Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2013 5:02:35 PM EDT
Can someone for the love of god please answer me on putting larger tires on the same wheels. I have custom 18" on my dodge ram. Current tire size is 285/60r18. I want larger tires. I understand what the measurements stand for, just not sure which measurements are ok to increase. Just the "60" or height?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Do they make a 285/75/18 or 285/80/18? Are you looking for taller, wider, or both?

The first number is width. Second is sidewall height (75% of 285mm). Third is rim size.

Increasing the first number is width. So look into a 305 or 315 for width increase.

Increasing the width to a 315, but leaving the height at 60, will still result in a taller tire (60% of 315mm).

Go taller and loose fuel mileage. There is no way around that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That's one area where the American way of measuring is easier

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do they make a 285/75/18 or 285/80/18? Are you looking for taller, wider, or both?

The first number is width. Second is sidewall height (75% of 285mm). Third is rim size.

Increasing the first number is width. So look into a 305 or 315 for width increase.

Increasing the width to a 315, but leaving the height at 60, will still result in a taller tire (60% of 315mm).

View Quote

Not concerned with loss of mileage. I certainly want taller, wider is a plus(just not sure if possible on the same wheels??)
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not concerned with loss of mileage. I certainly want taller, wider is a plus(just not sure if possible on the same wheels??)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What width wheel do you have? And on what truck (year, make, model)?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not necessarily true. This depends on the kind of driving he's doing and his gearing.
Taller tires are advantageous if one is doing a lot of highway miles, but it hinders acceleration and increases fuel consumption in stop and go driving.

Everything else you said is spot on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The 60 is the height, it means that your sidewall is 60% of your treadwidth. A higher ratio sidewall will give you a taller tire, a wider treadwidth with the same ratio sidewall will give you a wider and taller tire. A wider tire with a smaller ratio sidewall will give you a wider tire of the same or smaller height as what you have now.

View Quote

This is the correct answer.

Also, changing the overall height of your tires will make your speedometer read slower than your actual speed. sometimes this can be reprogrammed by the car dealer with their scan tool.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

285/60R18

2004 Dodge ram 1500 5.7 v8 4wd
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also, changing the overall height of your tires will make your speedometer read slower than your actual speed. sometimes this can be reprogrammed by the car dealer with their scan tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The 60 is the height, it means that your sidewall is 60% of your treadwidth. A higher ratio sidewall will give you a taller tire, a wider treadwidth with the same ratio sidewall will give you a wider and taller tire. A wider tire with a smaller ratio sidewall will give you a wider tire of the same or smaller height as what you have now.

I understand the 60 being the height, but can I increase that and not the width? Can I even increase the width at all while using the same wheels?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Easy peasy formula.

Section width x aspect ratio ÷ 1270 + wheel diameter = tire diameter in inches.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I understand the 60 being the height, but can I increase that and not the width? Can I even increase the width at all while using the same wheels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you can go wider (as long as you have an 8" width). But with an oddball 18" rim, you are very limited. Not a lot of options compaired to a 16, 17, or 20". A 285/75/18 would be an inch taller, but not wider.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wider is always possible on the same wheel within reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top