Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2013 6:51:31 PM EDT
So I got T-Boned two weeks ago last Friday. I got my car back from the shop and the car looks like hell. They didn't properly install the trim around the windshield, the gaps on the front fender are all shitty, they didn't balance the wheel they replaced (no wheel weights), the paint was not blended, my hood does not latch correctly and the alignment is way off. These are the most obvious problems. I went with a repair shop that was a preferred shop with my insurance company, but since the accident was 75 miles away from home I really don't want to drive back to the shop and bitch. My wife picked it up and she really didn't notice the issues until she was on the way home.

Because I got hit and injured in the accident I retained a lawyer, a friend of ours. What the hell do I do now.

TLDR; bad accident made worse because my Acura looks like shit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't your insurance company provide some type of guarantee of work done if you use a body shop they suggest?  I would call the insurance company on Monday and explain the situation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I will most likely do that, I wonder if I should just let my attorney take care of this shit. That's why he gets paid
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If it looks that bad on the outside its really fucked under it
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it looks that bad on the outside its really fucked under it
View Quote

My fear too. That's the first concern I had with the alignment. The car was perfect before it got hit. It's literally adding insult to injury.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it....

I got hit 12 years ago....now my paint is flaking.  I'm thinking about calling in on the "lifetime warranty" certificate I got from the insurance companies body shop.  I'm sure they'll laugh when I tell em it was 12 years ago.....but hell.......the factory paint is fine.

Just sayin.....it ain't going to get better on its own.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, wife had a fender bender a few weeks back and the body work was less than steller. the gap between the trunk lid and quarter panel was noticeably bigger than the factory side, and not quite straight. Paint was okay though, and I was tired of messing with it. It's primarily the wife's car and she didn't notice, so I blew it off.

Top shelf body work is hard to find.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
About ten years ago someone backed up into me in a parking lot and buckled my driver's side door.

Got the necessary insurance quotes and then went with the approved repair shop.

Got the car back.  Looked okay, appearance wise.

Then I find out the driver's side window no longer works.

Good luck & have fun with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Wonder if I should have the insurance company take it to the dealership.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
just make a giant noise until you get what you want
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like it's FUBAR. Don't accept it. Call the insurance company and bitch. Have an adjuster look at it. It's their responsibility to have it fixed right or totaled. Problem is it may be unfixable now. Who's insurance, yours or the guy who hit you? What company? If they blow you off, lawyer time.

I've spent some time in a body shop. Bitch to the insurance people and the shit runs downhill to the shop. Adjusters usually are not amused at shoddy work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
My insurance because ass bag that hit me didn't have any.

My wife said that the made it clear with her to go through the shop and not the insurance company if there was a problem. So out of respect to all of us who actually take pride in our work... I am going through our insurance company.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:13:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Since you took it to a shop they said take it to, you should b covered for shitty work. Call your agent, you may have to take it to their local inspector and tell him that your not satisfied with the quality of work on the repair.

YOUR NOT TAKING IT BACK TO THE SHOP THAT FIXED IT. Find out which local shop they recommend and take it there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since you took it to a shop they said take it to, you should b covered for shitty work. Call your agent, you may have to take it to their local inspector and tell him that your not satisfied with the quality of work on the repair.

YOUR NOT TAKING IT BACK TO THE SHOP THAT FIXED IT. Find out which local shop they recommend and take it there.
View Quote

I am fearful to take it to another of their recommended shops. I am wondering if I should make insurance take it to Acura. We all know that the stealership might not be better, but they will at least cost the most.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:27:47 AM EDT
[#14]
what insco?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
what insco?
View Quote

Allstate (my policy)
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So I got T-Boned two weeks ago last Friday. I got my car back from the shop and the car looks like hell. They didn't properly install the trim around the windshield, the gaps on the front fender are all shitty, they didn't balance the wheel they replaced (no wheel weights), the paint was not blended, my hood does not latch correctly and the alignment is way off. These are the most obvious problems. I went with a repair shop that was a preferred shop with my insurance company, but since the accident was 75 miles away from home I really don't want to drive back to the shop and bitch. My wife picked it up and she really didn't notice the issues until she was on the way home.

Because I got hit and injured in the accident I retained a lawyer, a friend of ours. What the hell do I do now.

TLDR; bad accident made worse because my Acura looks like shit.
View Quote

Take it back, point out EVERY deficiency, tell them not to call you until it's fixed 100%.  Be prepared to refuse the car when they call you to pick it up.  Also, call your agent and let them know the shop did a bad job.

ETA: Make sure the PI settlement is more than enough to buy a new car.  Hate to say it but these days a PI settlement is the ONLY way you will be made whole.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I will most likely do that, I wonder if I should just let my attorney take care of this shit. That's why he gets paid
View Quote

keep the attorney informed, but the insurance company should handle it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty pissed with my insurance company right now.  The collision repair center did a mostly good job, but there are some nagging little issues that I've been bugging the insurer to take care of - like a rear light assembly that has condensation in it, indicating that it was cracked during the accident.

