BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why don't you call Olivia for a job interview ?  She has pawn shop experience, but needs a new job.

http://amradaronline.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/olivia-black-fired-pawn-stars.png?w=236&h=236&crop=1

(Fired by History channel producers after they saw her suicide girl pics)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New store, can't find/hire any decent help so here I am on a Sunday. Yesterday was the start of the archery deer season, guess where all my help is...

Why don't you call Olivia for a job interview ?  She has pawn shop experience, but needs a new job.

http://amradaronline.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/olivia-black-fired-pawn-stars.png?w=236&h=236&crop=1

(Fired by History channel producers after they saw her suicide girl pics)

Hired! Or should I say NOT GUILTY?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just realized OP is in NC.

OP, do you and your employees "tactically" open the building up everyday?
Do you guys go in as a team and clear the shop with weapons drawn in the morning time?
View Quote

No, I have been asked that several times though. I assume its got to do with a show?

While typing I vaguely recall combat pawn(?) the guys in Fayetnam. I've never seen the show, I typically don't watch the pawn shows as I get enough of it at work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Then you're somewhere around me. Got anything good?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Close to a military base?

Several

Then you're somewhere around me. Got anything good?

Currently a SIG freedom 1911 and a FNX 45 T in tan that I've been drooling over (but I'm a FNH fanboy)

Several PS90s and a Colt 1911 in 38 Super (just got it at another store, no details yet)
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you lift bro?
View Quote

The week before UTA/drill I work out
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Isn't a pawnshop the most depressing place in the world around Christmas?
View Quote

No I'd say after Christmas when the FSA is bringing the Xbox that Santa brought Jr in would take the cake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you seperate any spare accessories such as magazines, holsters, pistol rugs, etc. and sell them seperately or do you keep them all togehter and sell as a package?
View Quote

Package and let new owner decide, we will buy back unwanted mags etc
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
New store, can't find/hire any decent help so here I am on a Sunday. Yesterday was the start of the archery deer season, guess where all my help is...

ETA yeah fucking 13er, BUT I had an account years ago through my .mil, new base new email now a 13er
View Quote

Want a new employee? Veteran, retail management experience, don't hunt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's another good question, our default ratio is roughly 73% on NON firearm merchandise and I have around $173k in pawn right now that's not gun related.

$50/k per employee, do you mean in sales or just pawned items? If pawns I would say that's a bit low...in the 60-63 range.

I pay my guys and gals more because of the background checks, drug checks and the threat of being robbed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Around here, it seems that you need $50/k on the street to support the shop, and then another $50/k for every wage earner.

So, $150K on the street would support a small shop with two wage earners.

Do these numbers work for  you?

That's another good question, our default ratio is roughly 73% on NON firearm merchandise and I have around $173k in pawn right now that's not gun related.

$50/k per employee, do you mean in sales or just pawned items? If pawns I would say that's a bit low...in the 60-63 range.

I pay my guys and gals more because of the background checks, drug checks and the threat of being robbed.

HOW much do your employees make?  Shit, if it's 60-63K I may seriously be in the wrong career field.

Depending on where in NC I could relocate.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

HOW much do your employees make?  Shit, if it's 60-63K I may seriously be in the wrong career field.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Around here, it seems that you need $50/k on the street to support the shop, and then another $50/k for every wage earner.

So, $150K on the street would support a small shop with two wage earners.

Do these numbers work for  you?

Sorry if that figure was misleading, 60-63k is what an employee usually does in total business annually. Generally we start out at 10.00 per hour, hourly managers around 15-17 per hour and salaried managers in the low to mid 40s depending on the store and other variables.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you been robbed?

Shoplifted?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Definitely one of the more informative "Ask a guy who ___________ anything" threads.

Sounds like you have a pretty good sized network of shops. Do you guys have a website? Also, do you ever sell anything on Gun Broker?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mandatory...no questions. I also fund NRA classes and other defensive training.

I also sponsor a "zombie" shoot for fun every month and employees shoot for free, not free ammo though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do your guys carry while at work?

I also sponsor a "zombie" shoot for fun every month and employees shoot for free, not free ammo though.

Can I have a job?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone ever offered to blow you for the money they couldn't pay on the pawn this month?

Did he have a banjo?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have you been robbed?

Shoplifted?
View Quote

Personally I kind of have, long story short: For the record we call FSA either zombies or the walking dead... they serve no purpose to the community but for ARF I will use FSA

FSA type: You gonna cash my muthafuckin check

Me: Sir we don't cash checks

FSA: Muthafucker I wasn't Asking IF you were going to cash it, I said you WOULD cash it.

