Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 3:30:13 PM EDT
Middle East Genocide

We also accept extravagant claims that “civilized” Arabs rescued the classical texts that formed our civilization. That’s utter nonsense. The Arab hordes that burst out of barren Arabia in the 7th century were composed of illiterates. Conquering at a time when the warring Byzantine and Persian empires had exhausted themselves, the new rulers found that tribal practices didn’t suffice to run provinces. So they took over the existing bureaucracies, staffed by Greek-speaking Christians and Jews. It was those officials who saved the Greek classics for Europe’s future Renaissance — and their descendants designed Islam’s greatest monuments.
Yes, some Arab rulers came to value learning — but the Arab world never produced a Homer, Plato, Sophocles or Thucydides whose appeal transcended their culture.
Islam was a religion spread by war. It was only a “religion of peace” where it had conquered. True, Islam sometimes proved more tolerant of minorities than Europeans, but that was at the zenith of the faith’s power.
There’s yet another illusion of ours — that Islam is gaining strength. Islam is on the ropes. What we’ve seen in the pogroms and outright genocides over the last 150 years has been the spleen of a once-triumphant faith whose practices and values can’t compete in the modern age.
Consider today’s Middle East, apart from Israel. Despite the massive influx of oil wealth, there isn’t one world-class university. Nothing of quality or technological complexity is manufactured between Morocco and Pakistan. Not even Saudi Arabia has first-rate health-care. Research is nil. Patent applications are statistically zero. Women are regarded as lesser beings, wasting half of the region’s human capital. Not one Arab society’s a meritocracy. And corruption cripples all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Good read.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, he's good. . .been reading him in the NY Post for a couple of years. . .
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
"Consider today’s Middle East, apart from Israel. Despite the massive influx of oil wealth, there isn’t one world-class university. Nothing of quality or technological complexity is manufactured between Morocco and Pakistan. Not even Saudi Arabia has first-rate health-care. Research is nil. Patent applications are statistically zero. Women are regarded as lesser beings, wasting half of the region’s human capital. Not one Arab society’s a meritocracy. And corruption cripples all."

Never thought about it like that before.  The potential techo-wizards leave,get educated, and be creative in the First World countries.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Consider today’s Middle East, apart from Israel. Despite the massive influx of oil wealth, there isn’t one world-class university. Nothing of quality or technological complexity is manufactured between Morocco and Pakistan. Not even Saudi Arabia has first-rate health-care. Research is nil. Patent applications are statistically zero. Women are regarded as lesser beings, wasting half of the region’s human capital. Not one Arab society’s a meritocracy. And corruption cripples all."

Never thought about it like that before.  The potential techo-wizards leave,get educated, and be creative in the First World countries.
View Quote

Dude was an intelligence officer. I guess he is good at research and looks at things differently than dumbasses like me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Always liked this:

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Haaaa!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Ralph rarely call 'em wrong.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ralph rarely call 'em wrong.
View Quote

I have a couple of his books. He has more out now.
I may hit amazon.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I generally agree with everything he says and will be purchasing a few of his books.
He and I also share the same last name
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I generally agree with everything he says and will be purchasing a few of his books.
He and I also share the same last name
View Quote

Anglo-Norman I would guess.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
The culture of the Arab world, and of Iran, had a great run centuries
ago. But over the last several centuries, it has broken down, it has
lagged behind, it has become—and it is not politically correct to say
it—barbaric. Barbaric in its treatment of women, in its corruption, in
its lack of a work ethic, its lack of respect for education, and in its
fundamental tyranny on a political, social, and even familial level.

( Just finished reading the latest news article about an 8yo child bride in Yemen who died on her "wedding night" after intercourse with her 40yo husband, barbaric indeed )

Because I do not believe that all civilizations are equivalent. I don't
believe in a civilization that torments women and children, that's
woefully corrupt, that in the 21st century, not only cannot build a competitive automobile, but cannot even build a competitive bicycle!

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The culture of the Arab world, and of Iran, had a great run centuries ago. But over the last several centuries, it has broken down, it has lagged behind, it has become—and it is not politically correct to say it—barbaric. Barbaric in its treatment of women, in its corruption, in its lack of a work ethic, its lack of respect for education, and in its fundamental tyranny on a political, social, and even familial level.

( Just finished reading the latest news article about an 8yo child bride in Yemen who died on her "wedding night" after intercourse with her 40yo husband, barbaric indeed )

Because I do not believe that all civilizations are equivalent. I don't believe in a civilization that torments women and children, that's woefully corrupt, that in the 21st century, not only cannot build a competitive automobile, but cannot even build a competitive bicycle!
View Quote

In the footsteps of Mohammed and Aisha
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#13]
That left a mark.

The tragedy was that the most-backward, intolerant and indolent Arabs, primitive tribesmen, got most of the oil wealth and used it to spread their Wahhabi cult throughout the Islamic world. The intellectuals in the great Arab cities never had a chance.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That left a mark.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That left a mark.

The tragedy was that the most-backward, intolerant and indolent Arabs, primitive tribesmen, got most of the oil wealth and used it to spread their Wahhabi cult throughout the Islamic world. The intellectuals in the great Arab cities never had a chance.

The dumbest ones got the oil.  That's life.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Peters is an interesting cat.

Brilliant, and genuinely cares for the enlisted Soldier.

I don't always agree, but when I disagree, I reexamine my position carefully.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That left a mark.

The Beverly Hillbillies effect.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That left a mark.

Wow. Perfect.

If you don't mind I may borrow that one in the future.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wow. Perfect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That left a mark.

Wow. Perfect.

I stole it from an Algerian
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Peters is an interesting cat.

Brilliant, and genuinely cares for the enlisted Soldier.

I don't always agree, but when I disagree, I reexamine my position carefully.
View Quote

Sign of a smart man.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That left a mark.

Noted. Filed.
for future use
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#21]
He writes solid fiction as well. I read his "the war in 2020", and really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He writes solid fiction as well. I read his "the war in 2020", and really enjoyed it.
View Quote

I have a 3 day meeting starting tomorrow.  I need something to read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top