Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 8:13:00 PM EDT
So I finally got around to calling up an getting quotes for my backyard fence.  I've decided I like the look of the white vinyl fence, an the fact it should out last a standard wood fence.  Unless someone knows different about the Vinyl fence.  

They said it would be 196 feet of fence.  An $4792 to have it installed.  Does that sound like a good price?  All 4 quotes from fence places were in the same ball park.  It also includes 2 four foot gates and one 10 foot gate.

It comes out to $24 a foot installed.  Sound like a decent price in central Florida?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If it were me, I would go with real wood...
But I feel your pain if your in Florida....lots of moisture...
Cedar perhaps?

The thing I don't like about vinyl is that it can start to look dingy over time and never quite duplicates the look of real wood.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Vinyl? God no.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

No vinyl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to live in Lakeland, FL. We had a very nice looking vinyl fence by Danielle, which came with the house.

It didn't last 7 minutes of Hurricane Charlie, and Hurricane Jeanne finished it off with sustained winds over 80mph for 18hrs.

Make sure the fenceposts are filled with concrete or PT lumber. My Danielle fenceposts were hollow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I take it you mean PVC.
PVC is awesome.
Fence companies carry stuff that is much higher quality than Home Depot.
Ask the companies if the top & bottom "rails" that run between the posts are going to have an aluminum insert - the one giving you aluminum is the one you want as it is much stronger.  

(I don't do fences but my friend does & he just did all my fences/gates/deck railings.)
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
My PVC fence is a fucking joke. My Aussie jumps against it and it sways like a bitch.

The one's with aluminum sleeves and supports are apparently much better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't do fence much, but when I do it's  wood, stay thirsty my friend.

Yeah 3000
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Vinyl = zero maintenance. Or buy a pressure washer.

Wood = paint/stain, paint/stain, paint/stain as long as you own it... Or give a fuck what it looks like.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My brother had one installed here in SoCA about three years ago. I would say the linear footage was about the same as yours, with the two gates. Price was comparable IIRC. Guys did it in a day and a half, would have taken a day but it was really fucking hot and they the sun was wearing on them. Held up well and no maintenance except an occasional wash down.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I finally got around to calling up an getting quotes for my backyard fence.  I've decided I like the look of the white vinyl fence, an the fact it should out last a standard wood fence.  Unless someone knows different about the Vinyl fence.  

They said it would be 196 feet of fence.  An $4792 to have it installed.  Does that sound like a good price?  All 4 quotes from fence places were in the same ball park.  It also includes 2 four foot gates and one 10 foot gate.

It comes out to $24 a foot installed.  Sound like a decent price in central Florida?  
View Quote

I have one, it is garbage.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Friends don't let friends install PVC fencing or laminate flooring.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Do those same friends show up and help when it's time to repaint or restain that fence every 3-4 years?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#13]
You can get some vinyl fence that can look like whatever you want it to look like.

http://www.summitfencesupply.com/stone-look-fence/
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#14]
The house I just moved out of had white vinal fences around it. It was awful. Every noreaster we got at least 3-4 sections would break the plastic clips that attached them to the posts. The north facing sides were constantly turning green from mildew. It was a very cheap and ugly fence. Do not FO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#15]
no vinyl sucks. It has not quite gotten to the durability of wood yet. Price is very high. fencing is pretty brain dead stuff do it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah it's PVC/vinyl stuff.  They are cemented in to 36" and the main posts have aluminum inserts.  Wood in florida looks like crap unless you stain about every two years and even then they are rotten in 8 years.

This stuff is better than the fence you buy at Home Depot.  It's a commercial grade heavier duty stuff.  Just wanted to see what others experience with it was.  I really like the clean white look of the fence.  They said just wash it down every year with soap and a brush to keep it sparkly white and clean looking if it's looking dirty.  Which is way easier than painting/staining a fence.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If it were me, I would go with real wood...

But I feel your pain if your in Florida....lots of moisture...

Cedar perhaps?

The thing I don't like about vinyl is that it can start to look dingy over time and never quite duplicates the look of real wood.

View Quote

Isn't there sagging/warping issues with vinyl as well? Especially in a nice hot place like FL?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, it's worth it.

I have a pool fence that's tall Colonial posts with the smooth vertical-ridge panels between them, not the faux woodgrain that gets dirty. It doesn't try to look like wood. It's brilliant white in the sun and can be pressure washed, doesn't ice crack or rot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Vinyl fences blow apart in hurricanes..just so you know..they pretty much snap back together after with broken pieces here and there but before you're sure you want PVC
look at an aluminum privacy fence with adjustable slats.The price is the same ballpark but fence is  a lot better if you get slammed by storms.Neighbor got a metal adjustable fence
for half of my what my PVC fence cost..its a FAR more solid piece.The middle sections are removable letting the wind pass right through it if you know a storm is coming.

