Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2013 6:56:23 AM EDT
For the love of God, please use the right tool! Either a tool post grinder or a mill! Not a bench grinder..

Now because of you Mr Bench Grinder, with your Parkinson's . I have to un-cluster what you have done. I think I have enough meat, i pray to God I have enough meat.

Coming soon.. How to remove the ears properly with pics for the slow window lickers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics or I don't understand it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
How about leave them on!

I have a completely bubbaized 1917 eddystone. My dad bought it for me when I turned 18, so I will never get rid of it or change it. But dang it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about leave them on!

I have a completely bubbaized 1917 eddystone. My dad bought it for me when I turned 18, so I will never get rid of it or change it. But dang it.
View Quote

OH HELLS NO!

the ears get bobbed! I got to have it look like a Remington 30!

I got 2 im building for customers.. one with ears and one with Shakey McGrindy no ears. Ill do pics when i start.. cals will be .375 Ruger and 338 Lapua.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need to start a business called "Donor Actions R Us" just to sell mil surplus actions with no stocks or barrels.  Maybe forge pointy ends into the barrels and sell those as garden stakes.

Start with Mosin Nagants.

Here's a pretty cool action for sale at my friend's shop.  I looked this one over on Saturday, and it's pretty cool but for the straight bolt handle:
Mannlicher Schoenaur Action
View Quote

Ive built 3 of those. Modifying the box mag on that is a PITA.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For the love of God, please use the right tool! Either a tool post grinder or a mill! Not a bench grinder..

Now because of you Mr Bench Grinder, with your Parkinson's . I have to un-cluster what you have done. I think I have enough meat, i pray to God I have enough meat.

Coming soon.. How to remove the ears properly with pics for the slow window lickers.
View Quote

That's nearly sig material.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm reading the free gunsmithing book that was available on Amazon Kindle a while ago.  90% is sporterizing milsurp actions.  I keep reminding myself that, when he wrote this, those surplus rifles were in the same category as Mickey Mouse boots: commodities, some better some worse, but not rare.

The irony is that the ONLY reason unmolested milsurps have value is because so many were sporterized.  Every time a purist has a kitten because someone is grinding on a receiver (regardless of what shape it's in), in the back of their mind they know the value of what they have just went up Incrementally.

That being said, I would think there are enough old sporterizations around that gunsmiths would not need to work on original actions.  Sounds like you have one of each.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The irony is that the ONLY reason unmolested milsurps have value is because so many were sporterized.

View Quote

Not sporterized per se, but the big winner in the 'modification circuis' are unmolested .455 Webleys....  Estimates are that 90% were shaved.  This one wasn't though:

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not sporterized per se, but the big winner in the 'modification circuis' are unmolested .455 Webleys....  Estimates are that 90% were shaved.  This one wasn't though:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DriftPunch/media/weblymk6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/weblymk6.jpg</a>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The irony is that the ONLY reason unmolested milsurps have value is because so many were sporterized.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DriftPunch/media/weblymk6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/weblymk6.jpg</a>

What makes those worse is that the conversion was questionable at best. The beefier, better steel quality Mk.V and Mk. VIs can handle .45ACP for awhile - even though max pressures for .45ACP are proof load level for .455 - but the real crime was the conversion of the black-powder only Mk. I and Mk. II revolvers. Those are completely unsafe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Bannerman's did some .30-'06 sporter conversions of Mosin-Nagant M91 rifles back in the day. They are generally considered unsafe with anything but extremely light loads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Perverted minds think alike...

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#13]
OP is a smart guy, but i'm not.

what the fuck are you talking about ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]
He's talking about either a US Model of 1917 or Pattern 14 rifle.  The 1917 came out of the P14 which the US manufactured for the Brits during WWI.  When we got into the fray, we didn't have enough 1903's for all the Soldiers being mobilized so the gunmakers (Winchester, Remington and Eddystone) told the US government that they could retool and modify the P14 to accept the US .30 caliber round and do it quickly.  They did so and most US troops going to Europe were equipped with 1917's rather than 1903's.  

The big ears he speaks of are the sight protectors for the rear sight.  They are part of the receiver and stick way up.  Some folks don't like them so they grind them off when sporterizing.  

Fun fact:  The M1917 almost became the standard US rifle after WWI but enough folks threw enough of a fit that they kept the 1903 and put the 1917's in reserve.  They found the 1917 was a better battle rifle but the 1903 had a rear sight adjustable for windage and was a better target rifle.  

Another fun fact:  The M1917 will actually hold 6 rounds of 30-06 ammunition in the magazine.  Because it was developed from the P14, which used rimmed .303 British ammunition, the magazine can hold 6 rounds of rimless 30-06.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Fun fact:  The M1917 almost became the standard US rifle after WWI but enough folks threw enough of a fit that they kept the 1903 and put the 1917's in reserve.  They found the 1917 was a better battle rifle but the 1903 had a rear sight adjustable for windage and was a better target rifle.  

View Quote

A big factor was that .gov controlled the means of production of the '03, whereas the private companies that made the '17 were strike prone.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Mannlicher action has a rotary magazine.

