Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2002 11:08:26 PM EDT
I posted this in the legal section but wanted to ask here as well as it seems to get more traffic.  I apologize to anyone that this tactic may offend.

I have a deal lined up with a guy local to me who has a revolver for sale.  The problem, if it is a problem, is that the revolver belonged to his now deceased father.  Since the wheelgun is not in his name, how would I legally be able to transfer the gun to my name?  Would we be able to just go to a gun store and do a regular transfer or will the fact that the pistol comes up in his father's name cause a problem?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
State laws vary. In TN, as long as the gun is not stolen nor considered a "valued" part of the estate (rare & valuable piece) it would be no problem.

In CA, who the hell knows? Do you have to register a used gun you buy from an individual?
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand that some bad people out in CA have bought things with cash and no reciept.

But YOU wouldn't do anything like that, would you?[;)]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Sheldon, Go to your favorite gun shop with the gun and other guy and they will take care of the transfer for you for a fee.

If the pistol is not in probate and if his father purchased it a long time ago then the pistol is likely registered in nobodies name and if he sold it to you nobody would know. But that would not be legal.

THISISME
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Piccolo, I laughed when I read your post.

If he lived in AZ he could by it with cash and a hand shake. Hand shake not required though of course.

THISISME
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I understand that some bad people out in CA have bought things with cash and no reciept.

But YOU wouldn't do anything like that, would you?[;)]
View Quote

Since I do have a few legal registered "assault rifles" I figure I'm more likely than most to possibly get checked and I wouldn't want to be less than legit with all my stuff.  I've done private party transfers before, but never where I wasn't actually buying from the actual owner of the gun.  I know they run the serial number and it will show the guys dad's name as the owner.  How do they handle that is what I need to know.  

I'm told the gun is rather new and will show up in their serial number check.  It was purchased at B&B Sales.....of the North Hollywood shootout fame.  They are the gun store that lent the LAPD the AR-15s.  This gun was purchased at their Westminster store.  Sadly they recently went out of business.

I'm going to call a gun shop up in the morning and ask them.....hope it's legal as I really want the gun.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#6]
You could try first checking www.ca.gov
You can find a place to check the laws, also they have state agencies - you would want the DOJ.  Look for a FAQ.  You probably should first be sure that the son has met or can meet the law for him to have it, otherwise how can he do a FFL transfer to you?

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I would have bought it and kept my mouth shut.
AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top