Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2013 7:03:27 AM EDT
Okay, for those of you that don't know me I spent 8 years in the Marines as an 0341 as well as a 2 year stint as a combat instructor at the School of Infantry (West) with Infantry Training Battalion.
  When I started taking college courses I kept that to myself during all the "ice breaker" sessions at the start of each semester. Well the other day in my philosophy class (it was that or something musicy as an elective for my paramedic certification) this guy goes to introduce himself to the class. He says, "Hi I'm REDACTED, and I've been a Marine for the last 5 years....."

Cut to today... the professor asks if any of us have any experience with philosophy. Of course Chesty over there was the first one to pipe up with this gem, "I took a class on Killosophy."

My immediate thought was simply, Fuck.

There are so many days left in the semester. Damn it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#1]
A 41 you say ...

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
He is probably a poser or a pogue
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 41 you say ...

View Quote

I was on the hill. So not even the rest of the platoon knew what the hell we were doing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my good friends in college (80's) was a Vietnam vet who decided to finally use his college benefit.  Big tat of the zig-zag man on his arm, liked the gonja, laid back.  Fun guy to be around.  Never mentioned the killin'.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny, this was just on a friend's facebook feed...

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Okay, for those of you that don't know me I spent 8 years in the Marines as an 0341 as well as a 2 year stint as a combat instructor at the School of Infantry (West) with Infantry Training Battalion.
  When I started taking college courses I kept that to myself during all the "ice breaker" sessions at the start of each semester. Well the other day in my philosophy class (it was that or something musicy as an elective for my paramedic certification) this guy goes to introduce himself to the class. He says, "Hi I'm REDACTED, and I've been a Marine for the last 5 years....."

Cut to today... the professor asks if any of us have any experience with philosophy. Of course Chesty over there was the first one to pipe up with this gem, "I took a class on Killosophy."

View Quote

You can use your GI Bill and come to Louisiana Shooters Unlimited and become an NRA Instructor in all 13 NRA Disciplines. We are in Lake Charles just 30 miles East of the Texas state line.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't agree with allowing the .mil to reintigrate with society after they get out, especially not in our schools. They're dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went to school after getting out, but the university was near the base so there were quite a few veterans enrolled.  I never encountered any post-mil herp derp of that nature.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a fucking tool bag.  Grab him after class and tell him to quick being a fucking retard.  He's probably a fucking water dog
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll just introduce myself to him as a Doctor in Pogology with a Masters in War Stories.

Or maybe everytime he says something Marine Corps related, I'll just yell out, "GIVE EM ONE."
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I am honest if people ask me questions about my service since I don't give a fuck. But, I don't volunteer dumb shit like that. Sometimes If the topic is related to Afghanistan/Middle East/Warefare I'll volunteer my opinion/views. Besides that I am quiet unless I know someone in my class.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Do the Marines really have a class on Killology?    

We didn't have that in the Army.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. He's just trying to get people to thank him for his service.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I feel your pain, OP. Had one in my class last semester who was also a former Marine and supposedly worked for Blackwater during OIF.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#15]
As a young math nerd hired to be a TA for freshman math courses starting my sophomore year, I got a different perspective on various demographics of students, their study habits, grade distributions and general attitudes.

In my experience, former military students on the GI bill were my favorite students to work with. For the most part, their grades were good. If they did fuck up a test, they did not come and bitch about their grade. They did frequently ask questions about why I graded the way I did, and for advice on how to study, and/or approach problems. The average 18 year old student would merely come into bitch about how much I sucked, argue with me, and in general not take responsibility for their performance. The military guys were easy going, no bull shit people.

Based on what you said, I'm going to guess that guy is a poser.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Drop your sarcasm meter or does it just recalibrating?

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#17]
The more they bark, they less they are.......pull him aside and straighten him out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Who were you with active duty?  2/4 Wpns '01-'05
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

TRUTH
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

3/3 wpns. 04-08 2/8 wpns. 10-12
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who were you with active duty? 2/4 Wpns '01-'05

3/3 wpns...  Ever know a dude named Berquist?
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aiming point this instrument!
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call him out as a dumb boot in front of everybody.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
He is probably a poser or and a pogue
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I feel your pain...I'm lucky, only 1 class with anther vet, and he seems to be squared away.

