Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2013 8:10:55 AM EDT
Ok rhetorical Q. We all know they work, how they work, blah, blah, blah.

Ran across this story. 67 chevy nova broadsided by a new VW bug. Click the photo to see some pics of the carnage.

Linky

VW for the win and another classic bites the dust.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
That Nova was probably half rust.

Still, maybe don't street race and this kind of shit won't happen to you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#2]
In before the Malibu crash test video...
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
67 Nova is a classic.VW is a pile of shit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the weaker sections of the Chevy was introduced to one of the more sturdily designed and built sections of the VW with an outcome that might be expected.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually the VW turned the 67 Nova into a pile of shit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Crumple zones are the automotive equivalent to egg crates

They absorb impact and get destroyed.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Crumple zones are the automotive equivalent to egg crates
They absorb impact and get destroyed.

Speed
View Quote

I've seen photos from early passenger cars that had been in fatal wrecks. Almost no damage to the car, certainly no structural damage... but the inside looked like a blender.

Some things you don't want too sturdy.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Those pics disagree with your opinion

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#11]
A little Bondo and that Nova will be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Wow, I had not seen that before
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Every time I hear some, "good ole boy," talking about, "herr derr plastic, herr derr don't build em like they used to," I laugh my balls off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Holy crap - that VW raped the Nova.  

I'd love to see the VW from the front, but it looks like the cabin is intact, and the Nova was almost torn in half.
View Quote

Well, to be fair, the Nova took on a Camry and the VW.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Every time I hear some, "good ole boy," talking about, "herr derr plastic, herr derr don't build em like they used to," I laugh my balls off.
View Quote

Agreed.  There is certainly a time and place for praising the old ways, and condemning new practices, but holy fucking shit grandpa, automotive safety is not it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Crumple zones work! But as the OP probably knows, how each is hit, speed make a bunch of difference. It doesn't always turn out this way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Agreed.  There is certainly a time and place for praising the old ways, and condemning new practices, but holy fucking shit grandpa, automotive safety is not it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much. My grandparents survived a head on collision at 60MPH with a GMC 3500 with minimal injuries. The car was screwed but they are alive.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Crumple zones work! But as the OP probably knows, how each is hit, speed make a bunch of difference. It doesn't always turn out this way.
View Quote

Old car vs New car, the new car wins pretty much every time, if you define winning by living through the accident, and not through if you need another car or not. Nova's were never known for their sturdiness, even when they were new, being a light weight car during a time where a 4k lb car was the norm.

Light weight with no modern safety equipment = what you see in the pictures.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I lived with a carburated old car in a cold climate, you can shove your classic cars where political ideas come from.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#21]
An awful lot of Arfcom think that you're next of kin driving your vehicle away from a crash site after EMTs have sponged you out of it is preferable to slapping on a couple of band-aids and buying a new car.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That Nova was probably half rust.

Still, maybe don't street race and this kind of shit won't happen to you.
View Quote
Or, big chunks of steel were cut out of it for various stereo and lighting projects.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy crap - that VW raped the Nova.  

I'd love to see the VW from the front, but it looks like the cabin is intact, and the Nova was almost torn in half.

I dunno, last time it was the US vs. Japan and Germany the outcome was different.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#24]
In the Nova's defense it DID take 2 hits.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#25]
So the VW just flies into an intersection where an accident just occurred and he is the "victim"?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#26]
More important than age of the vehicles is the mass and speed involved. If I had to get T boned by a '75 Suburban at an intersection I can promise you I'd rather be in a new Escalade than a new Beetle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the direction safety has gone, to bad the style of the new cars sucks ass compared to the old ones.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I lived with a carburated old car in a cold climate, you can shove your classic cars where political ideas come from.
View Quote

I grew up with Carburated cars in Nome Alaska, I still say that 76 F-250 4 door, 4 speed, 4 wheel drive was one of my favorite rigs ever.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd drive a classic every day if I could. We all assume risks whenever we get into any vehicle, some are safer than others. I have no wife or children to leave behind either, that may adjust my attitude some day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#30]
back to the future 2

doc just ram biff

?? MARTY HE'S IN A '48 PLYMOUTH WERE IN A DELOREAN HE'D GO THRU US LIKE TIN FOIL.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top