They claim I can't prove it, but since they replaced the entire pickup bed assembly, and kept the light clusters.  I say I shouldn't have to prove it, only attest that the leak wasn't there before the accident.

Those bastards have us by the balls, and they know we have no real recourse, other than an attorney.  And who hires an attorney for minor problems?

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
the body shop will fix it right if they are an insurance drp shop.   also sometimes the insurance company will pay to have it redone somewhere else if you insist.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:14:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Pics?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Do it....

I got hit 12 years ago....now my paint is flaking.  I'm thinking about calling in on the "lifetime warranty" certificate I got from the insurance companies body shop.  I'm sure they'll laugh when I tell em it was 12 years ago.....but hell.......the factory paint is fine.

Just sayin.....it ain't going to get better on its own.
View Quote
most shops will honor the warranty on paint. i have fixed cars from almost as long ago.  the paint company generally pays for the sopto redo it because they guarantee their paint to us.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Go back to your insurance company since they recommended the shop.

My wife got hit some years ago. She took it to the body shop of the dealer. The truck was still messed up when she got it back.

I called the owner of the dealership(s) that owned the body shop and told him how bad the work was and how many vehicles we bought from him. He went ballistic and fired the body shop manager.
View Quote

Big this.  I know I have State Farm, and the body shop across the road from my house ironically is the preferred shop.  You get you vehicle back, look over it, and then State Farm sent out a inspector just to check the body shops work.  Did it with my pick up when i had to have the front bumper done, and they have done it with my dad twice with his Equinox.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wonder if I should have the insurance company take it to the dealership.
View Quote

About 20 years ago my mom's Mercedes got t-boned.  We had it towed to a MB dealer, and they quoted the repair just below total salvage.  Then they kept finding new things wrong with it and jacking up the repair bill.  On top of that, they were suppose to replace two wheels, but only one was actually replaced.  The alignment was never right, and there's always a faint exhaust odor inside when driving.  But it did soldier on until 8 years ago when we sold it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pics?
View Quote

It's a black car and my iPhone camera doesn't pick it up well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Having Allstate as your insurance company was your first mistake. Those fucks kept raising and raising my rates for years even with no accidents, claims, or tickets. For two vehicles my insurance went from $85 a month to almost $170 in 5 years before I cancelled (same vehicles mind you). I love how to this day they send me letters saying how they can save me "X" by switching to Allstate. Bunch of clowns!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Having Allstate as your insurance company was your first mistake. Those fucks kept raising and raising my rates for years even with no accidents, claims, or tickets. For two vehicles my insurance went from $85 a month to almost $170 in 5 years before I cancelled (same vehicles mind you). I love how to this day they send me letters saying how they can save me "X" by switching to Allstate. Bunch of clowns!
View Quote

Did the same exact thing to me. Fuck em. Need to find someone for home owners now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I just had my truck repaired/repainted via AutoNation at the dealer I bought the truck from (I read the reviews of the shops my insurance recommended, and they were bad).

My truck looks better than it did before the collision.  

I'd happily go that route again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did the same exact thing to me. Fuck em. Need to find someone for home owners now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called them up one day and asked about reducing my rates. The guy said I could put my 1995 Mustang GT on liability only since it was "old and not worth much". At that point I informed him that I just insured my highly modified 1995 Mustang GT that was "old and not worth much" for $35,000 through Hagerty. All he said was "oh". At that point I said screw you guys and hanged up. I now have progressive and in 3 years they have actually reduced my rate by about $50 a year.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Having worked in collision repair for more than 23 years as a painter, this is what I recommend. Call your agent or the insurance company's claim number and demand your car to be fixed. They should find a shop local to you and fix it, and thats it. If they give you static, call your lawyer.Your policy will read the repair will be to pre accident condition. By law, they must hold to that. I dont care for Allstate myself. We are not a DRP for them and they tend to really cut on labor hours and want to use shitty aftermarket parts too much. If we were a preferred shop by them maybe their attitude toward us would be different. But give them the opportunity to make it right. They should be kissing your ass since you are their customer, see how it goes. If not, lawyer up. Good luck
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Talked to the insurance adjuster on the phone and am going to take it to a shop in town.

