User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/14/2013 11:39:45 PM EDT
[posts of illegal activities - warning issued - Paul]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Simple question. I've got a $40 Chinese radio, no licence & an itchy transmit finger.

Who is coming to shoot my dog?

Why should I pay for the priviledge of talking on a radio?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

You won't.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Simple question. I've got a $40 Chinese radio, no licence & an itchy transmit finger.

View Quote

Funny avatar for the foxhunters... LOL

I've spent all the hours reading that $45 thread.

I've known a couple of hams in my life, both old men with nothing better to do. I wouldn't try it.

Well, maybe a couple times, but if you interfere they will find you. It's not difficult.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If you do FO, start saying off random numbers and codes in a slavic, robotic tone.

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've known a couple of hams in my life, both old men with nothing better to do. I wouldn't try it.

Well, maybe a couple times, but if you interfere they will find you. It's not difficult.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, and then what? Call the radio police? No proof, i'd tell em to eat a dick

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
While it is pretty rare, if you do piss off the FCC sufficiently, expect TENS of thousands of dollars in fines.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't do it while at your house.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
We won't shoot you dog, but we will hunt you down and rat your ass out to the FCC. Your $40.00 radio may cost you just a bit more in fines. The ham community is very adept at tracking down trespassers.

Here is just one recent example for you to ponder.

FCC Issues $10,000 Fine to Missouri Man for Unlicensed Operation on 14.312 MHz

03/08/2013

On February 25, the FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) in the amount of $10,000 to Jared A. Bruegman, ex-KC0IQN, of Bolivar, Missouri. The FCC said that Bruegman “apparently and willfully violated Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended by operating an unlicensed radio transmitter on the frequency 14.312 MHz in Bolivar, Missouri.” Bruegman -- who does not currently hold an Amateur Radio license -- was operating in the phone portion of the 20 meter band that is assigned to the Amateur Radio Service on a primary basis; his Amateur Radio license expired in 2010. As a former Technician class licensee, he did not have privileges to operate in that portion of the 20 meter band when he held an Amateur Radio license.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... get an understanding of how ham operates. Yes, they'll find you and turn you in if you're unlicensed. Someone from the FCC WILL show up and demand to examine your license. No license? $$$$$$ in fines.

Ham radio self-polices and co-operates with the FCC. Ham isn't CB.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We won't shoot you dog, but we will hunt you down and rat your ass out to the FCC. Your $40.00 radio may cost you just a bit more in fines. The ham community is very adept at tracking down trespassers.

03/08/2013

On February 25, the FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) in the amount of $10,000 to Jared A. Bruegman, ex-KC0IQN, of Bolivar, Missouri. The FCC said that Bruegman “apparently and willfully violated Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended by operating an unlicensed radio transmitter on the frequency 14.312 MHz in Bolivar, Missouri.” Bruegman -- who does not currently hold an Amateur Radio license -- was operating in the phone portion of the 20 meter band that is assigned to the Amateur Radio Service on a primary basis; his Amateur Radio license expired in 2010. As a former Technician class licensee, he did not have privileges to operate in that portion of the 20 meter band when he held an Amateur Radio license.
View Quote

And they wonder why it is a dying industry/hobby or whatever.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Who's gonna stop me?
View Quote

Who's gonna talk to you?

Non-hams who try to use the ham bands generally get ignored - at least until they're tracked down.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

03/08/2013

It has more to do with preserving spectrum for public use. Ever notice the news articles every 6 months or so about the AT&T's, Verizons, municipalites, etc., all vying for and willing to pay billions for a greater slice of spectrum? Hams stand up against that.

They may very well be fudds, but they stand up for and protect the citizen's right to a share of the spectrum just as vigorously as the NRA does for the 2A.

SW / ham operators are invaluable during natural disasters. I'd imagine they'll be even more valuable during, let's say, "man-made" disasters.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Your mom. You've got one hell of a spanking coming up when you crawl out of the basement.

Who's paying to talk on ham radio? It's not a pay-license like commercial services or GMRS. But then since you are unlicensed and appear to have no interest in actually knowing what you're talking about, I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't be a dick. They will find you if you really piss them off.

And it's a dying industry because of better(easier) communication methods not because its populated by crotchety old men.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

03/08/2013

Really!  You do know that there are more Hams now than at any other time in history, right?

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Lots of people will say that HAM's  will be the top form of communication during a SHTF situation.
If that's the case, learn the basics of how to operate a HAM on google  & when shit does go down you won't have to worry about licenses, fines & all that shite. [BD

I would like to know how to use one just for the sake of knowing how to use one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOL... get an understanding of how ham operates. Yes, they'll find you and turn you in if you're unlicensed. Someone from the FCC WILL show up and demand to examine your license. No license? $$$$$$ in fines.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get fucking real, explain to me how someone is going to come find someone else, on a street of houses. Then call the FCC with no absolute proof and magically the FCC squad car is going to show up at that house. Sorry, Mr. FCC  i don't have any idea what you're talking about. HAM radio? No, i did have some ham sandwiches last week. Hell, it might not even be the person living in the house.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#17]
How could they even prove it was the same person, anyone could disguise their voice. They caught that dude, it probably wasnt too hard to identify him as he HAD been an operator before.

