Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2002 7:30:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't use my search button much.  I suppose I could lend mine out to someone for awhile.

Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[b] BESIDES TROLLS WILL NOT PAY TO HARASS US! [/b]
View Quote

There are plenty of trolls who are already Team Members.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I tend to agree with Hiram Ranger.  I've said repeatedly that I would not hesitate to send $20 as a donation to the site for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  No extra services, nothing. I think most people wouldn't sweat it either.  

I don't need alot of extra services.  If you let me search and contribute information by posting that would be more than enough.  I don't need to post pictures or to have an ar15.com email address, though I do think the ability to put a picture underneath my handle is pretty neat.

$20 is the magic number nowdays.  Anything over $20 and most folks start to think twice about spending it.  $60 is a bit steep for me.  I am a sole breadwinner for my family and have a handicapped wife.  $20 is fine though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that getting kicked off the sight is enough to motivate people to join.  I get kicked off frequently nowdays.

I'd pay $20 to make sure I don't get kicked off anymore and to be able to search again.

Even a three tiered payment scheme would be good.  I propose:
Team Member-$60-all the deluxe features
Contributing Member-$20-read,post,search,will not be kicked off.
Guest-read,post,can be kicked off when needed to make bandwith for monitary contributors.

Link Posted: 11/2/2002 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I've stated in the past that I would rather donate with no strings attatched than be a "lodge member" and see this site turn into a "memeber's only" club.  I do agree with Hiram Ranger that if this site is going to go to a "member's only" format and you can only access it if you pay, then a tiered system might be acceptable, but it would kill this site deader than a doornail.

To be honest, I don't see any value in the membership except supporting the site.  I don't need e-mail service, I don't need photo hosting, I could use a free gun, but seriously who's going to join for a chance at a drawing?  I'd get to have a nifty pic under my name, and to be honest, one of the reasons I haven't joined is because I just don't have a cool enough pic to put there yet, and frankly I don't want any different status than anyone else who's on the board for free.  

Are the constant threads rehashing the same subjects over and over again because people can't find the "search" function using less bandwith than the search function does?  (That's a real question, as I'm an idiot when it comes to how much bandwith use is in technical terms)  Is the witholding of the search function mearly blackmail to force this into become a pay site, which if I remember Goatboy when the "Team Membership" idea first floated said this would always be free.  

I offered to pay more than $60 as a donation, no strings attatched, but the Admin's were adamant about not making this a "secret handshake" society.  As I've said, I'd pay to use the site, but I'm not going to be blackmailed into it.

Is Hiram Ranger reflecting the opinion of the owners of this site?  Is this the direction that we are going?  

Ross
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Hiram Ranger-

So just how active is the "member's only" forum?  I mean does it have enough traffic and quality (which admittedly varies considerably) that it would be able to support the site on it's own.  I mean if you right now only counted the people who are actually team members, would this site be a ghost town or not?  

Who cares about lurkers?  Why do you think they are "sneaking around" and why would you care?  I certainly have no beef with freemasons[;)] (my dad's a past master), but how many other team members share your view that this should be a "secret society"?

Ross
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]
GB has always stated that he wished the site to be free.  He wanted to add some features for members, such as the email, photo hosting, and gun contest.  I don't use any of those features but I still consider the $60 a year to be a bargain for the amount of time I spend here. We've had the memberships for over a year and it still hasn't turned into a "members only" lodge.  Hell, traffic on the member's board is very slow. I frankly don't think anything needs to be changed, other than getting the search back for everybody, but GB said he is already working on that.

Besides, trolls are fun for when things get slow around here. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
GB has always stated that he wished the site to be free.  He wanted to add some features for members, such as the email, photo hosting, and gun contest.  I don't use any of those features but I still consider the $60 a year to be a bargain for the amount of time I spend here. We've had the memberships for over a year and it still hasn't turned into a "members only" lodge.  Hell, traffic on the member's board is very slow. I frankly don't think anything needs to be changed, other than getting the search back for everybody, but GB said he is already working on that.

Besides, trolls are fun for when things get slow around here. [:)]
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Sociopath- I forgot to add that everyone gets kicked off the site if they are idle for too long.  It does get annoying but isn't that big of a deal.  Only happens to me if I go to read other boards and come back to this site later.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#18]
[b]WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE!![/b]

Do you mean that I don't have to keep paypalling $2. to Paul to have him do each of my searches?

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Sigh.  Oh well, I needed to spend less time online anyway.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#21]
just curious but how much do advertisers pay to advertise here? How much would they pay if membership dropped to almost nothing due to a requirement to pay?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#23]
If and when I have an extra 10$ not allocated for a creditor, It will be sent to the NRA or GOA. There are many other message boards on the net, this one just happened to be my favorite.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#25]
That is a very good idea. I would be more than happy to donate.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#27]
HiramRanger sounds like he is in the Christmas spirit!  I am one of the hated ones who lurks on a daily basis (for at least the past 6 or 7 months) and posts very rarely.  I dont really want to have to dish out the cash for the way I am using this site.  That being said, would I pay to stay here?....yes, but not happily.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Everyone should be forced to register and pay. And if we decide to raise the rates later, no one will be allowed to withdraw from our once voluntary system. No one should be able to participate in our society and retain any sort of privacy if they desire. And if they are not good enough and say things which we disagree with we should confiscate their privileges.

