Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2002 6:08:56 AM EDT
Published again! You can too!

Published in the Connecticut Post (11/04/2002, Page A10)
Letters from Our Readers.

I sent this in with Header that included my full name,address and telephone number; and addressed it: "Letters to the Editor". I also printed my name and town at the bottom of the piece.

GET THE WORD OUT!
Please feel free to copy and adjust it for your name (etc.) and sent it into your local newspapers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Ballistic Finger Printing - A Flawed Dream.

Sir:
Based on the combined experience of both the states of New York and Maryland, Ballistic Finger Printing has yet to save one person’s life, prevent a crime, or result in the conviction of a criminal.

In order to understand why Ballistic Finger Printing (BFP) does not work, will not work, and cannot work, you need to know some basic facts.

The science of BFP has serious limitations in real life. For example, normal gun use wear and after market modifications can result in significant changes to the original BFP. This
can make the BFP on file something next to useless in crime solving at a later date.

The technology for computerized matching is woefully inaccurate. This means the work must be done manually. That is a task that is a disaster in the making. The result is more time taken, and that time costs money. This means more of your taxpayer dollars spent for nothing.

The negative economics of a BFP law for newly manufactured guns available for sale does two things. It costs the manufacturer more money to comply with this idiotic requirement. These costs are passed along to the consumer in the form of higher prices, and higher sales taxes. In addition, it costs taxpayers more money, in terms of the annual expense to finance an agency to compile, maintain, and use a BFP database.

Also, consider that Americans now privately own more than 200 million guns. When you eventually realize that none of these will ever be subject to a BFP, it is really not so difficult to see why a Ballistic Finger Print law is both bad legislation, and a waste of our money.

Ballistic Finger Printing is not cheap, and it does not work as advertised.

Douglas
My Town

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
CAN I GET A HA LE LUUUUUU YA BROTHAS AND SISTAS??
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Fire Polishing...Barrel Changing...Extractor, Ejector Changing..Good through cleaning..and just plain ole shooting...would mess up the data...

I would think making a conviction impossible without all the other evidence you would need to collect any way as if you didnt have the 'BF' (ballistic fingerprint)

But then consider the expense to tax payers..collecting all this data..billions of dollars..to collect worthless data

This is only pre election feel good..democratic we need an agenda- a hook -something to go after Bush with kind of laws...

They know it wont work ..they dont care..what they want is for the Prez and Repubs to "oppose it" so they can point fingers and accuse the Repubs of  "Caving in to the NRA" ..The White Militia of gun owners etc etc..

.then they blame the NRA for the beltway sniper..as they blame the gun...and as Dems alway do NEVER EVER BLAME THE CRIMINAL (Unless HE is white)

Then of course because of any one fighting their BF law they will go on to accuse of aiding terrorists.(they mean Repubs of course).

This of course also hides facts of the dem's stand on immigration... & refusual of the clinton fbi and cia to go after muslims after the first WTC attack and before & after OK City..(hese events did more to aid terrorism in America than probably Saddam Husseing himself did...imo)

The BF measure is a smoke and mirrors job by the Dems to throw off their own guilt & responsibilty for domestic terror and shift it to more PC suspects...helping to establish them with their voter base and hoping to lure the undecided independents....through media brainwashing..fear mongering and sensationalism...and of course out right LIES
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top