HAM sandwiches = Serious Business
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Get fucking real, explain to me how someone is going to come find someone else, on a street of houses. Then call the FCC with no absolute proof and magically the FCC squad car is going to show up at that house. Sorry, Mr. FCC  i don't have any idea what you're talking about. HAM radio? No, i did have some ham sandwiches last week. Hell, it might not even be the person living in the house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, triangulation is just a made up thing. Never works IRL.

Actually it can be done by one person with your same $40 Chinese handheld. Just takes a little longer.

But I'm not trying to stop you, by any means. Go ahead and broadcast all you want.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Foxhunting, look it up, then the FCC drags out their spectrum analyzing van that can pin point transmission to within less than a foot. Like I said, you really have to piss them off, but if you do, look out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]

"We've triangulated his position, we have choppers inbound" Lol seriously, lets say you find the house. Then what? FCC no knock warrant? Highly unlikely, they'll knock on the door and hope someone answers. Sounds to me like all of this is dependent on someone continually broadcasting. But, go ahead keep jacking off to your foxhunt fantasy. Maybe the FCC will send you a junior G-Man badge
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:46:38 AM EDT
[#21]
[personal attack removed - warning issued]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Well of course, but most spectrum trolls never shut the fuck up, making it real easy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thats assuming the person keeps it up LONG enough, a few times hit and run. You boys can suck it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Foxhunting, look it up, then the FCC drags out their spectrum analyzing van that can pin point transmission to within less than a foot. Like I said, you really have to piss them off, but if you do, look out.

Thats assuming the person keeps it up LONG enough, a few times hit and run. You boys can suck it

What's the point of breaking squelch a few times? To who? To what purpose? Just to fuck with everyone else? Troll-like?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's the deal sunshine.....its your money. Play stupid games and you most certainly will win a silly prize.

Stay off the ham bands and don't even think about jamming public service frequencies either.

You might have an itchy finger, but the unintended consequences of foolish actions may be more than you bargained for.

Section 301 of the Communications Act prohibits the ``use or operat[ion of] any apparatus for the transmission of energy or communications or signals by radio'' without a license issued by the Federal Communications Commission. Thus, generally, in order to use or operate a radio station, the Communications Act requires that you first obtain a license by the FCC. There are certain limited exceptions. For example, the Commission has provided blanket authorization to operators of CB radio, radio control stations, and domestic ship and aircraft radios. In addition, the Commission has authorized the operation of certain low power radios pursuant to Part 15 of the Commission's Rules. Thus, operators of these radio facilities are not required to have individual licenses. However, these operators are required to operate their stations in a manner consistent with the Commission's operational and technical rules for those services.

The Commission takes enforcement of Section 301 seriously. Parties found operating radio stations without FCC authorization will be subject to a variety of enforcement actions including seizure of equipment, imposition of monetary forfeitures, ineligibility to hold any FCC license, and criminal penalties.

Link to recent enforcement actions. FCC Link
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#25]
People that do this remind me of sixteen year olds in daddy's pickup talking shit on CB.  

Seriously, getting a license isn't hard at all.  And if you want to troll go to YouTube.com and have your way with the comments section.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What's the point of breaking squelch a few times? To who? To what purpose? Just to fuck with everyone else? Troll-like?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats basically what i got from the OP, like i said i'd be on QRZ.com practicing if i wanted to broadcast
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't talk about it, do it. Let us know how it goes. I just don't get it though.  What are you actually going to do? Fart over the airwaves?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't talk about it, do it. Let us know how it goes. I just don't get it though.  What are you actually going to do? Fart over the airwaves?
View Quote

I did laugh at that
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:55:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I've personally worked on minibus's that Old Retired Guys use.
The FCC pays them to triangulate on unlicensed transmissions.
I think they are the "Dog the Bounty Hunter of the Airwaves"
With all the bandwave shifts and the fiscal urgency,
"Savior Faire is Everywhere"
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ever hear of a concept called "triangulation"?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've personally worked on minibus's that Old Retired Guys use.
The FCC pays them to triangulate on unlicensed transmissions.
I think they are the "Dog the Bounty Hunter of the Airwaves"
With all the bandwave shifts and the fiscal urgency,
"Savior Faire is Everywhere"
View Quote

Do you have proof of the bolded statement?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Hell, might as well.just get a radio that you can program to any frequency.  Never know when you are gonna need to talk to fire or police personnel right?

Truth is there are probably tons of people out there with such capability but as noted by others here, the smart ones dont wind up acting like trolls.

Yes, random asshats wind up on my departments radio frequency and some of them do get tracked down but i have no clue how.

