Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2013 9:59:44 AM EDT
I've got a bad case of Patellar Tendonitus in both knees. Anyone know any cures other than the obvious stop running?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got a bad case of Patellar Tendonitus in both knees. Anyone know any cures other than the obvious stop running?
View Quote

I have heard of walking up and down sand dunes helps quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Stop running
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Knee straps.  They look , but they work great.  You can buy these at Sports Authority.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Bicycle Riding helps. I cant run anymore, I do this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Ride a bike.

Guy at work had it. Hurts like hell I guess.
He started riding a bike and it all went away.
On the plus side he also gets to see a whole lot more country than he did before.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to a good running store. (if they don't have a tread mill, it's not a running store).

Have them watch you run and they will be able to see how you pronate. Different shoes are posted differently. If you have the wrong shoe for your mechanics it will exacerbate runner's knee.

Get on a regular schedule of ibuprofen for several days, according to directions or your doctor. This will get the inflammation down, allow healing and get you going again.

I.C.E. after each run. ice compression elevation. Also make sure to stretch after the run.

Decrease your distance and build back up. Particularly if you're much over weight.

Pay attention to your form. Don't bob up and down. Don't pound the ground. There are plenty of good books to smooth out your technique.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Knee replacement.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Stop running

Ice the knees

Knee strengthening
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What brand and how well do you stomach it? Most fish oil gives me pretty rough indigestion if I'm not careful when I take it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much fish oil are you taking?

I started taking 2 tsp of liquid fish oil a day = 7410mg total omega 3 (4408mg EPA, 1980mg DHA) and it has helped a lot with joint pain including my quadriceps tendonitis.

What brand and how well do you stomach it? Most fish oil gives me pretty rough indigestion if I'm not careful when I take it.

Get the stuff made from salmon oil, not the crap made from scraping sludge off of rocks.

Probably the best bang for your buck, COSTCO usually has it even cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Alaska-Omega-3-Softgels-180-Count/dp/B0024LWRIQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Take a running class. Im serious
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Get the stuff made from salmon oil, not the crap made from scraping sludge off of rocks.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Alaska-Omega-3-Softgels-180-Count/dp/B0024LWRIQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much fish oil are you taking?

I started taking 2 tsp of liquid fish oil a day = 7410mg total omega 3 (4408mg EPA, 1980mg DHA) and it has helped a lot with joint pain including my quadriceps tendonitis.

I can't handle fish oil either for some reason, even salmon.... fishy burps suck.

I use enteric coated softgels.  They are a little more expensive, but totally worth it.  They don't break down until the reach your intestine, so no gastro upset. Just be aware that there are a ton of different strengths out there, along with varying levels of EPA/DHA.  I use Fisol 70% enteric:

As for the knee issue, I had ACL repair many years ago, and they took part of my patellar tendon to fix it. After realizing the knee could not handle running, I bike 3x week and VERY brisk walk 2x week (3 days off in between) - as fast as I can handle without throwing out a hip.  My knees are slowly getting used to the impact from the hard walking, and I'm able to jog now without runner's knee, as long as I don't push it. Eventually I am hoping I can get my body used to the impact, and I can run extended distance, but it is sloooooow going.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#15]
My left knee bothers me quite a bit. I've laid off the running for almost a year but it really hasn't helped...as far as running goes. If I try to do short runs or chase someone at work, my knee will ache for a few days. I just picked up an elastic band a few days ago, put it on and went for a short run....pain.....maybe not as much but still hurt. Think I'm going to have to get a bike.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Fish oil.

Stop running heel to toe.

Ice, ibuprofen.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Knee straps.  They look , but they work great.  You can buy these at Sports Authority.
View Quote

Yeah, these:  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top