[#2]
Article says no manhunt is underway?
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Article says no manhunt is underway?
View Quote

Yet they have the SE end of Draper cordoned off.....strange.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Officer killed early this morning.

From the pictures, it looks liked he pulled up to someone in his vehicle and the shooting started.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been following this all morning. The news reports had been vague and contradicting. Strange case.

ETA: Press conference at 15:00.

Pic of Sgt. Johnson, RIP.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
No manhunt, but have K-9's from Orem up working the scene (what is wrong with the Draper or UPD K-9 units, or where are they?).
No manhunt, but no suspect in custody.
No manhunt but they are stopping and searching cars and citizens.
No description of perp(s).

Something weird is going on here. I wonder if it was some kind of love triangle gone wrong. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened in Utah, or elsewhere. Strange case though.

Prayers out to his family. Good looking group.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
There will be more to this based on the info already pointed out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Domestic violence?
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Just saw overheads of his SUV. Looks like someone smashed the shit out of it. Massive body damage, and it is off the road.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
You'd think there would be a thread of consistency in the stories considering how long this has been going on today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
RIP.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Sister live in Draper. They were stopped on the way to church and sent back home.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Prayers for his family.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Something is missing from the story.  That's a massive amount of resources deployed.

Prayers sent to the family.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just saw overheads of his SUV. Looks like someone smashed the shit out of it. Massive body damage, and it is off the road.
View Quote

Looking at all the pics makes the story thus far even weirder.  There's a volvo SUV with a bunch of what I'm guessing are used medical supplies behind it, cones marking casings maybe? and then his smashed SUV who knows where because it's not in same place as everything else.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looking at all the pics makes the story thus far even weirder.  There's a volvo SUV with a bunch of what I'm guessing are used medical supplies behind it, cones marking casings maybe? and then his smashed SUV who knows where because it's not in same place as everything else.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's common for medical equipment to be littered all over the ground after someone is treated by an ambulance...

ODMP says he was killed responding to an early morning call.

This is obviously part of some greater conspiracy...

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Updated story says no call, dispatch heard a garbled radio from the Sgt then calls came in about the shooting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Huge impact to his vehicle. Want to see the timeline and what happened.

Wrecked vehicle in another location from where all the shots were fired.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a lot of things it could be.  

Looking for suspect vehicle, evidence, or additional suspects yet unknown.  

Depends on what they already know and what they are learning as the case progresses.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Uh Oh.
Isn't Claude Dallas hanging out in Utah these days?
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Tribune

Trib says male / female are the suspects.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this photo will show up, in the lower left corner of the pic just inside the frame, I believe that may be the door of the smashed SUV.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#24]
RIP officer.

Prayers to his family
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If this photo will show up, in the lower left corner of the pic just inside the frame, I believe that may be the door of the smashed SUV.

http://img.ksl.com/slc/2510/251042/25104238.jpg?filter=ksl/pgallery
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if it is, that Volvo didn't hit his SUV.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds a lot like Sgt Johnson met two(2) bad guys, shot it out with them, and if he had to die in the line of duty, they were going with him.  

RIP Sarge, your tour is done.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Dear god. I have employees that work out there and I visit 2-3 times a year.

Prayers out to the family and friends of the officer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If each of those cones denote cartridge casings that was a hell of a shoot out.

we can only hope he took one of the bastards with him.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
RIP Mr. Johnson.

I wonder where the vehicle is that hit him,  Something hit him hard.  I don't think that is something the other vehicle would drive away from unless it is a big vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The link in the first post has been updated and, in addition, there is a picture wall but it is still hard to figure out what happened.  I saw cones up on the front porch of a brick house.  Holy moly, if those cones are marking shell casings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#31]
His vehicle came to rest a few hundred feet north of where the Volvo is sitting, off the road. I am betting he ran into a tree as he tried to get away after the shoot out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Updated story says police saying adult man & woman in critical condition are responsible for the officer's death.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
His vehicle came to rest a few hundred feet north of where the Volvo is sitting, off the road. I am betting he ran into a tree as he tried to get away after the shoot out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Rest in peace Sgt, we'll take it from here

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Timcohydronics/null_zps95e45cf4.jpg

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Orange cone does not automatically mean shell casings.  ANYTHING inside the search perimeter that does not belong gets a cone.  Cigarette butts, blood spots, auto glass,  etc.  It  all gets tagged and bagged.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#37]
If suspects survive I hope they drool and shit in a bag for the rest of their existence.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Prayers for his family.