This is similar to my neighbors all anodized ALUMINUM FENCE

It really is a better design even though not maybe as aesthetically appealing as the PVC ones
well the plastic fences don't look too good when they are all blown apart and laying on the ground
Cat 4's will do that though!.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I like my house's PVC fence. Looks good on both sides.  Wood fences only look good on one side.  The PVC fences are the same on both sides, so it's atheistically pleasing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#21]
The main problem with vinyl fence is that it is flimsy.  Especially where the panels join to the post.  The fasteners that come with the product are a joke.

And it takes someone who actually knows how to install correctly.  

But they look nice when new.   My concern is how well they will hold up to the summer sun in the south.  Especially in FLA.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I owned a fence contracting company for 5 years.

The fence you buy from Lowes/Home Depot is shit.

If you are dead set on getting pvc(white vinyl), google "fence supply companies" in your area and ask them for recommended installers.

Personally I'd go with a pressure treated dog eared pine privacy fence.

Either one you choose is going to act as a big sail when high winds come through.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Wood = staining/treating on a regular basis and it will still turn to shit.
Vinyl/PVC = longer lasting and easy cleaning.  DO NOT BUY FROM BLOWES/HOME CHEAPO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#24]
fiberfence if you can get it near you.

it looks like it will be twice as much however for an 8 foot fence.

but they generally drive with a sample on the trailer hitch to show how durable it is.

the guy that brough it by showed where it has blown down the fence, but the fence was completly intact.
the metal poles had bent over.

a 15 year old tree fell on ours.
just popped a few rivits. took them all of 20 min to fix.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm getting it professionally installed for that $4700 price point including the 3 gates.

They are made to break at the post insert points if the winds are that bad.  Then just call them up and they can be reinsert them after a hurricane if they blew out the center sections, the posts are sunk in 36 inches in cement so they are going anywhere.  They are rated to a cat 3 so it's as good as an wood fence wood stand up to.  If a cat 3 hit here then I'm not really giving a crap about the fence at that point anyways.  I jumped on the display one they had up and hung on it with my #240lb self and it stayed intact so that's pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

If properly installed I believe these will last just as good as a wood fence in a hurricane.  Best part... No staining them every year, no warping, an they stay nice bright white.  They have a lifetime warranty on the craftsmanship too.  No wood fence has a warranty that good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Vinyl fences blow apart in hurricanes..just so you know..they pretty much snap back together after with broken pieces here and there but before you're sure you want PVC

look at an aluminum privacy fence with adjustable slats.The price is the same ballpark but fence is  a lot better if you get slammed by storms.Neighbor got a metal adjustable fence

for half of my what my PVC fence cost..its a FAR more solid piece.The middle sections are removable letting the wind pass right through it if you know a storm is coming.

http://www.fencescontractor.com/images/stories/Foto/vsig_images/02%20Metal_485_363_90.jpg

This is similar to my neighbors all anodized ALUMINUM FENCE

It really is a better design even though not maybe as aesthetically appealing as the PVC ones

well the plastic fences don't look too good when they are all blown apart and laying on the ground

Cat 4's will do that though!.
View Quote
Never seen a aluminum fence like that before.  No one around here sells anything like that, at least I haven't seen one anyways.  But I have to imagine it's more expensive than PVC fence.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#27]

In the panhandle, a wood fence goes for about $100 installed per 8-foot segment.  That's about half of what you're paying.

I don't know what they do in your part of FL, but around here, the wood fences aren't stained and are allowed to gray with age.  I like that look.

The vinyl/PVC fences look nice, but you will have to have them pressure washed every now and then.  Not a big deal.

....and despite what anyone will tell you - there aren't any fences that will survive a hurricane.  I've been through two Cat IIIs and they snap 4x4 fence posts like they were pencils.

Edit:  I haven't seen any of the fence types in the post above mine - so I can't speak for their durability.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#28]
say no.  go to lumber yard.  Tell millwright what you want.  Build it yourself in two weekends.  Mail the remaining 3 thousand dollars to me.  Profit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#29]
As long as you get com'l grade vinyl/PVC, you'll be OK.  I installed mine myself (I've built a few houses for myself).  It's 10 yrs old and looks like new.  The bottom horizontal rail has an alum or steel insert to keep it from sagging.  I just sold that house, and the new owner is tickled with it.

We don't have hurricanes in OK, but we have tornado's.  Next door neighbor had a trampoline.  F2 tornado came thru 1/2 mile south of me.  Their trampoline was up against my fence, then over my fence into my son's wooden play fort.  Fence is intact, trampoline is a wadded up mess of alum tubing.

I'd do it again without hesitation.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Do those same friends show up and help when it's time to repaint or restain that fence every 3-4 years?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If your friends are Mexican... yes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Never seen a aluminum fence like that before. No one around here sells anything like that, at least I haven't seen one anyways. But I have to imagine it's more expensive than PVC
fence.
View Quote

No its actually supposed to be about half of what  the PVC that I have cost. I wouldn't get a vinyl fence again not where I'm at. After rebuilding it like 3 times or so now due to storms etc.  IMHO.being able to let the wind go "through it" by opening it up or unscrewing the removable slat panels on a heavy reinforced metal fence is better then sitting there watching whole sections of PVC blow out  and the plastic panels sailing off seemingly into the stratosphere LOL!

Good luck with your fence whichever you decide on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top