There's a sheriff in Colorado with a really cool sporterized Mosin.  No one knows who built the gun, some of the instructors at Trinidad thought it might have been built by a student way back.  Anyway, it's the only example I've seen that was worth a hoot.  I don't recall the cartridge, it was something common, and American!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to start a business called "Donor Actions R Us" just to sell mil surplus actions with no stocks or barrels.  Maybe forge pointy ends into the barrels and sell those as garden stakes.

Here's a pretty cool action for sale at my friend's shop.  I looked this one over on Saturday, and it's pretty cool but for the straight bolt handle:

There's a sheriff in Colorado with a really cool sporterized Mosin.  No one knows who built the gun, some of the instructors at Trinidad thought it might have been built by a student way back.  Anyway, it's the only example I've seen that was worth a hoot.  I don't recall the cartridge, it was something common, and American!

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bannerman's did some .30-'06 sporter conversions of Mosin-Nagant M91 rifles back in the day. They are generally considered unsafe with anything but extremely light loads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

It might be one of the batch of the 1889's that were sold to the Czar but never delivered due to the revolution.  A bunch got sent over on Operation Archangel (where they were promptly abandoned), and the rest were rechambered in 30-06 for training rifles for the US Army, possibly the reserves.

My Dad got a Mosin in trade that, as far vas I could tell from the various stamps, was:
- Made by Westinghouse
- Sent over to the USSR on Archangel
- Captured by the Finns
- Put in the Finnish guard reserve
- And may have made it to some other Eastern Block country before coming over here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup its a box that drops out. but dont contain the rounds.. sorry for teh confusion.

Ive done a 257 Roberts, and 2 35 Remingtons on them and Ive had to machine the mag to get stuff to fit. its a real PITA.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread is reminding me to pick up some more Dremel tools from Home Depot. Old firearms 'aint gonna customize themselves you know.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#20]
For the visual learner.  

Sporter is a BSA my grandfather picked up in 1951 in England while he was stationed there as an Air Force MP. It's a 303 and was my first deer rifle.

1917 is a Remington that he bought from an uncle  for $20.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm a thread killer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine are staying like this.

The P'14 is RAF-marked.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sure is

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:44:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What makes those worse is that the conversion was questionable at best. The beefier, better steel quality Mk.V and Mk. VIs can handle .45ACP for awhile - even though max pressures for .45ACP are proof load level for .455 - but the real crime was the conversion of the black-powder only Mk. I and Mk. II revolvers. Those are completely unsafe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have a Mk1* that is converted, and I shoot it alot, and I mean thousands of rounds alot...

of course I load my own ammo to .455 spec...

I love that old girl
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:02:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I actually have a Mk1* that is converted, and I shoot it alot, and I mean thousands of rounds alot...

I love that old girl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love that old girl

All my Webleys are .455 Webley; except for the 22 LR trainer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For the visual learner.  

Sporter is a BSA my grandfather picked up in 1951 in England while he was stationed there as an Air Force MP. It's a 303 and was my first deer rifle.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6HlJRhaDHp8/UiezgDY4kPI/AAAAAAAAC5o/qvaT6XWFnPk/s800/20130904_182348.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-10D-chcGy5E/Uiezm44cBLI/AAAAAAAAC58/ZH6TapdBlMk/s800/20130904_182337.jpg
View Quote

That Enfield is pretty. I would like to find a nicely done, period, sporter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#27]
if you mean this
" />

dont do it --someone did this one and I will happily trade you for an unmolested one
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the visual learner.  

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6HlJRhaDHp8/UiezgDY4kPI/AAAAAAAAC5o/qvaT6XWFnPk/s800/20130904_182348.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-10D-chcGy5E/Uiezm44cBLI/AAAAAAAAC58/ZH6TapdBlMk/s800/20130904_182337.jpg

It made for a nice deer rifle.  Balance is great, trigger is good, safety is good in a good spot.  .303 will do anything you would want.    Weaver k2.5 has been on there a while.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:08:52 AM EDT
[#29]
In for the pics.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
if you mean thishttp://<a href=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/offctr/IMG_0750-1_zps7e4da469.jpg</a>" />

dont do it --someone did this one and I will happily trade you for an unmolested one
View Quote

No I mean a real enfield. not those crap actions!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

if you mean thishttp://<a href=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/offctr/IMG_0750-1_zps7e4da469.jpg</a>" />

Would you like some glock clips with your Enfields?

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Remove those ears and I'm CRZing to your wow server and ganking you into oblivion forever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Remove those ears and I'm CRZing to your wow server and ganking you into oblivion forever.
View Quote

customer wants customer gets..

waiting on 2 parts for the tool post grinder then ill get started WITH PICS! Muhahahahahahhahahahaahahha
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

waiting on 2 parts for the tool post grinder then ill get started WITH PICS! Muhahahahahahhahahahaahahha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DIY tool post grinder or purchased?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Are you going to name the rifle "Vincent"?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

used Dumore with a few missing parts. hell got a series 44 for like $450 so I cant complain. was setup for inside grinding, so I have to source the outside grinding stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are you going to name the rifle "Vincent"?
View Quote

thats only if I cut one side off. and leave the other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top