Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2013 10:35:16 AM EDT
I just called the Silencer Shop in Austin to purchase a suppressor. I gave my name, address, county, phone, email, trust name, and paid the $200 tax and the suppressor cost with my credit card. They add a $5 service fee for e-filing. I then emailed Silencer Shop a scan of my Trust. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. They'll e-file the docs with the BATF today. How much easier could it be?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Hide your dog
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hide your dog
View Quote

And leave your cat out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just called the Silencer Shop in Austin to purchase a suppressor. I gave my name, address, county, phone, email, trust name, and paid the $200 tax and the suppressor cost with my credit card. They add a $5 service fee for e-filing. I then emailed Silencer Shop a scan of my Trust. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. They'll e-file with docs with the BATF today. How much easier could it be?
View Quote

Not having to do it to begin with would be a hell of a lot easier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Now comes the one year wait?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
They'll change the trust rules and keep your 200
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Just reduced wait time to 8 months, 29 days and 1435 minutes.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just called the Silencer Shop in Austin to purchase a suppressor. I gave my name, address, county, phone, email, trust name, and paid the $200 tax and the suppressor cost with my credit card. They add a $5 service fee for e-filing. I then emailed Silencer Shop a scan of my Trust. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. They'll e-file with docs with the BATF today. How much easier could it be?
View Quote

Report back in six months or so.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
What about your signatures?  On the form, and the citizenship doc...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back in six months or so.

http://www.storynory.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/rip-van-winkle.jpg

I've done this before a few times....

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What about your signatures?  On the form, and the citizenship doc...
View Quote

They do it all. Not exactly sure how. He said he can e-sign all the docs for me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm expecting my 7th any day now, the check was cashed in early Feb.

I want a few more suppressors, but I'll have to wait and see what this CLEO hub-bub does.  I don't mind prints, but a CLEO is not in my cards.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You might not think it's quite that easy when you get a letter four months from now, telling you that you need to re-submit your application with photo(s), fingerprints and CLEO sign-off for the "responsible party" on the trust.

Don't start partying yet.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might not think it's quite that easy when you get a letter four months from now, telling you that you need to re-submit your application with photo(s), fingerprints and CLEO sign-off for the "responsible party" on the trust.

Do you have some inside info that the BATF is going to do this on already pending applications? e-filing goes "pending" the minute you file it. I seriously doubt the BATF is going to mail out 30,000+ letters for pending applications telling people they have to now submit CLEO sign-off docs. That would take them a year.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you have some inside info that the BATF is going to do this on already pending applications? e-filing goes "pending" the minute you file it. I seriously doubt the BATF is going to mail out 30,000+ letters for pending applications telling people they have to now submit CLEO sign-off docs. That would take them a year.
View Quote

Oh, you mean the same ATF with a 9+ month waiting period to get approved, somehow balking at spending more time to mail everyone to update their applications?

Yes, yes, I know, the wait is mostly just getting to the top of the to-do list and the check itself normally takes less than a week...point being, they aren't shy about burning time now, they certainly won't be later.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I want a few more suppressors, but I'll have to wait and see what this CLEO hub-bub does.  I don't mind prints, but a CLEO is not in my cards.
View Quote

The owner of Silencer Shop just happened to call about an unrelated issue and I asked him about the signatures. He said my signature is not required on a Form 4 and they e-sign their signature. He said the citizenship form is not required for a Form 4 and they don't submit one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hope they don't, because I've got a Form 1 on a D.D. that was submitted in July, so I'm in the same boat.
View Quote

You can turn wooden shoes into DDs?

I mean, that's all you Norwegians make, right?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATF/.gov hates the fact that you can get this stuff in the first place, so that makes perfect sense for them to do something like that to make you wait even longer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I honestly don't know - I'm just saying it's a possibility, so don't celebrate yet.  

I hope they don't, because I've got a Form 1 on a D.D. that was submitted in July, so I'm in the same boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly don't know - I'm just saying it's a possibility, so don't celebrate yet.  

