Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 8:37:41 AM EDT
Daughter dropped the iPad and cracked the screen.  Seems like a fairly straight forward process for the mechanically inclined from what I've read on the web and seen on YouTube.

Has anyone been through this?

Any digitizer brands you can suggest?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done some Android (Motorola, LG etc) phones and I wouldn't want to touch the inside of an Iphone.

Not sure how that carries over to tablets...

Buy the right tools (drivers, prys, wedges, etc, makes it less likely that you'll break something...)
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy one of the kits to do it online.  They usually come with the needed tools (or they are a cheap add-on) and instructions.

We've replaced countless screens in phones.  No iDevices, however.

But I doubt it's any more difficult.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, ive done 3 of them on my iphone 4s and its a pretty straight forward process. Just watch the youtube video and take it slowly. Get the kit with the tools. Should take you around 2 hours to do. Be very careful you dont lose any screws and remember where each one of them go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The NSA has.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#5]
i think the iPad has heavy duity glue holding it together, and takes a heat gun to get it apart.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i think the iPad has heavy duity glue holding it together, and takes a heat gun to get it apart.
View Quote

It does.  It's a pain but if you take your time it can be done.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Going to do my first one this weekend. my mil allowed my 5yo to take the Ipad2 outside and he dropped it on the patio and busted the screen. Seeing as my son broke it I feel I should have to repair it but I am a little pissed that they let the 5yo take it outside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top