Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/10/2013 4:07:28 PM EDT
Lately, (over the last few years) I've noticed a trend on here.  People talking about recoil.  It's almost akin to the gangbanger wannabe's at the local gun shop talking about how powerful the desert eagle is.

"The Mosin kicks like a mule!" and "I'd like 12 gauge slugs more if they didn't kick so much" are just a couple I see here on a weekly basis.

Am I the exception to the rule?  I grew up shooting 308's and 30-06's, so to me, that's normal.  Most of the guys I shoot with are the same way so it seems normal to me.  

As far as I'm concerned, 300 win mag isn't bad, 338 is tolerable.  Over that, the recoil gets serious, but normally isn't unmanageable.  

My personal theory is that a lot of people now days, either don't shoot NEAR as much as they let on, or that they've gotten so used to AR's and the like, that they have forgotten (or never known how) to appreciate a big bore rifle and the gentle shove they bring to the table.

Is this part of the "pussification" I keep hearing about, or are that many of you so unlucky that you've never had the oppurtunity to enjoy a 375 or 416?

Either way, it's sad indeed.

Just rambling.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If hunting is out of the question people have no need for things more powerful than an AR or reduced recoil HD/skeet shotgun shells for their sporting uses.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my thumpers as much as the next guy, but I can only shoot so much 375 or 445 Supermag before I get tired of it. Noise has a lot to do with it. After a while I get fatigued from the constant pounding in my skull. Hell, I was running a 240 range today, and almost 10k rounds gets to you after a while without even shooting. . 50 days are worse.  The 25mm is the same, but much quicker (before I had a remote controlled system)
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You can handle recoil? CSB

ETA: Mosin gets annoying after about 8 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree, bunch of pussies out there. I go about once a year up to colorado (Elk/Bear) and carry my 300 win mag and my new toy a 454 casull revolver. Both kick but two of my favorite firearms.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I like guns. period.

it's more fun to shoot something that's not bruising your shoulder, but guns are fun no matter what.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Rifle recoil doesn't bother me. Pistol recoil does, at a certain point. When I can't make follow up shots and I start flinching, it's not fun anymore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I grew up shooting 30'06 from about age 9 up.  Shooting more than 20 rounds from my light weight 06 prone is no fun.  Slugs do not bother me much.  My 1895 GS with 425 gr hard cast and hot loads is painful to shoot after about 6 shots.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm good up to 1/2 a box of .458 Win mag at a time.

That shit is brutal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I was gonna say 10 or 12 rounds...but I agree
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, that didn't take long...  
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I grew up shooting 30'06 from about age 9 up.  Shooting more than 20 rounds from my light weight 06 prone is no fun.  Slugs do not bother me much.  My 1895 GS with 425 gr hard cast and hot loads is painful to shoot after about 6 shots.
View Quote

Hell yes!  Fire 3-4, take a little break, fire 3-4 more.  No shame in that!

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#13]
The only recoil that bothers me is a day at the range shooting a couple of boxes of 00 Buck.  I've never spent a day behind a .338 or .50, although I've squeezed off a few rounds of each at the range on a few occasions, and it wasn't bad.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That shit is brutal.
View Quote

Understandable.  But you still shoot it...

I'm talking about the guys that say shit like Mosins are annoying after 8 rounds...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
You're on a site that is mostly dedicated to glorified souped up .22's.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I've shot some big stuff and some long strings, and the only time I ever been uncomfortable enough to considered taking a break was on a 14-box day on the dove field.  Started to get a little chafed
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That shit is brutal.
View Quote

I've done four rounds of .458 Lott at once!

I think the idea of $5+ vaporizing with each yank of the trigger stopped me before the recoil did!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmm think it is time for me to toughen up a little and go dump two bandoleers through my M1.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Recoil hurts my delicate frame.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot 300 win mag and 7mm RUM and they don't bother me a bit now I have a snub nose 357 and it will make your hand sore. I have noticed allot of older guys don't like the recoil like they used to.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm talking about the guys that say shit like Mosins are annoying after 8 rounds...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That shit is brutal.

I've been shooting since I was 4. Everything from .22s to 50s.

A day of shooting clays gives me a headache the next day. A couple of boxes of 7.62X54r has the same effect. I still love all four of my Mosins, but they're not much fun to shoot.

Probably has something to do with my neck problems after being dropped flat on my back in a martial arts class about 8 years ago.

But I'll go ahead and bow to you anyway, O pinnacle of manliness.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree! But I can still manage the little stomper. Hell you might say I like it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A day of shooting clays gives me a headache the next day. A couple of boxes of 7.62X54r has the same effect. I still love all four of my Mosins, but they're not much fun to shoot.

Probably has something to do with my neck problems after being dropped flat on my back in a martial arts class about 8 years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That shit is brutal.

K.  Thanks.  Didn't ask.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I like a man with a high pain tolerance and can take a shot without a butt pad.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think the idea of $5+ vaporizing with each yank of the trigger stopped me before the recoil did!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That shit is brutal.

