Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/24/2013 3:47:00 PM EDT
Ever since my friend bought one and I learned a bit about it, I was impressed and eventually I'd love to own one.  Now this is a 350z that he has.  However, a gal down the street has a Z and I'm not sure which one.  

Here's the thing...hers has a completely rounded ass end on it.  All the 350z's I've seen the back slopes down and then sticks out about 10-12". I'm thinking maybe hers is the 370z.

As for the insurance, the 350z's are only an extra $200 a year to insure while the 370z is $400-$500 a year more.  Is it the Infinity I'm thinking of that has the back seat or does the 370 as well?  So for the few extra hp or maybe other details...is the 370 worth the extra money?  

A guy that works in a Chinese nail place has a 350z near me.  I took a closer look at it today...he must use the grinding sound of his rims hitting the curb as a guide when parking because his are shredded! Plus the inside looks like a toddler through a bitch fit....and it was automatic.  It was really a shame to see...and that guy probably bought it new and paid for it outright...and he paints nails for a living.  

Anyway, please share your thoughts here.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
All I can say is...

Is that the 370z looks far better in appearance from my perspective...and it has more horsepower than the 350. Barely enough horsepower to stay relevant I might add.

No, unfortunely the 370z does NOT have a backseat. That was the main reason I picked up a Camaro SS instead. My babyseat fits perfectly back there.

All the 350z's I've seen the back slopes down and then sticks out about 10-12". I'm thinking maybe hers is the 370z.
View Quote

Nope that would be the 370. The tail lights & head lights are the easiest way to tell the difference.

370z

350z
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
In that case, I agree,  I think the 370 looks much better.  However, certain aspects of it comes close to looking like a cheap Tiburon.  

Thanks for the pics!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In that case, I agree,  I think the 370 looks much better.  However, certain aspects of it comes close to looking like a cheap Tiburon.  

Thanks for the pics!

-Emt1581
View Quote

I don't really see the Tiburon in styling, but everyone has got a different taste in what they like.

In any case, these Nissans seem to hold their resale value very well....I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me, is you don't get alot horsepower for the price you pay. But at least you get a well made sports car.

Another car you might want to look at....is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T. Another sexy affordable asian sports car.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The 350Z is already very dated looking

The 370Z is A LOT better. Lower, wider, faster. Kind of has the same shape as a 911. I had one for 4 years.

370z has no back seats. There is a rear storage compartment in the hatch but it's not that big at all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't really see the Tiburon in styling, but everyone has got a different taste in what they like.

In any case, these Nissans seem to hold their resale value very well....I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me, is you don't get alot horsepower for the price you pay. But at least you get a well made sports car.

Another car you might want to look at....is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T. Another sexy affordable asian sports car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the pics!

-Emt1581

Not the G37?  Similar in pricing and more bells and whistles...namely a decent back seat.  

Hyundai left a bad taste in my mouth the last time I tested one.  The salesman just pissed me off with his cheesy tactics.  Might look at one in the future though.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not the G37?  Similar in pricing and more bells and whistles...namely a decent back seat.  

Hyundai left a bad taste in my mouth the last time I tested one.  The salesman just pissed me off with his cheesy tactics.  Might look at one in the future though.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the pics!

-Emt1581

Thanks

-Emt1581

I have never driven a G37 or Genesis Coupe either one...so my opinion doesn't mean jack.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a 300ZX

The G35 and G37 belong in a trashcan
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to have an 06 350z, and if you can be happy with the low HP it might be okay for you. The other thing to consider is the amount of money you have to throw at those cars to make them decent. It has a V6 and bolt on mods don't really give much hp for the money, the engines are also weak and can't handle forced induction with out being built and properly tuned $$$.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Nizmo 350Z;

Nizmo 370Z:

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Why are you asking this here and not on my350z.com or 370z.com?  I am a Nissan/Infiniti fanboy and to save you the time and trouble ill tell you to get a 370 all day long.  The 370z has an engine that is a generation newer, produces substantial more power with a flatter powerband,revs higher,  are lighter (in most cases), has auto rev (really cool, plus defeatable), and look better IMHO.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I used to have an 06 350z, and if you can be happy with the low HP it might be okay for you. The other thing to consider is the amount of money you have to throw at those cars to make them decent. It has a V6 and bolt on mods don't really give much hp for the money, the engines are also weak and can't handle forced induction with out being built and properly tuned $$$.
View Quote

That's pretty much what I've seen.  They are okay drivers from the factory but if you want any kind of speed/performance that's extra.  Still, used ones are SUPER cheap around here.  

