Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2013 6:15:10 PM EDT
I was coming home from work down a fairly busy two lane highway at speed of 55-60 and as I was approaching a 4 way intersection of a county road that has stop signs on each side for them I notice a little honda is approaching from that road fast and wasn't going to stop, hell he only slowed down enough to barely make the 90 degree turn across my lane and he wasn't even looking at traffic and I wasn't certain I could get my 4Runner stopped in time and just locked it up, held on and hoped for the best. I was lined up directly on his door and it was going to be straight up T-bone on the driver door.

I barely missed him and didn't even have time to hit the horn, and he didn't even look at me but I saw him plain as day. It was almost as if he didn't even know he was maybe 1/2 or less second away from death. That or he knew he really F'ed up and wouldn't face up. He had turned to go the opposite direction (and went way wide btw) as me and when I looked in the mirror at his plates I realized they were party plates (In Ohio these are yellow plates with red letters that signify prior DUI conviction and can be pulled over by LEOs without any other reason and are also pretty rare). I couldn't read the plate by then and I seriously wanted to call the LEOs in the town he was headed towards but I didn't know if that would have been enough info for them. But after I thought about it (probably too late), I realized it's exactly what I should have done. They can pull that car over whenever they want. Then I was pissed at myself for not thinking about it sooner.

I personally think the youngish guy was drunk and am certain he's not long for this world driving like that. I just hope he doesn't kill or injure somebody else in the process.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't his death on your mind for the rest of your days anyway, some day a tree will handle it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I call 911 and follow drunks so they are stopped.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm...Party Plates ...Perhaps Texas needs to take this approach to help with the stunning amount of DWI wrecks/fatalities.
Glad everything worked out in your case.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck drunk drivers with a broken bottle in the ass.  

I have followed and called for marked units for a traffic stop before.  I have been known to wait until they stop at an intersection, conduct a vehicle stop, pull their keys from the ignition, and throw them towards a river or dumpster if the shitty town wouldn't send someone out right away.  Sometimes the keys went into the dumpster, usually they were just near it.  As for the river, yes that guys keys probably went into the river, and I couldn't have cared less at the time.
-SleeperShooter

ETA:  For my lack of clarification, I only did that if I was driving an unmarked unit and couldn't wait for whatever (legit and more pressing) reason.  And yes, it ain't that hard to tell of someone is blitzed drunk by their driving... and when they smell of booze when you approach the car... and after they bounced off a curb or two.   My bad for not clarifying my previous comment earlier.  This also happened in the early 2000's when you could get away with more than you can now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I follow and call for a traffic stop. I have been known to wait until they stop at an intersection, pull their keys from the ignition, and throw them into a river or dumpster if the shitty town wouldn't send someone out.  
-SleeperShooter
View Quote

wtf.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a guy turn his motorcycle right into my lane today without even a glance from him.  I drove off onto the shoulder.
Scared the $hit out of me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
How long do they have to display the "party plates" after conviction there?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Whiskey bottles.
Brand new cars.
Oak tree you're in my way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I follow and call for a traffic stop. I have been known to wait until they stop at an intersection, pull their keys from the ignition, and throw them into a river or dumpster if the shitty town wouldn't send someone out.

-SleeperShooter
View Quote

That's exactly what I should have done. And that's why I'm pissed at myself for not doing it. I think I was just kinda freaked out for a couple minutes and when I realized I should have turned around and followed him (we were going opposite directions and he was hammer down), I felt like it might have been too late. The sad thing is that I work with a lot of the LEOs from that town and could have called any of them personally so as not to make it a 911 call.

But I am going to make it known to them tomorrow. And I am pretty confident it is a local guy and I definately have a good read on both the car and the guy. They won't need the plate numbers because there won't be two of them matching locally I'm almost certain. If he's driving drunk even after being issued party plates, chances are he's doing it every time he drives. He won't get a second chance on those plates.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I should have done. And that's why I'm pissed at myself for not doing it. I think I was just kinda freaked out for a couple minutes and when I realized I should have turned around and followed him (we were going opposite directions and he was hammer down), I felt like it might have been too late. The sad thing is that I work with a lot of the LEOs from that town and could have called any of them personally so as not to make it a 911 call.