Cut a 12 ga single barrel down to minimum length and shoot slugs.  Cheaper, and you get the same effect.  I did that when I was maybe 20 years old.  Handy gun, but 4 slugs and the shoulder was purple.  Shooting #4 buck patterned fairly well to 30 yards though.  Must have been the way the pellets stacked in the Cyl bore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I shoot 300 win mag and 7mm RUM and they don't bother me a bit now I have a snub nose 357 and it will make your hand sore. I have noticed allot of older guys don't like the recoil like they used to.
View Quote

I ran 20 rounds through a VERY light 338 the other day.  I felt it the next day, but enjoyed while shooting.  4- 5 round groups.  

Also, I too have a couple hand cannons that hurt, but they're still fun.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

Yes sweetheart.  I know.  Now please bring me another scotch
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

The OP sounds like your man.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Most of my modest collection is .30cal c&r bolt guns, these also make up the bulk of my shooting, along with military style shotguns in 12ga.  Folks who whine about recoil are pussies, I also own and shoot a .375H&H.  I learned to shoot on old surplus rifles, and im glad I did because all the modern intermediate chambering are a breeze to shoot.  Im with the op, most ppl either don't shoot much or have sand in their vaginas.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I got into guns via the surplus world of the early 00's. 8mm, 54R, .30-06, etc.

Shooting AR-15s are sweet compared to those.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

K.  Thanks.  Didn't ask.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That shit is brutal.

K.  Thanks.  Didn't ask.  

My bad, by the thread title I was assuming you wanted a discussion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm 51 and I've been shooting since I was 6. I've fired everything from BB guns to 50 BMG. it has nothing to do with the pussification
of American men. If less recoil gets the job done then why punish yourself? It doesn't make me feel more manly to shoot a squirrel with a 300 win mag than it does a .22.

A person's frame size and structure certainly comes into play as well. Put a skinny man prone with an M14 (metal butt stock) and he's not going to last as long as a fat ass internet couch commando. If I needed assistance, I'd rather have the skinny guy with an AR with me that than a fat ass with a large calibre rifle. I have nothing to prove by buying or shooting anything bigger than needed for its intended purpose. A 270 is fine for deer so why a 300 win mag? I'm just happy that people are shooting regardless of their ability to withstand a lot of recoil. The rest is just a lot of macho posturing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep...my M44 will beat the shit out of my arthritis ridden shoulders after 20 rounds or so. It quits being fun being kicked by that slag heap of a buttplate pretty damned quick.

ETA: . My PSL fired the same cartridge with half the felt recoil, and my VEPR , also in 7.62 is manageable as well.

Oh, and I have fuck all to prove to anyone on this planet about dealing with recoil.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck Jerry Tsai. End of discussion.

Wait.... what are we talking about again?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm 51 and I've been shooting since I was 6. I've fired everything from BB guns to 50 BMG. it has nothing to do with the pussification
of American men. If less recoil gets the job done then why punish yourself? It doesn't make me feel more manly to shoot a squirrel with a 300 win mag than it does a .22.

A person's frame size and structure certainly comes into play as well. Put a skinny man prone with an M14 (metal butt stock) and he's not going to last as long as a fat ass internet couch commando. If I needed assistance, I'd rather have the skinny guy with an AR with me that than a fat ass with a large calibre rifle. I have nothing to prove by buying or shooting anything bigger than needed for its intended purpose. A 270 is fine for deer so why a 300 win mag? I'm just happy that people are shooting regardless of their ability to withstand a lot of recoil. The rest is just a lot of macho posturing.
View Quote

I agree to an extent, people should use more than enough gun to get the job done. A .270, .243, etc is a much better caliber than a .223 for northern whitetails.Yeah a .223 will do the job IF you do your part and nothing goes wrong. You still have to do your part with the bigger guns but you get a little more margin of error.

That being said, I'm fascinated with the evolution of the turkey guns. People are reloading TSS shot into 20 gauges, the density of the shot makes 8 or 9 shot comparable to 4 or 6 shot in a 12 gauge. They're shooting GOOD turkey patterns out to 60 yards out of a 3" 20 gauge. Much less recoil, a lighter gun to tote around, etc. Winning all the way around.

Compare the recoil energy of the 3.5" 12 gauge that I'm using now compared to a big bore rifle and some others:
12 ga., 3.5" Turkey: 77.75
.458 Win Mag: 69.96
7mm Mag: 19.87
.270: 15.99
.223: 3.02

If I can shoot a 20 ga. and get BETTER patterns, BETTER range and a more lightweight firearm to tote around the field, sign me up!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kilts.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Didn't mind my 91/30 so much but hated shooting a .44 mag pistol.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Kilts.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kilts.

TRG

You had me at kilts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll shoot .375 H&H all day long. Fuck a Mosin.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Didn't mind my 91/30 so much but hated shooting a .44 mag pistol.
View Quote

My DW 744 weighs a fucking ton, so I can get a few boxes in before I give up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#43]
After about a dozen rounds through my bolt action 50BMG upper - I'm DONE!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

call me
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#45]
See a lot of guys trying to tame the recoil of the AR with different compensators.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

call me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

call me

You guys should have a three way with the brony virgin.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#47]
2-1/4 ounces of shot in a 3-1/2" magnum is about my limit.        

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll have to narrow it down further than that....
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I usually shoot 20 rounds with my.308 and 20 rounds through the mosin before getting sore.... the mosin has a limbsaver on it though
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

call me

and have to share TRG??!  pffffffft, that guy is gonna have to fleshlight or asslight it or whatever it is that they do...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top