Right now I'm still trying to figure out what is the perfect car for me in terms of lower end sports cars...something to start out with and to learn that'll let me have a ton of fun without needing to remortgage.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I drove a 2003 350Z Track model until 2011.  

As far as insurance goes, of course the 350 is cheaper.  They don't make it anymore so the set of cars to contribute to statistics is smaller.  The 350 was also  a fairly cheap car when it came out so it should be cheaper to repair and replace which also leads to lower insurance rates.

My take is this:  in 2005 or so, the 350z got a motor refresh which gave it a little more power.  If you can get the updated motor in the 350Z body, that is the way to go.  By the time Nissan made the 370Z, it gained too much weight to be a serious driver's car.   This is especially true if you consider the brakes, which have long been criticized in the 370.

A_Deuce
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's pretty much what I've seen.  They are okay drivers from the factory but if you want any kind of speed/performance that's extra.  Still, used ones are SUPER cheap around here.  

Right now I'm still trying to figure out what is the perfect car for me in terms of lower end sports cars...something to start out with and to learn that'll let me have a ton of fun without needing to remortgage.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Fprget the 350 and 370's.

Get a 240Z, it's cooler in every possible way.

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Now did you mean cooler or older?

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

-Emt1581

Cooler
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Cooler
View Quote

Oh ok, how so?

I thought you meant older because sometimes people just love age some cars have.  

I'm just curious where the 240z is superior or "cooler"?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I miss my 04 350Z...

Then I hit the gas on my 2013 Accord V6 and I don't miss her so much. And I can carry 5 adults inside too... And all my toys in the trunk.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I wish I had the coin for a new Z.

1971 240

78 280

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#21]

2008 with track edition wheels.

Few bolt on mods.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#22]
An original Z is cooler but if you want a car to actually daily drive...get a modern one. I love old iron but am not stupid enough to depend on it nor drive it in all weather.

I wish I lived somewhere that the flow of traffic was too fast for a 155ish mph car. It won't win bench racing but is certainly quick enough to be fun.It will never be a classic like the S30 but that's OKAY,you won't feel bad about using it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#23]
The 370 needs a turbo. For the cash there are way better deals. The engine sounds like a cement mixer at high revs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I've spent a lot of time driving 350Z's, both hard top and convertible.  My takeaway from them is that they are pretty fun, stiff, decently ballsy, loud, a bit on the fat side and a little unrefined.  If I were looking for a 2-seater convertible for under 10k, I'd get a 350Z.   It wouldn't snap your neck, but it definitely was fun to drive, no doubt about that. The styling is fairly aggressive (imo) and there's a pretty decent aftermarket on it.  The car is also pretty easy to work on--done a clutch, exhaust, upper control arms, and a few other things on them before and it was no harder than doing it on a Mustang.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks for the pics!

-Emt1581
View Quote

Study more

Post less
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#28]

2014 model still only 200 hp? I am disappoint.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Study more

Post less
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the pics!

-Emt1581

Study more

Post less

So because I commented on looks I need to study more?

