Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2013 6:12:48 PM EDT
is there an etiquette for shooting magnums at an indoor range? I dont have access to an outdoor range in part because of my work schedule and location however I do occassionally want to shoot larger caliber handguns. Unfortunetly I work like most other folks during the week and have to get to the range on Saturday, which is a busy day for them. I request an end station but they arent often avaiable. I dont shoot rapid fire nor shoot >25 rounds out of the big bores but its still seems folks are pissed about the noise and concussion. The range has no rules against the big calibers and folks do shoot .308 and 12ga so a magnum revolver isnt out of line but they do seem to draw more sneers.

I have tried to be nice and even offered others an opportunity to shoot it after they peer around the lane divider and shout something like "WTF was that!?" One guy told me that they shouldnt allow "hand cannons" in the range

If it matters its the .454 and .460 that create the issue.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
fuck them. It's a fucking shooting range. If they didn't expect anything loud, they are fucking retards.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fuck them. It's a fucking shooting range. If they didn't expect anything loud, they are fucking retards.
View Quote

Pretty much.  I always find it annoying when people complain about how loud my AR is, not my fault you wear cheap ear pro.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
460s are pretty brutal, but it is expected at a range. I always double up so it wouldn't bother me too terribly. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Find someone to loanor acquire a 10.5 upper and loud brake (jp) because fuck em.  Get a slide fire and beta mag to go full retard.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Magnums help clear out the unsafe assholes.  .357 Sig does a very effective job, along with 1800fps .357 magnum.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot a 16 mosin at my local indoor range. I am pretty sure I have burned people on adjoining lanes .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I'd personally try to take it a little easy if there's clearly a new shooter in a lane next to me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also appreciate your frequent use of the word fuck. It's rare I find someone that uses it more than myself.  I was warned about it at work and I'm in the trucking end of a construction company.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
You payed for your time just like they did, fuck em if they can't handle it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Perhaps bring some individually wrapped ear plugs or an extra pair of muffs so you could offer the person next to you to double plug.

Otherwise, it's a damn shooting range. If you're following the rules on any caliber restrictions, do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend and I were once told our shotgun shells were "too loud" at a trap range (outdoors).  We were like

It was one of the few places nearby to shoot, when I lived in a Chicago suburb.  They made such a favorable impression on us, that we never went back.  A few years after I moved back to Indiana, (home of the free compared to IL) I heard the range was closed down due to lead.  I hate it when the gun community eats their own, but I found it hard to feel sorry for those A-holes.

As for the OP's question?
Maybe a friendly warning.  "Hey, this is gonna be loud"
Then have fun.  You've paid for the privilege.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck'em.......I LOVE lighting off my 7.5" SBR at the range.......people give me dirty looks, but I just continue mission.......one day, if I'm feeling particularly asshole-ish, I'll put a muzzle brake on it instead.

It's a god damn shooting range. Loud noises happen. Don't like it? Get the fuck out.

If there are people trying to teach others to shoot, I usually tone it down, and break out the suppressed USP 45 Tac.......but crowds usually form behind me, because NFA stuff isn't common at all where I'm from......I can't win either way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The only time I would care if there were kids at the indoor range.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the loudest handgun round, the .500 magnum?

I've never fired one inside, but it is one loud merf!

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I light this candle at an indoor range.  It makes the targets hung at 25 feet jump from the concussion.

I have gotten looks before, but only the ornery ones don't smile.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#17]
"Hey, just FYI I'm going to be shooting ___ Magnums and/or other high-caliber, noisy guns."
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I feel what they are saying OP. I don't know people bring loud guns to a shooting range and keep shooting them off. I come down there to read and take naps and inconsiderate assholes are constantly disturbing me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to only have an indoor range to go to that was NFA friendly. I ALWAYS got put next to the wall. Being the shooter its no big deal. But if you were next to me a half a mag dump from an 11 1/2" M16 isn't pleasant.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I once walked into an indoor range in Columbus, near closing time. There was one lane open, but there were two of us that wanted to shoot. My good friend busted out a SBR'd HK 91, with some kind of nasty muzzle brake attached.

We had the range to ourselves, in short order. Wear better ear plugs and muffs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#21]
a buddy used to catch hell for shooting big bore revolvers at the indoor range.

one day he shows up, shoots a coupld rounds of .460sw, gets the dirty looks, so he comes back and starts setting up the 8mm 1919, and the floor shook until the belt ran dry.
since then, nobody said anything about his .460sw
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#22]
It's an indoor range, not church

Muff up and shut up
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Find someone to loanor acquire a 10.5 upper and loud brake (jp) because fuck em.  Get a slide fire and beta mag to go full retard.
View Quote

I was running a KAC triple tap on a 10.3" until I got my suppressor.  That was impressive at indoor ranges.  

And, for those who complain about ranges being too loud.  I offer the following solution...

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

one day he shows up, shoots a coupld rounds of .460sw, gets the dirty looks, so he comes back and starts setting up the 8mm 1919, and the floor shook until the belt ran dry.
View Quote

That guy is my hero.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That guy is my hero.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy is my hero.

mine too. it was hilarious to watch.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#26]
My encore 10" .308Win with a full load and muzzle brake would be pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL, I love my Surefire muzzle break......not sure why no one else does

I will not shoot my 5.56 indoors with that break on it because I have been beside one while shooting, they suck to be around but I love the things.

