Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2002 11:48:15 AM EDT
This might interest some of you. I was getting ready for bed about 1:15 am in preperation for a meeting I had the next morning. I am working out of my house since becoming unemployed and doing more Tac gear manufacturing.

Anyway, at about 1:30, I heard loud voices and my front gate being opened. I first thought it was some friends coming over to mess with me. They work until 1 or so. They start pounding on the door yelling "trick or treat" really loud. I grab my USP45 and go and look out the window, not the peephole. 2 guys and one girl, about mid 20's or so dressed in costumes. They were wearing face paint.

I ask the want the want through the door and they were still yelling and such. I carefully open the door a crack and keep my firearm out of sight and ask them to leave.

First guy close to the door starts to force it open. I back up and bring my 45 to head level and told them to freeze. One of them had a video camera. They all looked like deer in the headlights. They stop and ask for candy. I told the to leave and not come back. They ask me if they have the wrong house. I informed them not if they wanted to die, they didn't.

They eventually left and threw something at the house as they drove off.

I figured if they called the cops to report it, I'd get a visit anyways, so I didn't report the incident, thinking that they were going to a party and got the wrong house, maybe.

I would love to get a copy of that tape, with that 45 hole looking at the camera. Priceless.

We have had some break-ins in my 'hood the past weeks. Maybe this was another attempt. Foiled because of a mean, nasty gun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Good control of the trigger there. I would have just plugged them all if they tried to push my door open, the woman first! NO HE'S NOT A JBT TRYING TO GET US TO ENCOURAGE THIS TYPE OF RESPONSE.

Bad move man. NEVER POINT THE GUN! Now your on video, I hope they caught tthe pushing part on the tape, cause if not, I'm pretty sure YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POINT A DEADLY WEAPON AT PEOPLE WHO KNOCK ON YOUR DOOR! Its even a crime.

Sorry, i know, don't feed the trolls.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I say good damn job!!

Looks like they got the treat!![:D]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Bad move man. NEVER POINT THE GUN! Now your on video, I hope they caught tthe pushing part on the tape, cause if not, I'm pretty sure YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POINT A DEADLY WEAPON AT PEOPLE WHO KNOCK ON YOUR DOOR! Its even a crime.

View Quote

uh how is this a bad move?  They are also on tape trying to commit a felony( home invasion, B&E, take your pick) He responded properly, they were warned to leave more than once, at that point it is trespassing.  As for them taking the tape to the cops, so what, they will get charged with more crimes than he will, IF he is even charged.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good control of the trigger there. I would have just plugged them all if they tried to push my door open, the woman first! NO HE'S NOT A JBT TRYING TO GET US TO ENCOURAGE THIS TYPE OF RESPONSE.
quote]

In our great state, it is legal to threaten lethal force to prevent criminal trespass.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sorry, i know, don't feed the trolls.
View Quote

Son, you have got a lot to learn before you earn that badge.

13-407. Justification; use of physical force in defense of premises

[b]A. A person or his agent in lawful possession or control of premises is justified in [i]threatening to use deadly physical force or in threatening or using physical force[/i] against another when and to the extent that a reasonable person would believe it immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by the other person in or upon the premises.[/b]

B. A person may use deadly physical force under subsection A only in the defense of himself or third persons as described in sections 13-405 and 13-406.

[b]C. In this section, "premises" means any real property and any structure, movable or immovable, permanent or temporary, adapted for both human residence and lodging whether occupied or not. [/b]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Good Show. I bet had you not had the pistol, or the wombats not seen the pistol you would have had big trouble.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Geez, you almost got to be part of another Yoshi Hattori incident only this time it would have been caught on video.

What did they throw at your house?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a pretty good outcome to me — 3 fools may have gotten some sense scared into them, and nobody got hurt or arrested.

Every once in a while, you hear about someone being shot while attempting to enter the wrong house. Here in San Antonio, a young man on drugs was recently shot by an elderly lady under similar circumstances. She didn't have the nerve to open her door, so he was never deterred by the sight of a gun until she fired from behind her closed door. He died a short time later.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Geez, you almost got to be part of another Yoshi Hattori incident only this time it would have been caught on video.

What did they throw at your house?
View Quote

Incorrrect!...he had a .45 and the VA dude had  a 44mag.[BD]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the comments.

BTW, I am not a troll. Thanks very much.

I would not have pointed my firearm if the big guy had not forced my door open, trying to push me back from behind the door. Had I not have had my firearm, things would have been very different. I think they used the chick to throw people off or put them at ease.

Under AZ law, I was within my rights. Even disparity of force would have been a defense.

Talking with some of my LEO buddies the next day, they were asking why I did not plug the first guy. They all said they would have.

Afterwards, when I went to see if they threw a molotov cocktail at my house, I grabbed the Benelli with the Surefire light to clear the area. Looks like they threw a rock trying to smash a window.

I was staging the trigger, taking up the slack, all the time thinking there were a hundred others waiting to come charging into my home.

I think it was proper and I hope they learned a lesson from it.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Alan
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Alan,

You did good. I have no idea what I would have done and I hope I never find out.

Sleep well.

Bob

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
There's no way I'd [b]open the door[/b] for strangers at 1:15 AM.  I'd make shotgun racking sounds and tell them to leave, and call the cops if they didn't.

OTOH if they forced their way into my house I'd blow their fool heads off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
It is perfectly legal in many states to use force to protect your property. Some (I believe Louisiana is one of 'em) even allow deadly force to protect property.

In Florida you can use deadly force to prevent the imminent commission of a forcibile felony. Forcibile Felony includes Robbery, which is defined as entering a dwelling (w/o permission) to commit an offense.

You can use anything short of deadly force to protect your property. But, if they actually make inside and you are home, you can use deadly force...

All of this is assuming they don't turn tail and run, in which case you can't do anything except call the Police and hope they catch 'em. Polcie can use deadly force to prevent escape (of a Felon), but a civilian can't. In one case down in Miami a guy was charged because he shot a teen who was robbing his house...Only problem was he shot 'em in the back which means the Robber was fleeing at the time he was shot...
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...Robbery, which is defined as entering a dwelling (w/o permission) to commit an offense.
View Quote

Funny how the states differ.  Here, this is the definition of [b]burglary[/b]., according to a P.O. I know.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:26:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There's no way I'd [b]open the door[/b] for strangers at 1:15 AM.  I'd make shotgun racking sounds and tell them to leave, and call the cops if they didn't.

OTOH if they forced their way into my house I'd blow their fool heads off.
View Quote

Dont ever open the door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top