Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2013 9:31:04 AM EDT
Would you shit a pony and run for the airport if Lurch and his band of merry men issued a State Dept. travel warning for the country you're in?
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]
No, but I wouldn't expect the US to do anything if anything were to happen to me.  The Whine Haus wouldn't even intervene to protect an ambassador.  A real president would have sent in the Marines.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Mexico - meh, I'll take my chances in the tourist spots.

Somalia - yeah, they probably got that one figured out correctly.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Ignore the warning, you are on your own.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
They're apparently not heeded by their ambassadors.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I travel around the globe reasonably often and I read and consider the warnings but I let the news and an internet search be my ultimate guide. I do not take unnecessary chances such as going to Egypt this weekend but I would not be that concerned in Istanbul even with the recent warnings. (edit - Istanbul is not on the list now)

I was in Athens during some of the riots last year, most of the pictures you seen were right around the hotel I stayed in. I of course stayed out of them as getting anywhere near the riots is begging for trouble but the next morning, I had my breakfast with the locals less than a block away and was warmly welcomed. The problem was with the government, not me and of course the money we send there is welcomed.

Should I have been in some muslim shit storm in the middle east - I am sure I would not have been safe. Let the location/situation be your guide.

Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
What difference does it make!?
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I suppose I would actually look at what the travel warning said.

A travel warning does not necessarily mean "do not travel here."  They usually give a pretty good breakdown of the problem regions, etc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Well... after reviewing this list, I probably would agree to avoiding all those listed.

Possibly not Israel (avoiding the west bank) and MAYBE some tourist areas of Mexico (this is a stretch now days and to the rest of it - no chance)

Honduras is the same as Mexico. I have friends that feel safe down there (native spanish speaking) but I have been there twice - I have no desire to ever go again.

So... Where are you thinking of going?
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Hell no gear up and go run around like Rambo on 4loco and downs
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#11]
hey john, why the long face?

what a fucking joke these folks are.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Travel warnings are as political as the IRS.

They dont like you they warn Americans,

They like you it doesnt matter how much danger there is on the ground, we'll still let you go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mexico - meh, I'll take my chances in the tourist spots.

Somalia - yeah, they probably got that one figured out correctly.  
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the way it has always been.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They like you it doesnt matter how much danger there is on the ground, we'll still let you go.
View Quote

I invite you to point out an example.

And what do you mean by "let you go?"
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Warning or not I wouldn't go to any of those places.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Irrespective of the warning, you are most likely on your own in any shit-hole, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I take travel warning about as serious as I take OBumma.. Not at all. If you are that ignorant of what's going on somewhere you intend to travel and need the .gov to tell you not to you're a Moron and deserve to prepare your anus or beheading whichever comes first.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I take travel warning about as serious as I take OBumma.. Not at all. If you are that ignorant of what's going on somewhere you intend to travel and need the .gov to tell you not to you're a Moron and deserve to prepare your anus or beheading whichever comes first.
View Quote

Well gee, one way to not be ignorant is to... read the travel warnings.  Who'da thunk it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nonsense.

The State Department is very reluctant to do so and will not issue one until well past a point in time people should probably go some place else.

Egypt is a case and point - we have been trying to encourage tourists to go right up until the end of June of this year.  Even if everything is straightened out tomorrow Egypt's tourism will suffer for years from this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top