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#30]
370 definitely looks better.  They're cool looking rides, certainly faster than my own car.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My car only has 200hp...at the crank.  But it is a 20 year old engine (just about).
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I had 2 350Zs (one S/C) and a 370Z. If I could do it all over again I would get an STi. I found the 370 to have even worse visibility and road noise for a marginal at best increase in performance. Brake issues abound, and I didnt like the fact that they skimped on the oil cooler, making it too easy to over heat and go into limp mode. IMO if you are set on a Z would be to try and find a nice Z with the HR motor in it which, also in my opinion, is the high point of the line.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll take the FT-86, you can keep your Z's. Z's plain and simple are just not cost effective.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Mine.
Boltons, big brakes, bigger A arms, Borla exhaust....still drives like its on rails.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
Well you're doing the right thing by researching, figure out what your long term goals are gonna be for the car. If you just want a stock mostly reliable car that you aren't ever gonna want to mod a 350z will be fine. If you're gonna end up with a car that you might take to a few track days and keep for more then ten years and put money into, I would go older and American. The after market for American cars is ridiculous and you'll get so much more for your money. Take a C3 vette for example, you can mod in stages and end up with a car that is under 3,000lbs and over 500hp for less then $10k, you aren't doing that with a 350z.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#36]
The correct answer is Subaru BRZ.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had 2 350Zs (one S/C) and a 370Z. If I could do it all over again I would get an STi. I found the 370 to have even worse visibility and road noise for a marginal at best increase in performance. Brake issues abound, and I didnt like the fact that they skimped on the oil cooler, making it too easy to over heat and go into limp mode. IMO if you are set on a Z would be to try and find a nice Z with the HR motor in it which, also in my opinion, is the high point of the line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

All 2012s and up have an oil cooler. Ive never heard of brake issues with mine but it was a sport package. OP if you want a 370 make sure it has the sport package.

Edit
Quoted:

Gross. Maybe with an LS2 in it
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice little cars. Engines are bullet proof too. Nissan uses/d it in many of their models (tuned differently of course)
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'll take the FT-86, you can keep your Z's. Z's plain and simple are just not cost effective.
View Quote

Speaking of cost effective.. BRZs or FRS are both close to 30k. A new base Z can be had for just under 30k and you get 130 more hp.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does that mean? You can get a clean Z for half the $.

I like the BRZ more but its more or less a fixed roof Miata,to me that's no bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Never driven one, but to me they look like boy racer and/or chick cars.

Just my take though, I don't know if you are 2fast or 2furious.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Why not just get a Subaru WRX STI? More ponies and AWD.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Mine.
Boltons, big brakes, bigger A arms, Borla exhaust....still drives like its on rails.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/woofumus/Zcar/woof019.jpg
View Quote

Where's your front plate?
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#44]
The Rear Spoiler on that NISMO 350 looks like it was pulled from a Grand Am.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I've never seen a Subaru since the SVX that didn't look like the orthopedic shoe of sports cars.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Barry's going through a second childhood / mid life crisis. Deal with it.

If I were you, I might hold out for a GT-R. I mean if I had my whole life and career ahead of me. Hey, they're practically giving them away (for money) LOL. I also have some "Z" brochures at home. If you want them, I'll bring them in. I looked at one the same day I bought my truck. I looked at the price tag and said to myself, "Hey, I can afford that!" But I needed the truck more than an excuse to go fast (got the bike for that).

MikeyC
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine.

Who uses front plates?
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Subaru BRZ... for those times where you absolutely, positively have to get to 60mph in 7 seconds.  Accept no substitutes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine.

This is Texas
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well you're doing the right thing by researching, figure out what your long term goals are gonna be for the car.  
View Quote

Problem is, that I've been searching for the right car for me for a few years now.  

First it was a 944, but those were cars that morons who had no business owning sports cars bought in the 80's, beat the shit out of them, so now 90% of them are money pits!

Then it was a 69-71 Chevelle SS, although they have muscle, they are just boats of cars that don't really compare to modern technology in several areas...super easy to work on though!  

But the 350Z and now 370Z...that's the closest I've come to nailing it.  But for the money there seems to be better options out there now that I've dug deeper.

See what I really would love is something compact but with 4 seats (2 seats is fine but 4 would mean my wife and son could ride along), 250-300hp, 0-60 in 6-8secs...basically something that would burn the vast majority of coupes and sedans.  And hell my stock  03 Sunfire used to do that...but the BMW's, Audi's, and some VW's used to cream me in both acceleration and top speed for a duration.  I also want to be able to do well at the track with handling and minimal under/over steering.  

Thanks

-Emt1581

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top