But I still feel like a dirty old sailor, what with the large number of young hotties in my classes...
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#26]
My buddy goes to school in North Carolina (I go to school in Ohio) and he just saw a guy wearing a hat with an ISAF patch attached to it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've heard one veteran say he has certifications in Applied Violence and Applied Violence Project Management.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've heard one veteran say he has certifications in Applied Violence and Applied Violence Project Management.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, i hate those kind of guys
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I do the same thing op, i don't bring it up in class.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#30]
No one ever asked me and I never told anyone. I still have no idea how the guys at work found out I was in and I've worked there for nine years.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit? I was with 2/8 wpns from 2006-2010

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awe, that's sweet.  Now you two lovebirds go find some terrorist shitbags to kill.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't volunteer info about my service.  I just don't like the attention.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, i laughed
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Had a guy in a couple of my classes that was a Ranger and pretty obviously just gotten out. Dude didn't say much of anything. Talked to him a couple of times and he was a nice dude, but I'm sure he appreciated not being asked stuff like "how many people did you kill"; "did you see any of your buddies die" and all that crap. Just shot the shit with him, but he was stone-cold in the face and voice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why? I am certified in "Igneous Disposal of Excreta" as well as a certified level 4 "Sanitation Technician" but sometimes my job is just so cool I have to brag.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Interesting.

Present perfect case, implying he is still in.

Reservist?

What kind of units are in your AO?
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Place a sticker on his back as you gratuitously pat it, thanking him for his exemplary service.  Use creativity in the content of that sticker, like maybe something in Arabic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
3/3 wpns...  Ever know a dude named Berquist?
View Quote

Name sounds familiar. What years was he there?
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I go to school and have two guys in one class that are vets. One was an Engineer, and the other is a Marine. It's ok, I already forgave him, and he's pretty cool. We three pretty much run the class. We're the only ones that participate in class discussions, etc. The professor already told me this would be a long symester for him if we hadn't been in there. Luckily, we're all squared away and I've yet to meet any tools or posers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#41]
One of my teachers is a former green side Corpsman that did SARC shit I guess.

Every other vet is some air force turd.

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I dated a vet student for a while after college.  I had to end things when she told me she had "fixed" her cat.  I don't date girls who castrate things, sorry.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I dated a vet student for a while after college.  I had to end things when she told me she had "fixed" her cat.  I don't date girls who castrate things, sorry.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can't be serious... I wish I could afford to get my cat fixed right now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the army we have Genocideology.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have lived this many many times in many many situations.  I never understood that whole mentality, and it always comes off to me like someone who has a massive inferiority complex and is dramatically overcompensating.  Provided the guy is legit (and god knows he probably is) I think you'd be well within your rights to take him aside and tell him to chill, he's giving all of us Marines a bad rep.  Tell him if he wants to re-integrate into civilian society, today might be a pretty fucking grand opportunity to start.

ETA: I don't have an issue with him self identifying as a Marine.  Pride is fine.  But if he thinks he's gonna be able to rely on that card for the rest of his life, better to learn now.  And kudos to you for choosing to be a silent professional.

Me, I'm eternally proud of my service, but chose to never actively advertise it.  Never even had a love me wall at work until a year ago, when my business partner pretty much twisted my arm into bringing it to work instead of hanging in my basement office.  I just never felt the need to constantly remind everyone, ya know?  I know what I did, that should be enough.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I don't agree with allowing the .mil to reintigrate with society after they get out, especially not in our schools. They're dangerous.
View Quote

Such a rare event that its a nonissue. Remember, if they could get into college in the first place they wouldn't have joined the military.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Such a rare event that its a nonissue. Remember, if they could get into college in the first place they wouldn't have joined the military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, good point.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Small world... I was 2/8 Golf 2003-2004
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they should hire former military to forcibly keep former military out of the schools.  Win/win.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top