Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2002 6:39:31 PM EDT
Come on guys, cut the sh*t.  If someone wants to serve in the Air Force let them go, maybe they don't want to be a Marine or an Army Ranger or something like that.  Why do some of you have to make it sound like people who join the AF are a bunch of p*ssies.  They made the choice to serve their country, let them be.  I bet some of you who are bitching about the AF probably have not even made that step.  I think we should give credit to all who serve in uniform, not just a select few who think they are better then the others because they fight on the ground in worse conditions.
I'm a Jr. in highschool trying to decide which branch to join when I graduate.  Reading all this BS doesn't make any of them look good.  

[soapbox]   [stick]
-Marksman
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Marksman, did you catch the beginning of all this? Air Force guys are complaining about the quality of their laundry service and volleyball equipment while deployed in trashcanastan. We're simply laughing at them for whining.

Besides, intraservice rivalry is a simple fact of life, and actually does quite a bit of good when properly channeled. I'ts an inescapable fact of human nature that a group bonds better and becomes a more cohesive and effective unit when presented with "outsiders". REMFs will always consider line grunts to be uncouth, guys at the sharp end of the stick will always consider REMFs soft, yadda yadda yadda. Those who get their panties in a bunch over it need to lighten up, and take in the bigger picture.

Good luck on your enlistment, whatever branch you go with. Do your research, get everything on your contract before you sign, and remember, YOUR RECRUITER IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!!!
Take care.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Marksman, It's ok I was AF, Rivalry is what keeps us all going. The problem is that these guys jumped the chain of command and that is a big NO NO in all branches.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If hi-tech is your thing, it can be had in all services...

I will say this, I have worked with plenty of soldiers and NG guys that respect the Corps, and a common phrase I hear is "I wuzzint crazy enough..."  I happen to take that as a complement[:d]  I even knew Army dawgs at what the Army calls ATI and we call MOS school, these guys would say aint no way I could go through what you guys did....also another complement.  We were in the line at the chow hall one morning there and heard some Army dawgs amongst each other saying "man those Marines think they're the shit don't they"  my buddy taps one on the sholder, without missin a beat and says "that would be because WE ARE the shit..."  They didn't have  anything to say to that either...

Truth is all branches have their own pride, just none more than the Corps.[:d] This rivalry is good for the men's morale!

My advice is not to be scared outta joining the corps and spend the rest of your life wishing and wondering if you coudda gone Marine!

"Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?"
View Quote

Gunnery Sgt. Dan Daley...
as he led the 5th Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918 (this is where the germans gave us the term devildawg...)

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I qualified for every MOS in every branch, I choose the Marines. That was my choice, but when I hear other people state that they were so friggin bright,,that they in essence had no choice but to be in the rear with the gear, and could not muster the balls to actually state that(navy/air force members note: not all)they are just plain old smarter than the guys with the balls/guts to actually get down and dirty.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Marksman, did you catch the beginning of all this? Air Force guys are complaining about the quality of their laundry service and volleyball equipment while deployed in trashcanastan. We're simply laughing at them for whining.
View Quote

Two (2) Guys that were TDY for a couple of days took the pictures. They were not even assigned to that base. So you FEEL the need to SMEAR the whole Frickin AF.

Don't give me this crap that the guys at this base were complaining about the volleyball nets. I suppose you think the .223 is a high power "sniper round". It must be true the media says so.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:46:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I qualified for every MOS in every branch, I choose the Marines. That was my choice,
View Quote

ahh....but the worst score for the AF qualifies for every branch.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I am ex-Navy. My little bro is in the Chair Force in Japan.

Rivalry? You bet!
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Two (2) Guys that were TDY for a couple of days took the pictures. They were not even assigned to that base. So you FEEL the need to SMEAR the whole Frickin AF.

Don't give me this crap that the guys at this base were complaining about the volleyball nets. I suppose you think the .223 is a high power "sniper round". It must be true the media says so.
View Quote

'I didn't "smear the whole frickin AF", I laughed at the article, and then yanked the chains of those who attempted to defend such whining. Gotta say though, I'm glad to see you post something containing more than an insult. Welcome to the conversation.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b][size=4]?[/b][/size=4]
Huh?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#11]
About 15 years ago I went to visit two of my friends.  One was an enlisted man at Fort Ord.  The other was an elisted man at Edwards AFB.  The guy at Ord had people yelling at him all the time and bunked in a little room with 6 other guys.  There was a lot or racial tension and they had to march all over the place carrying heavy stuff.  The guy at Edwards worked 9-5, he had his own air-conditioned office, and shared an on-base apartment with one other guy.

You can call guys in the airforce names if you want, but I do not think you can call them stupid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I was USAF, fixing jets in the jungle, long, long ago.  We flew F105's, F4's, F111A's, A7's and C130 gunships and I was expected to be an expert on all of them.  In those days there was a sense of teamwork and accomplishment, within the USAF and among the other services.  Yes, there was a lot of rivalry among the branches, but it was always good natured and everyone pulled together to get the job done.  It sounds like maybe the USAF has gone down hill in many ways, or at least changed dramatically.  From Paul's observation it seems that specialization in the USAF has been taken to a ridiculous degree.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#13]
One of my best friends from high school is an AF reservist who is still going to the Citadel in SC...

He told me that his MOS school (whatever the AF calls it) they had a computer with an internet connection in all the rooms....

What the fuck, over!  I remember living in a barracks in Yuma, AZ that had been condemned and re-opened after the gulf war...The Marines were happy as hell when they installed phones in 98'

Fuckin internet airmen....

We can also look at things this way, a kicker is more likely to be a pussy, but the team  still needs them too...

BTW stop takin shit so personal, I enjoy a constant rivalry with the NG guy in the office next door...he knows he was in the inferior service...

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Man, apples and oranges...the AF are not supposed to be Grunts, so why give them shit?
Of course the whining is another issue...the old saying still stands, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."..................

If it was for the Air Force, I'd be a fucking LEG!!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I was an AF avionics tech (T32651C) in the 1970's working on F-111s.  Back then, they taught THEORY and expected you to repair equipment to the component level.  We weren't specialized then.  We were swapped to tanker branch or other maintenance duties when needed.  The writing was on the wall in the late 70's with the F-15 program.  Mostly the equipment repair was "monkey pushee button-swappee circuit board" stuff.

I also think that the current folks in the AF were brought up to expect the cushy stuff, the [s]lyin' bastards[/s] recruiters promise them the easy life.

I went into the AF with the [s]lie[/s]  , promise to finish college and get commissioned and get flight training. None of that happened.  I did learn alot about troubleshooting and also not to like ROTC officers.

I can still fix toasters and TVs, too.[;D]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[b][size=4]?[/b][/size=4]
Huh?
View Quote

Go easy on him Carbine, we're helping him make the switch from flinging insults to supported debate gradually. I'm proud of the progress he's showing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top