Sound familiar?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#30]
The site should remain free and accessible, othewise it'll die off.  I do think that anybody who actively benefits from this place shold feel some sense of obligation to make a financial contribution. Even a few dollars can help.  It should remain voluntary, and I think Goatboy's got his head in the right place.  That's why this site is so cool!

No one should be forced to pay.  But again, you'd think that anyone who posts alot, finds great deals on the EE, or just uses the site for general entertainment would eventually want to help out.  How many thousands of posts do you have to have before you'd start feeling bad about not paying some of your own freight?

Think about it:  the cost of a computer, internet access, AND all those guns everybody is always bragging about is so much more than a $60 membership.  $5 a month is 16 cents a day.  Really, spare change!  Two people can barely go out for dinner and a movie one time for an annual contribution to AR15.com.  

One of the best things about joining is you get to bitch about the site guilt-free!  That's worth it's weight in gold...

[;D]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Before the end of the year, Sea Dweller will send in 49.2 Cayman Island Dollars.

Sorry, big gun nut show this month.

And I don't like paypal.

One other thing, I was gonna do it before the search button disappeared but haven't got around to it.  Has nothing to do with this bullying thread.

Thanks to the EE, my AR supply has been substantially diminished![:O]  
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't mean to be an SOB about this, but I totally agree with Ken.  I just made a good-sized contribution to the NRA to help with the campaign season.  I have a lot of other places the money can go, but that seemed important to me.  If I have money I wish to donate, that is the direction it is going.  I like this place...it seems like home and I will miss it if I can't post here anymore.  But I sure as hell won't be bullied or blackmailed into contributing.  (Note, I am NOT saying that the Avilas are doing this...but I sure get that distinct feeling from the tone of some of the posts by Team Members in this thread.)
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
GB has stated over and over and over again he wants the site to remain free. Donations are appreciated but not obligated. He stated that the pic hosting and email and such was just a thank you to the guys that are helping out.

Unbunch your panties are get back to having some fun around here.
View Quote

TBS, as I said, I didn't get the bullying impression from the Avilas.  But Hiram Ranger is making a habit of shooting off his mouth on the subject.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#38]
The Avilas are great aren't they?  

This sight really does cost alot.  This isn't just your home p.c. on a dsl line.........  There's some REAL money involved in this.  I used to run an ISP and we spent thousands a month on our T1's.

I think it says a lot for the Avilas that they care enough about our freedoms that they are willing to take it on themselves to have a site like this.

I don't know what the real numbers are, but I "lurked" for a couple of months before I had something to say.  When I did, I found I couldn't post without signing up, so I did.  Now I post as sociopath all the time. I'm a recognisable entity on the site, when I come back and log in, you know who I am.  There's nothing anonymous about that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You may think I'm shooting my mouth off, but hey, I PAID for the right to shoot it off and express my [b] PERSONAL [/b] opinions on this site.  In other words I paid to play, what's your excuse for shooting your's off?
View Quote

I don't feel a need to PAY for the "privilege" of expressing my opinions.  I find the idea skin-crawlingly similar to those people who joined fraternities in college since it was the only way they could make friends.
I think you should read Ed Avila Sr's post and think about whether you are making the situation better or worse.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Hmmm... I thought we covered this issue when the team membership was first brought up?
If people have issues with the system mabey they should take it up with goatboy to have things resolved. There is an explosion in people on this board latley and something has to give.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Give me a break, if you aren't willing to pony up $10 under my proposed (personal proposal, NOT an official site proposal) tiered structure that we have a problem.  There are too many freeloaders around here that spend hours on this site a day and offer nothing financially to support the operations and maintenance of this site.

Site sponsors and a handful of paid members should not be carrying the burden, nor should the Avilas be paying out of pocket for your amusement.  Nobody is looking to get rich off of this.  $10 a year is nothing for everything you get from this site.  Hell, split the $10 between an operations fund and the brotherhood assistance fund.  I don't care, but enough already with people hanging out but not ponying up.

View Quote

If you don't want to ante up $10 per year for the site then freeload somewhere else.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Is there any way to set up a pay over the phone type of deal? Maybe sent to an honest gun dealer in your area,where it could be be collected [?] I dont like pay-pal,dont go to the post office,and dont know if there is any money in the checking acc. from one day to the next. If I could call and donate/join before the wife finds out we have more money, I would gladly do so. If not I'll make a speical trip to the P office one of these days.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top