What D.D are you getting? 40mm launcher?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ATF/.gov hates the fact that you can get this stuff in the first place, so that makes perfect sense for them to do something like that to make you wait even longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the department heads do, most of the examiners and assistants enjoy the hobby and donot care. I believe one or two are members here as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they do it, then I'll deal with it. IMO the BATF will issue a cut-off date where all applications received after a certain date will have to comply with the new requirements. It is too much work for them to make this retroactive. Government employees tend to be lazy and try to avoid those kind of things.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm debating another suppressor.......what to get hmmm...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#23]
So they cut the 2-3 days off the process by doing it electronically instead of by mail.

Now they just need to work on the other 360 days in the backlog.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#24]
yes, does not take long to file - I did mine in January (ok, first week of February).  That wait is the hard one.  Called them and they were quick to look up my file.  Should be seeing my suppressor again in a few weeks I hope.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Dammit, I need to get a trust setup.

Did you do it yourself, or have a lawyer write it up?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So they cut the 2-3 days off the process by doing it electronically instead of by mail.

View Quote

You also go "pending" the day you e-file. That takes 8 or 9 weeks off the wait.

Bottom-line: I made a phone call and completed the purchase and paperwork process in less than 5 minutes. No driving to the physical location of the suppressor dealer, no waiting for paperwork in the mail from the dealer, and no running to the post office to return the paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could have sworn I saw a post in our own NFA forum where someone had phoned the NFA branch about WHEN they will start asking for "responsible party" fingerprints, etc.

-apparently the person they spoke with thought it would begin with forms filed ON OR AFTER the date of the President's 2 EOs issued a week or two back from the oval office (one EO banning re-import of Garand/US .mil rifles and the other related to "responsible party" ).  

No, I don't have a link, sorry.  Someone could call NFA in W.Va again I guess - but I do not think the implementation date has been officially announced; it was just speculation on the part of a branch worker (nice folks generally).
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Did you do it yourself, or have a lawyer right it up?
View Quote

I had a lawyer do it. I called the lawyer on the phone, gave him some very basic info and gave him my credit card info. It was a 5 minute phone call. I had the Trust in my inbox the next day. Then I printed the Trust and took it to a notary and signed it in his presence and had it notarized. Then I scanned it into a PDF doc for later printing or emailing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bottom-line: I made a phone call and completed the purchase and paperwork process in less than 5 minutes. No driving to the physical location of the suppressor dealer, no waiting for paperwork in the mail from the dealer, and no running to the post office to return the paperwork.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I understand. I think it's an "improvement" or "progress." It's just not something that's going to affect the current rate-limiting factor, which is the pile of apps and the limited number of examiners.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I used the lawyer they recommended, that was easy.  The only thing that held me up is I was trying to purchase while they were getting ready for their grand opening.  There was a couple weeks that they were very busy moving shop (and dealing with a concurrent atf visit, and I think SHOT show to boot).

The real question is should I get a high power suppressor in the works or not.  More into fishing at the moment, but who knows how I will feel a year from now when the paperwork clears...

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ATF doesn't care. Democrats hate that you can get this stuff.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Walk in shop
Point to item
Pay
Leave

That would be the easier way  

/preaching to choir
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Walk in shop

Point to item

Pay

Leave

That would be the easier way  

/preaching to choir

View Quote
No, go to e-commerce site.  Add to basket, pay.  Get delivered to desk in the morning.  That is the easier way.  Oh well.

---

why should we need to leave our mother's basement to get something.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Oh, I understand. I think it's an "improvement" or "progress." It's just not something that's going to affect the current rate-limiting factor, which is the pile of apps and the limited number of examiners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And very soon you will not be able to find any suppressors for sale. Silencer Shop said their business has TRIPLED in the last three weeks with the talk of the BATF raising the tax stamp to $500 and adding CLEO sign-off to Trusts. In another month or so, you might have to wait months for your suppressor to arrive at the store so you can have a serial number to put on your Form 4.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I had a lawyer do it. I called the lawyer on the phone, gave him some very basic info and gave him my credit card info. It was a 5 minute phone call. I had the Trust in my inbox the next day. Then I printed the Trust and took it to a notary and signed it in his presence and had it notarized. Then I scanned it into a PDF doc for later printing or emailing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you do it yourself, or have a lawyer right it up?