10 min later the manager of the shop in Muncie called me begged me to give them a second chance I declined. After the Mrs comes back to from delivering a ton of stuff to the attorneys office, I am taking the car to the second shop.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#32]
I have had 4 claims in my ~15 years of driving.  The first, my wife got rear ended in our 2 month old Nissan Sentra while I was deployed.  She took it to the place the insurance recommended.  Body work looked OK but something was fubar.  Had to get new wheel bearings in the rear every few months.  The Insurance co (Geico) said "sorry".  The Nissan dealer said "we dont know why they keep going bad".  Same car a year or so later got hit in a parking lot.  The asshole smashed the entire passenger side of the car and left no note.  We took it to the body shop that our insurance company recommended (Farmers) and they did a shit job.  Paint on the weatherstripping, fenders didnt line up, etc but by this point I didnt care about that piece of shit car and wanted something new.  We waited until dark one night and traded the car in on a new Mazda6.  

My other 2 claims were ~$3000 worth of hail damage to my 4 month old truck and one night a trailer jumped out while I was backing up.  I picked the place to fix it, they did excellent work, and I'm happy.  Both were through Progressive and my rates did not change.

Moral of the story, take your car where you want and talk to the folks at the body shop.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Update: took it to a local shop that has a reputation for being very good. They are a family business and have been around forever. The car has a bent subframe and all the prior work is shitty. Got an email from the first shop, I requested the alignment worksheet, they can't find it.

The guy at the new place is going to call me when they can get it in then have the claims adjuster come out with a camera. Should be fun times.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Update: took it to a local shop that has a reputation for being very good. They are a family business and have been around forever. The car has a bent subframe and all the prior work is shitty. Got an email from the first shop, I requested the alignment worksheet, they can't find it.

The guy at the new place is going to call me when they can get it in then have the claims adjuster come out with a camera. Should be fun times.
View Quote

Yep. We all know that just means they never aligned it.
I'm glad you're getting it taken care of at a place that (hopefully) will get it right.
I'd still be on the phone with the previous shop's manager outlining every little bit of tomfoolery his shop did.
I'd also let him know that everyone in his town was going to know how bad their work was.
ETA: makes me glad that our recent vehicle was totalled after its accident. As much as I can't really afford more car payments, at least I've got a car that's straight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Doesn't your insurance company provide some type of guarantee of work done if you use a body shop they suggest?  I would call the insurance company on Monday and explain the situation.
View Quote

THIS!!!   My insurance company (LM) guarantees all the work when done by a shop that they recommend!  If that doesn't work then use your lawyer buddy!

Also I HOPE you paid for work with credit card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Get car checked out by a reputable shop and have them write a report of what's wrong and sent it to the CC company and DISPUTE the charge! That's EXACTLY why I keep and use a CC!

FWIW a few years ago I had a Break My Wallet car fixed after storm damage. The shop messed a few things and left off a lot of trim and small parts. I called the company and got the manager and took the car back and showed him everything that was wrong. They took the car back and repainted it and fixed it right the second time!  Never even got the insurance company involved.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I am fearful to take it to another of their recommended shops. I am wondering if I should make insurance take it to Acura. We all know that the stealership might not be better, but they will at least cost the most.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes they just farm out the work.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm pretty pissed with my insurance company right now.  The collision repair center did a mostly good job, but there are some nagging little issues that I've been bugging the insurer to take care of - like a rear light assembly that has condensation in it, indicating that it was cracked during the accident.

They claim I can't prove it, but since they replaced the entire pickup bed assembly, and kept the light clusters.  I say I shouldn't have to prove it, only attest that the leak wasn't there before the accident.

Those bastards have us by the balls, and they know we have no real recourse, other than an attorney.  And who hires an attorney for minor problems?

View Quote

The question is did they replace it with NEW parts or used parts from a wrecking yard!   In Florida, you are entitled to NEW parts by law!  Demand to see a copy of the invoice where they bought the part. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't used!

"only attest that the leak wasn't there before the accident."

Doesn't matter if it leaked before or not, It's their job to FIX it!

PS  I  HATE ALLSTATE insurance!  I left the state that I used to live in because of them! I will NEVER under any circumstances EVER give Allstate another penny of my money! Even If I have to move out of state again!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Allstate has been very well behaved once they put in my file that I've retained an attorney and he sent them a letter telling them that since they are MY insurance company (my policy) they need to behave. My friend (the lawyer) said that the other guy not having insurance is the best thing that could happen to me.

Since I was injured seriously in the accident, he said my deductible was going to be reimbursed when everything was settled.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'll just wish you luck with the whole thing.          
View Quote

Thank you! I am very depressed about the whole thing. I really want to go back to work. And workers comp has not sent a check yet. It's been 2.5 weeks. Since I had two surgeries earlier this year, cash reserves are at an all time low
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Never use the insurance companies authorized repair center!

I've learned the hard way 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I've had great luck with the two different insurance recommended places... I wouldn't hesitate to take my cars back. Both are in the CarStar network, and they'll even fix the niddly little things, like the replacement Emblem is slightly proud on one side compared to the other side, or the bumperstep pad is different...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top