent on killing although they may have killed another shitbird, their next victim may be an innocent or productive member of society.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand his point.

Though, to expand on your earlier point, I have heard someone using the term "public service homicide" before.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I understand his point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand his point.

While I'll agree in a heartbeat we need better self defense laws, laws like mentioned would engourage things like lynch mobs. Then, if you killed three people that had violent pasts, you would be exonerated because they had violent pasts. Then if I killed you, I'd be exonerated because you had a violent past. When someone killed me... ... ...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Though, to expand on your earlier point, I have heard someone using the term "public service homicide" before.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand his point.

We would have to jump a mental chasm. As we are investigating and prosecuting murderers of innocent people, just not other violent offenders.

We would hope the murderer becomes a victim himself before he or she would bring another non violent person, victim into the fold.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

While I'll agree in a heartbeat we need better self defense laws, laws like mentioned would engourage things like lynch mobs. Then, if you killed three people that had violent pasts, you would be exonerated because they had violent pasts. Then if I killed you, I'd be exonerated because you had a violent past. When someone killed me... ... ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand his point.

Very good point. Better self defense laws would be a good fix to stop this rampant violent crime.

I'm afraid of prosecutors though, like this peeping Tom guy for instance curb stomping this guy who was naked peering through his young daughter window. Liberal prosecutors will put a guy trying to defend his own life or family through the wringer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top