Me: No sir I wont cash your muthafuckin check and you can leave.

FSA: I got something in my muthafuckin pocket that says you will cash it.

At this point my store manager is tracking and so is my PT gun girl, FSA has a small knife in his right pocket.

About the time he utters "pocket" he has a 357 SIG at 12 o'clock eye level, a very nice Ed Brown 1911 @ 3 o'clock eye level and Britt has her 5.7 locked on his knees from his 10 o'clock.

He decided to cash said check elsewhere after stating we were some "bitch ass crackas"  

This was two years ago, I don't consider it robbed but its as close as I want to come.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Definitely one of the more informative "Ask a guy who ___________ anything" threads.

Sounds like you have a pretty good sized network of shops. Do you guys have a website? Also, do you ever sell anything on Gun Broker?
View Quote

I sold a COP 4 barrel on GB once because we paid 700.00 for it. Local market it would have stayed with me forever.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Can I have a job?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do your guys carry while at work?

Can I have a job?

Can I come back to OK? I lived in Perkins while I was training at Sheppard AFB in TX.

If I could drive there in 9 hours or less I would open a store in OK, miss the people.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever offered to blow you for the money they couldn't pay on the pawn this month?

Did he have a banjo?
View Quote

Several offers from the frequent customers, I think its funny and my guys/girls make damn sure I'm aware when they are in the store. They try to embarrass me at any opportunity.

Thank god they have all been female thus far.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No I'd say after Christmas when the FSA is bringing the Xbox that Santa brought Jr in would take the cake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice

In a close but distant second are the guys that buy engagement rings. then pawn them but say that the ring is "being cleaned"

The day after deer season is sad to me as well, when guys bring in their dads or granddads gun that they inherited to pawn knowing they wont be back for them. We give them the stink eye but people will do what they do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#20]
How much you pay your help?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Good thread OP. I can't drive by a pawn shop without stopping.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good thread OP. I can't drive by a pawn shop without stopping.
View Quote

Thanks! I can't believe how calm its' been, I expect just about everything from GD.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn 13er
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn 13er
View Quote

Thank you, I fully expected more abuse thus far
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A guy brought in the ashes of his grandmother.

Gold teeth, or grillz...they still give me the

We had a guy bring in a index finger in a jar of alcohol one time, he said it was from the Iraqi they killed after he tried to set an IED. I wanted to take it on principal but he didn't have supporting proof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the weirdest/creepiest thing someone has tried to pawn?

What is the weirdest/creepiest thing you actually took in?

A guy brought in the ashes of his grandmother.

Gold teeth, or grillz...they still give me the

We had a guy bring in a index finger in a jar of alcohol one time, he said it was from the Iraqi they killed after he tried to set an IED. I wanted to take it on principal but he didn't have supporting proof.

That's so funny you said ashes! At a pawn shop I used to frequent in spring/summer for guns and fall/winter for tools. I witnessed a person come in with an urn of ashes to pawn. The guy said he would not pawn an urn full of ashes. They went outside and DUMPED IT. Then tried to pawn it. The guy threw them out.

The finger is sweet but with no proof its super creepy haha
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ETA yeah fucking 13er, BUT I had an account years ago through my .mil, new base new email now a 13er
View Quote

Where in North Carolina?

ETA: Got a buddy looking for a job near Charlotte.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
In Florida, pawn brokers get to keep and sell stolen property. How's it like in NC?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In Florida, pawn brokers get to keep and sell stolen property. How's it like in NC?
View Quote

I'm going to guess that someone's definition of what constitutes stolen is not the same as what the courts constitute as stolen.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is an informative thread. Thanks!
View Quote

Ya, that's what I was thinking. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Ever had any real old Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, etc. comics come in?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm going to guess that someone's definition of what constitutes stolen is not the same as what the courts constitute as stolen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We keep a log and send it to the local PD and SO every night, if something is stolen then it should be returned. I am in court at least once a month for such mess and we prosecute 100% of the douchebags who bring in stolen stuff.

Legally we may have a claim to it, but would it be moral to resell it?

We have a great relationship with the local LEOs and I play golf with the Chief of Police, our local thieves know we don't play stupid games....but yet they sometimes try.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ever had any real old Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, etc. comics come in?
View Quote

Not that I'm aware of, some of the bigger stores in Baltimore may have but I'm not aware of it.

I have a guy in the Myrtle beach store that is BIG time into comics, he would have told me he wanted dibs if something had come in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Where in North Carolina?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in North Carolina?

Goldsboro, Charlotte is an option though if I can find a reasonably priced store front in a decent part of town.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top