Exactly how I did it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Did not realize you still had to wait with the trust. Only thing with the trust is avoiding having the CLEO signature.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Did not realize you still had to wait with the trust. Only thing with the trust is avoiding having the CLEO signature.
View Quote

That is correct. Avoidance of the CLEO is the primary goal, mainly becuase it's not mandatory that the CLEO sign, and he/she can tell you to GTFO. (as mine does)

I'd play ball with getting prints, but requiring a CLEO signature destroys my ability to get further NFA items. AFAIK, the originally suggested deal was to mandate a background check (and prints) for the primary contact, BUT also remove the CLEO requirement. Surprise, surprise, when the text of it came out, they didn't remove the CLEO requirement.

I'm waiting on a SBR Form 1 that was sent in in Jan...
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Oh, you mean the same ATF with a 9+ month waiting period to get approved, somehow balking at spending more time to mail everyone to update their applications?

Yes, yes, I know, the wait is mostly just getting to the top of the to-do list and the check itself normally takes less than a week...point being, they aren't shy about burning time now, they certainly won't be later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ATF's current report, on what the cost of adding CLEO signatures to trusts will be, states that they spend 15 minute per application.

Think about that.

15 fucking minutes.   And you have to wait a year for it.   At $200 per stamp, they are bringing in $800 per hour.

And you have to wait for a year to "come up to the top of the pile."

Something is seriously wrong with that fucking picture.   And we're going to let them make the whole process even more complicated.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Going the Trust route also allows you to e-file, which gives you a "pending" status that day. If you mail in your application, it is running about 8-9 weeks for them to enter your Form into the system to get to pending status. So it appears e-filing saves you 8-9 weeks of wait.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#42]
The reason that it takes so long is that they only have 6 examiners and close to 50,000 applications.
I was at a gun shop yesterday and the guy that makes the suppressors said that the wait is around 9 mos. now.
It took me 6+ to get my stamp back.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Going the Trust route also allows you to e-file, which gives you a "pending" status that day. If you mail in your application, it is running about 8-9 weeks for them to enter your Form into the system to get to pending status. So it appears e-filing saves you 8-9 weeks of wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a spectre II on Friday, emailed my trust on Monday and away it went.  I called Monday afternoon and spoke with Rich and he told me that they can only e-file form 3s, like you I was under the impression that form 4s with trusts were e-filed as well.  I pressed him to be sure and he said that they would print and mail the forms and trust...
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I bought a spectre II on Friday, emailed my trust on Monday and away it went.  I called Monday afternoon and spoke with Rich and he told me that they can only e-file form 3s, like you I was under the impression that form 4s with trusts were e-filed as well.  I pressed him to be sure and he said that they would print and mail the forms and trust...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read your post and emailed Silencer Shop and asked them to confirm they e-filed my Form 4 w/ Trust and they responded:

"Yes, You are being submitted electronically."
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Gun Trust Lawyer sends out email updates on NFA issues. He just sent this about an hour ago as a part of a larger update:

WHAT HAPPENS TO MY
Texas Gun Trust under the new Regulations?

The trust will remain in place. The trust will be viable for holding and even purchasing new items in the future.

However, any purchases made and submitted after the new rules go into effect will be subject to the requirements of the new rules. i.e. fingerprint cards, photograghs and a CLEO signoff for each member of the trust or corporation.

If you do not make future purchases on your Texas Gun Trust, it appears that there will be no requriement to do anything.

PURCHASE OR NOT PURCHASE a Title II item:

"Based on my, and others, reading of the proposed rule. I am recommending that everyone who wants to purchase an item regulated by the national firearms act, do so ASAP and make sure the paperwork is received by the BATFE before the date the new rule goes into effect. This should allow the forms to be processed under the old rules without the need of a CLEO signoff."
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I just purchased a Tirant .45 today...  Will send all off tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Wish their fucking web site worked. You have to enter your email to get pricing, but there's nowhere to enter your email.

What the fuck?

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wish their fucking web site worked. You have to enter your email to get pricing, but there's nowhere to enter your email.

What the fuck?
View Quote

The Silencer Shop web page used to work fine and it is running very slow and flaky now. The owner told me their business has tripled in the last month, so possibly their webserver is overloaded.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#49]
So about these new rules. We go the trust route because for many of us we cannot get CLEO signoff.  Now that such signoff is mandated does that mean CLEOs will be be "shall issue" or do they still have a choice not to sign.  Because to me that is an equal protection issue - feds mandating something that a significant number of citizens cannot get.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

THIS...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS...

Jealous much?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top