Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 11:37:01 AM EDT

In the last week or so, it seems as if 3 out of every 4 videos on YouTube are not playable on my iPad.  Anybody else notice this?

B
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. It's annoying.

I'm hoping when I get rid of this IPhone 4S and get a samsung note 3 I won't have as many issues.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've often wondered why someone would check the "don't make available on mobile" box when uploading vids.

(actually I wonder why that exists to begin with)
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Same on my nexus 7
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've often wondered why someone would check the "don't make available on mobile" box when uploading vids.

View Quote

Because people are fucking stupid.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't use the youtube app, open it in the browser instead that way it does not know you are on a mobile device. Works for me on my ASUS tablet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this due to the issue of iOS not running flash? That has been my understanding. But I'm not technical though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is this due to the issue of iOS not running flash? That has been my understanding. But I'm not technical though.
View Quote

My Motorola Droid phone does the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In the last week or so, it seems as if 3 out of every 4 videos on YouTube are not playable on my iPad.  Anybody else notice this?

B
View Quote

If you want to see it on your Ipad that badly, download the file and encode it with Handbrake.  It has settings for Ipods/Ipads and everything else.

Handbrake
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a video that force-checked that, no other option
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes. It's annoying.  

I'm hoping when I get rid of this IPhone 4S and get a samsung note 3 I won't have as many issues.

View Quote

It has nothing to do with the device, flash, etc.  It has everything to do with copyright and use laws on youtube.  When you upload a video, youtube scans the video for the music used in the video.  If you're using a song that youtube recognizes as copyright protected, that ARTIST has the "right" to limit the type of media his/her song is played on, largely this is done on mobile devices across the board.  

Dont blame apple, or samsung. blame youtube and music "artists" that don't want you using their shit in the car or while working out in the gym, because they want you to buy their mp3 or CD instead.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Don't use the youtube app, open it in the browser instead that way it does not know you are on a mobile device. Works for me on my ASUS tablet.
View Quote

That's how I view youtube on my ipads and have never had the issue.  

But I'm not spending hours on youtube a day.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top