Another one gone way too soon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice looking family.  

Now it's shattered.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#40]
New info released this evening:

DRAPER — In a Sunday evening press conference, police officials gave new information regarding the fatal shooting of Draper sergeant Derek Johnson.

Police Chief Brian Roberts said Johnson approached a suspicious vehicle that appeared to be parked unusually along the street. As Johnson drew nearer, the driver of the car ambushed the officer, opening fire through the window.

"Officer Johnson was struck and returned to his vehicle to take cover," Roberts said. "He was never able to return fire."

Roberts said Johnson drove a few hundred yards and struck a tree.

Police believe that the shooter was a 35-year-old man. They said the man allegedly shot a 34-year-old female passenger prior to shooting the officer. The couple was involved in a minor car accident at an intersection in Draper minutes before the shooting.

I hope the shooter dies after a lengthy, painful battle with post injury infections. Scumbag
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

DRAPER — In a Sunday evening press conference, police officials gave new information regarding the fatal shooting of Draper sergeant Derek Johnson.

Police Chief Brian Roberts said Johnson approached a suspicious vehicle that appeared to be parked unusually along the street. As Johnson drew nearer, the driver of the car ambushed the officer, opening fire through the window.

"Officer Johnson was struck and returned to his vehicle to take cover," Roberts said. "He was never able to return fire."

Police believe that the shooter was a 35-year-old man. They said the man allegedly shot a 34-year-old female passenger prior to shooting the officer. The couple was involved in a minor car accident at an intersection in Draper minutes before the shooting.

I hope the shooter dies after a lengthy, painful battle with post injury infections. Scumbag
View Quote

What a terrible, terrible tragedy.

I know a lot of guys mock the made it home safe thing, but this guy checked on a parked car on a Sunday morning in a quiet town......
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Can't be said enough. Tragic. Just unspeakable. Time / place, who would have thought.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've been following this all morning. The news reports had been vague and contradicting. Strange case.

ETA: Press conference at 15:00.

Pic of Sgt. Johnson, RIP.

<a href="http://s148.photobucket.com/user/glockguy/media/BTGSv9wCIAAF8NI_zpsb5272725.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s35/glockguy/BTGSv9wCIAAF8NI_zpsb5272725.jpg</a>

View Quote

wife & young son?
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I expect something like this to happen in West Valley or South Salt Lake, not Draper.  Draper is a pretty nice place.

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:39:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:40:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know a lot of guys mock the made it home safe thing, but this guy checked on a parked car on a Sunday morning in a quiet town......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:15:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be the same group of guys that "catch."  Far more douchebags in the general populous than in law enforcement.  I hope ALL those that serve, MIL, LEO, FF, EMS, and those that volunteer in their community make it home safe and live a long and happy life.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Local news this morning describes what happened as an ambush.  Male suspect parked after being involved in a hit-and-run.  When the officer noticed the parked car and pulled over to investigate, the suspect/murderer ambushed the officer firing multiple shots.  Officer tried to escape the kill zone with the murderer still firing after him and eventually crashed the police vehicle.

Murderer then shot the woman and himself, cowardly bastard that he is.  I wish the murderer had just shot himself to begin with and spared everyone else the pain and heartache.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#49]
ETA:  I see Shane333 has the answer.  We were both typing at the same time apparently.

Quoted:

[span style='color: blue;']DRAPER —
View Quote

If that is the case, apparently the shooter shot himself and the woman who was involved in a relatively minor traffic accident with him??  It will be interesting to see what comes out about the shooter -- sounds like a real  nutcase.  Wonder if the accident might have been an intentional attack on his part on a female known to him.

A lot of speculation.  Meanwhile, a fine young man is dead, a young wife is now a widow and trying to figure out what to do next, and we are all hoping a little boy is big enough to have memories of his father as he grows up.  Prayers out to his family, especially his young wife and boy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#50]
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865585646/Draper-police-officer-killed-two-others-injured-in-Sunday-morning-shooting.html

Johnson came across a silver Volvo that was parked in an unusual position on 132 South Fort Street shortly before 6 a.m. A man, 35, and a woman, 34, were with the car when Johnson stopped to investigate, Roberts said.

“As Sgt. Johnson approached the couple in his vehicle, the man ambushed him and began firing at Sgt. Johnson,” Roberts said.

Johnson was hit by a bullet and drove down the street as the suspect continued to fire at him. Johnson’s car ran off the road and hit a tree about three blocks north on Fort Street.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top