But I am going to make it known to them tomorrow. And I am pretty confident it is a local guy and I definately have a good read on both the car and the guy. They won't need the plate numbers because there won't be two of them matching locally I'm almost certain. If he's driving drunk even after being issued party plates, chances are he's doing it every time he drives. He won't get a second chance on those plates.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-SleeperShooter

So both of you, not being LEO's, will get out of your car at an intersection, open the door, reach in for the keys, pull them out and toss them? Based on what? You THINK they're drunk?

About halfway through that process of taking their keys (since it appears to be carjacking), any individual in that car would be 100% completely justified in ventilating your won't-mind-your-own-goddamn-business ass.

Enforcing the law is not your job. You lack the training, equipment, knowledge of the law, and (obviously) the common fucking sense it takes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So both of you, not being LEO's, will get out of your car at an intersection, open the door, reach in for the keys, pull them out and toss them? Based on what? You THINK they're drunk?

About halfway through that process of taking their keys (since it appears to be carjacking), any individual in that car would be 100% completely justified in ventilating your won't-mind-your-own-goddamn-business ass.

Enforcing the law is not your job. You lack the training, equipment, knowledge of the law, and (obviously) the common fucking sense it takes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-SleeperShooter

Actually I wouldn't have gone that far (approaching him or taking his keys), but following him yes and dialing police while doing so yes. That is what I feel like I should have done anyway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the idea of "Party plates", we should adopt that here in Michigan.

I know at one time, they were talking of making a special plate for registered sex offenders, but the liberals here in Michigan (and there are a lot of them) were up in arms over it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How long do they have to display the "party plates" after conviction there?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I'm not really sure but I think it depends on their judge. From what I do know, they are generally only issued to first time time offenders that weren't caught in a drastic way (didn't hurt anyone or were combative) so that they can still go back and forth to work. Other than that, they have quite limited priveledges though. IOW, you can't just go out driving around with them without a specific (and judge approved) reason.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, 1/10
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Meh, 1/10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, 1/10

Nobody should be reaching into a running car to remove the keys.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I follow and call for a traffic stop.  I have been known to wait until they stop at an intersection, pull their keys from the ignition, and throw them into a river or dumpster if the shitty town wouldn't send someone out.  
-SleeperShooter
View Quote

I've done this. A buddy of mine and myself followed a honda civic running on three tires all the way untill she hit a curb and got hung up on a median, she was still trying to accelerate and burning the clutch up. I hopped out and ran up to the bitches car, ripped the door open and snagged the keys before she knew what was going on. She started to yell and then two of three kids in the back started to cry. This happened on Halloween four years ago, the youngest girl around two was dressed as a pumpkin, the 4 yr old little girl was dressed as a princess and the oldest a 7 yr old boy was dressed as batman. The little guy dressed as batman obviously didn't care that his mom was drunk, seeing as the PSP that he was playing was glued to his hand as I pulled him as we'll as his sisters and put them into my friends truck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Am I in before the drunk driving apologists?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-SleeperShooter

I was walking to 7-11 one night in a college town and approached a car that had been idling at a stop sign for about 5 minutes.  I walked past and saw the driver hanging out of the window half asleep, vomit streaked down the door.  He groggily looked up and slurred "Where da party at, bitches?" with a grin on his face.  No joke.  I walked off and called the cops, but I wish now that I would have taken his keys, regardless of danger.  Somebody that fucked up is just as likely to fall asleep in the street as he is to ram his car into a little kid's bedroom.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a guy turn his motorcycle right into my lane today without even a glance from him.  I drove off onto the shoulder.
Scared the $hit out of me.
View Quote

I had two oncoming pickups cross into my lane today when I was on my motorcycle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#22]

who's trolling and for what?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck drunk drivers with a splintered 2x4 wrapped in rusty barbed wire.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The tough guy talk about snatching drunk's keys out of the ignition and playing Batman.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The tough guy talk about snatching drunk's keys out of the ignition and playing Batman.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying I should have never even acknowledged her and let her further endanger her kids lives.