Indoor ranges suck no matter what, .22's are loud so everything else is going to be louder. I have never minded large bore shooters, most of them are cool guys and never shoot all that much and there is always time between shots. I would rather have a large bore shooter next to me then the wannabe gangsta just shooting as fast as he can for no reason at all, that is more distracting than a big boom, to me anyway.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally I would ask if I could give you a few bucks or buy a box of ammo for the chance to shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Personally I would ask if I could give you a few bucks or buy a box of ammo for the chance to shoot it.
View Quote
You sound pretty normal.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I will not shoot my 5.56 indoors with that break on it because I have been beside one while shooting, they suck to be around but I love the things.

Indoor ranges suck no matter what, .22's are loud so everything else is going to be louder. I have never minded large bore shooters, most of them are cool guys and never shoot all that much and there is always time between shots. I would rather have a large bore shooter next to me then the wannabe gangsta just shooting as fast as he can for no reason at all, that is more distracting than a big boom, to me anyway.
View Quote
My 16" AR with the SureFire brake has cleared the benched beside me before at the outdoor range.

I can't wait for my 10.3" MK18 to come outta jail so I can always have alone time on the range.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was next to some asshat that did a 15 yard mag dump out of his AK-47. It was really annoying and augmented by the fact that his target looked like it had been shot with a 12 gauge several times over. I only shoot 9mm these days at an indoor range primarily. Occasionally, I break out the LMT with - wait for it - my MB556.

Electronic ear pro for the win!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#32]
The only times I have gotten the looks was when I was shooting my .357 Magnum with some very hot Blue Dot reloads.  You could feel the heat and concussion from them!  
Also shooting a Colt .45 with heavy black powder reloads gets "the look."    ... and some coughing too.  Geez, you would have thought someone passed gas in church.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#33]
.50 BMG, SHORT BARREL, HUGE BRAKE.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, been surprised by concussion.  I was shooting a custom BHP and S&W 686; the 686 rattles you a bit indoors even with double ears.  The only other guys on the range touched off something and I went "WTF?", then shortly the full auto started:  turned out to be a couple of big city detectives with a DE .50 and a Colt AR 9mm.  After my approach to see exactly what was occurring, they were incredibly accommodating, and demanded I shoot both weapons to my heart's content.  Didn't hurt that I was dressed in casual business attire.  I suggest a very firm grip on the Deagle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#35]
The only time it was ever an issue was when I took my friend to the range. Granted he had never shot a gun before, so I could see how the AR in the stall next to us could have startled him a little bit.

Other than that, I could care less if you were banging away with an MG3 chambered in .338.....well my fillings might care.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet that cleared your sinuses.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:47:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I think you should be able to shoot them, (the guns).  Personally I don't care for indoor ranges, I look around and see chunks of concrete blown out where a gun shouldn't be aimed, even at the nice ones.

I have an outdoor range, that has limits on membership.  I can go there and not see another person. I use it in the winter, even less people.   Those I do see treat things as I do.  

I have no RO, I don't have to buy their shitty reloaded ammo, and I don't have a retard next to me I'm worried about.  Just birds, trees, a lake, open space, a skeet range, a rifle / pistol range, and a combination for the gate lock.

It's worth the 85 bucks a year.  That's it.  No hourly shit.  We can go as a family and talk amongst ourselves, alone.

Fuck an indoor range.  my .02

Oh and I have no limits on what I shoot.  Toss in  the county sheriffs are next door, and go full auto all the time.  Yup, private range.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Shooting is noisy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
is there an etiquette for shooting magnums at an indoor range?.  
View Quote

Yes.  You need to let me put a few rounds downrange with it.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:54:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I shoot .44 Magnum regularly. I often get the looks initially of "what was that?" Sometimes the ranges will put me in my own section until the other lanes start filling up. It is a firing range, what is expected? And frequently it seems I am the only one with a wheel gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm usually more pissed about the asshole shooting his SBR with a break on the end.

Then I look around and realize...  Oh shit! That was me.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#42]
if your pissed about the noise or concussion at an indoor range then you did not know what you were signing up for. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#43]
People come to the range to shoot, so that's what I expect them to do.

Besides, I always wear plugs and muffs anyway.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, I might have told noise-whiners to get the hell out of my range before.

It's like going to a strip club and being pissed about seeing tits.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I just double up ear pro. Plugs and muffs over. Always have, always will for indoor. Then I shoot all I want, and everyone else shoots what they want.

If your gun has a loud report, big muzzle flash, or a large concussion, I may check it out to see what you're shooting, but only because I'm interested in things that go boom.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:25:38 AM EDT
[#46]
My dad mostly shoots .44SPL out of the Blackhawk we got him for Christmas but he lights off at least one cylinder of Magnums just because.

Like clockwork everyone else on the range stops shooting and pokes their heads out of their stalls like Prairie Dogs to see who's making all the noise and what they're shooting.  Every time. It's pretty funny.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Duped myself.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:37:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Only time I'm peepin' is to see what kinda cool thumper somebody is shootin'

(yup, fuck 'em)
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Most of my pistols have a suppressor, so I get looks at them for being quiet, instead of noisy.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#50]
yeah OP fuck them.
It is a gun range and you are shooting a gun you need not make apology for that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top