Moral of story is if you have capability and value it keeping it, even if you dont pay for license, dont be stupid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:37:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I will premise the following by stating I really have no understanding of the whole HAM radio thing.

I Have always been confused on why one must pay in order to get on a radio and try to contact someone on the other side of the world.

I mean it sounds like it could be a fun hobby, however I really am confused on the whole pay for permission thing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:09:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I will premise the following by stating I really have no understanding of the whole HAM radio thing.

I Have always been confused on why one must pay in order to get on a radio and try to contact someone on the other side of the world.

I mean it sounds like it could be a fun hobby, however I really am confused on the whole pay for permission thing.
View Quote

It is 15 dollars to take the test (you can take just the Tech test or the first two or even all three, still 15 bucks), the license you get is valid for 10 years from the date of issuance.

The license works out to a buck fifty a year, hardly a big profit driver for the government.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:10:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#36]
The cost of the license is minimal compared to what you spend on equipment.
The reason for a license is that:
  The government decided the frequencies available for various uses belong to the people of this country, some for TV, some broadcast radio, some aircraft, etc.
  The FCC was set up to parcel-out sections of the frequency spectrum to various users to prevent interference between them, which was a problem before the FCC got involved.
  The FCC also set up standards for performance of equipment, again to try to prevent users from interfering with other users.
  The FCC also set up knowledge requirements, varying between uses, to make sure that users had the skills to keep their equipment working as designed.
  The license ensures that you, at least when you took the various tests, had the technical skill to operate your transmitter(s) in accordance with FCC rules and regulations.

State governments require you to have a drivers license to drive a car/truck on public streets.  An FCC ham license allows you to operate transmitters in the spectrum allotted to ham radio.

Cliff notes: ham license is like a driver's license, but for transmitting radio signals.

Lots more info in the Ham Radio forum under Outdoors
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#37]
CoC  #4...?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:36:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a simple test to ensure that you are operating safely within the ham bands and not interfering with other frequencies. Your whopping $15 goes towards paper handling of the license and managing the call sign database I assume.  If there was no regulation/verification process, all frequencies would essentially be unusable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:46:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:50:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I bought two Motorola el-cheapo GMRS radios.  I got the license.

What can I say, I'm an adult.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:53:58 AM EDT
[#41]
My mothers husband (not my father) told me about how he had a very powerful ham radio years ago. He was careful with it and used it rarely as he knew it was illegal. While at work his wife at the time hopped on it and was yacking a bunch apparently. Long story short, a car loaded with antenna's had been driving up and down that road and around the neighborhood. She called and told him this, he told her to shut down the radio etc. Anyhow, somehow they were able to track it down to his house, they knocked on the door, lights were out she didnt answer, they staked out the house for the whole night. Left a note with a number to call. When he  called the guy was not even from this state. Was able to even tell him what model radio it was etc. They can find you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#42]
As an RF Engineer there are very few things I despise more that HAM "operators".

However operating without a license is is pretty much like saying "I'm going to cut my AR barrel to less than 16 inches, who is going to catch me?" there is a good chance you will not get caught, but if you do prepare for Uncle Sugars unlubed pickle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Just my .02, but in my small town alone I have been involved in 2 incidents with the FCC.  The first was a guy that bought a cell phone jammer.  He was about 500 meters from a cell tower.  FCC showed up with a warrant and seized his gear.  I don't know if they fined him or not, but I do know he was literally fucking up cell communications with the tower.  His excuse, he was jamming the local drug dealers phones (he did live in a high drug area.)  Second incident, guy was keying up on our LEO freq, making stupid statements, acting like an asshat.  He was totally random and it was infrequent but a nuisance.  FCC found him about a week after we called them.  Again, all his toys got seized but I have no info on fines or other penalties.  I do know we haven't heard from him since.  I too bought a $45 radio, and I have it programmed to all our frequencies in the county and the local ham repeater.  I'm working on my license and I am not going to invite the man into my house just to prove something not worth proving.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#45]
It must be fun to be so special. Rules don't apply and you can crap in anybody's house whenever and where ever you like. It must be fun to be so special.
Tell you what smart guy.
Why don't you start talking. Then get back to us on how it went.
Don't be a hit and run artist. Be a man. Get on the radio and start babbling away. Even use a fake call sign.
Your actions are an insult to everybody who decided to do the right thing and took the time and effort to take a simple test that cost less then a Happy Meal for 2.
But you're so special.
Here's something else you can do. Why don't challenge the FCC to find you. How about a nice game of Fox and Hounds. You and your radio against the old farts and their triangulation gear. Sounds like fun doesn't it. Since you're so special it shouldn't be hard to outfox a bunch of senile old farts.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FCC.  Regarding proof, you've heard of something called a tape recorder?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:23:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:26:03 AM EDT
[#49]
No balls.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Another way that non-HAMs may learn to appreciate HAM operators.....

Look into the Weatherman from the Baja races.

He's the man.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top