Typical GD
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Am I in before the drunk driving apologists?
View Quote

Nope.  And I ETA'd my previous post for clarification.  
Between the having a few beers here at the house, BBQ grill, and some friends over, I short posted.  Oh well, shit happens.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, do you now?  How many have you got so far?

How often are you seeing these "drunks?"  I have MAYBE seen 2 drunk drivers in my entire life.  And that's a big MAYBE.  Thing is, both instances that I can think of, had a car full of kids.  They very well could have been fooling around, not being piloted by an impaired driver.

I have serious doubts that you are regularly finding enough drunks to mention it as if it's some hobby of yours.

BTW.....you aren't supposed to call 911 for suspected DUI.  They have a hotline for that.  You're wasting emergency resources on your witch hunts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How often are you seeing these "drunks?"  I have MAYBE seen 2 drunk drivers in my entire life.  And that's a big MAYBE.  Thing is, both instances that I can think of, had a car full of kids.  They very well could have been fooling around, not being piloted by an impaired driver.

I have serious doubts that you are regularly finding enough drunks to mention it as if it's some hobby of yours.

BTW.....you aren't supposed to call 911 for suspected DUI.  They have a hotline for that.  You're wasting emergency resources on your witch hunts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm, guess it just depends on where you're at.  I've had four friends killed by drunk drivers (in three separate crashes) so I have no problem following them and getting them stopped.  And if there's a driver causing a dangerous hazard to others while on the road, yes you are supposed to call 911.  Some places have the *Whatever number, but 911 works just as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm now realizing I'm totally out of my league here. I have only seen a couple obviously drunk drivers in my lifetime as well.

Now I'm learning that this forum is full of superheroes who are out there day and night, snatching keys out of ignitions and bringing evildoers to justice.

I am eternally grateful for these guys who are so much braver and intuitive than I am.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]
First time I went to Nevada, in ~1985, I stopped for gas near the state line and there was gambling and drinking in the gas station at 4:00 am.  A dude in the parking lot was passed out at the wheel and his car rolled at an idle into a steep ditch.  I thought to myself, "this place is great!"
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, I see people drive like that every friday night in the middle of Columbus on my way to work.  I never can figure out which ones are drunk and which are simply lost or are terrible drivers.  Maybe it's an Ohio thing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP, I see people drive like that every friday night in the middle of Columbus on my way to work.  I never can figure out which ones are drunk and which are simply lost or are terrible drivers.  Maybe it's an Ohio thing.
View Quote

Ohio has the third worst drivers, after New Jersey and California.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:13:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:00:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Whiskey bottles.
Brand new cars.
Oak tree you're in my way.
View Quote

Oak tree act's like a Badger,
Doesn't give a fvck.
Poor poor broken whiskey bottle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:35:05 AM EDT
[#35]
where's a DUI check point when you need one?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I was coming home from work down a fairly busy two lane highway at speed of 55-60 and as I was approaching a 4 way intersection of a county road that has stop signs on each side for them I notice a little honda is approaching from that road fast and wasn't going to stop, hell he only slowed down enough to barely make the 90 degree turn across my lane and he wasn't even looking at traffic and I wasn't certain I could get my 4Runner stopped in time and just locked it up, held on and hoped for the best. I was lined up directly on his door and it was going to be straight up T-bone on the driver door.

View Quote

This makes no sense.  You were approaching a 4-way stop, noticed another car that wasn't going to stop for the 4-way stop sign, yet you locked up your brakes as you approached the 4-way stop sign?

What is a '90 degree turn'?  Was he coming down the road that was perpendicular to yours, and you thought he wasn't going slow enough to make a turn as he blew through the 4-way stop?  Or are you simply referring to the fact that he was traveling at a 90-degree angle to you as you both approached the 4-way stop - him blowing through it, and you locking up your brakes as you approached it?

What am I missing here?

MS Paint needed?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would toss NYC drivers up in there too, otherwise I could believe it completely.  I'd love to get out of this state.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top