Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2002 5:45:28 AM EDT
Has anyone successfully imported a so-called assault weapon under the current laws? Just curious. Thanks.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The only time I am personally aware of was by the Clinton Admin.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The only exemption allowed is for use by the movie industry or law enforcement. Only CADOJ licensed AW dealers are allowed to do the deed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking about this yesterday. I could have sworn you could import AWs into CA as long as you either give/sell them to an AW dealer, or register them, within 90 days. Maybe that was after the first time they tried to ban them... but a lot has changed-- I don't know.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was thinking about this yesterday. I could have sworn you could import AWs into CA as long as you either give/sell them to an AW dealer, or register them, within 90 days. Maybe that was after the first time they tried to ban them... but a lot has changed-- I don't know.
View Quote

An individual who is just moving to the state can import any personal HANDGUN that isn't classified as an AW, including ones that are not on the state's list of handguns certified for sale in the state.

Here's the official poop on handguns.  Be prepared to puke when you see the graphic on this page:  [url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/ab991.htm[/url]

There is no way for an individual to import an AW legally without getting a permit to do so.  I've never heard of any permits being issued
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought it said somewhere that an out of state resident can import an "AW" in with a visitation permit.  This allows out of state residents to compete in shooting matches.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I am sure Don Perata has gotten an exemption
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#7]

[:(!]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has anyone successfully imported a so-called assault weapon under the current laws? Just curious. Thanks.

CRC
View Quote

I am sure that many kalidiots have used the exemption called "out of state private sale".
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought it said somewhere that an out of state resident can import an "AW" in with a visitation permit.  This allows out of state residents to compete in shooting matches.  
View Quote

The law does allow one to bring a firearm classified as an AW into the state for the purpose of approved competition, i.e, NRA High Power matches, etc. NO permit or anything else is required for such activity. But you can't just cruise around the state. In other words, after the match you're not supposed to go to Disneyland for three days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top