Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2002 12:36:48 PM EDT

Proposal: Register Beer Kegs

Oct 30, 2002 3:42 pm US/Eastern
(1010 WINS)-(ELMSFORD, N.Y.)-A state lawmaker opened another front Wednesday in the battle against underage drinking in Westchester by suggesting that the county be allowed to require an elaborate registration process for every keg of beer.

Assemblyman Richard Brodsky said he has introduced a bill that would set up a keg tracking system, run by the State Liquor Authority, to help police find out who is selling alcohol to minors.

Any county could then opt into the system, but the bill specifically mentions Westchester, where drunken high schoolers in upscale towns have been involved in some nightmarish incidents:

--In April, a 17-year-old boy at an unsupervised beer bash in Harrison died when he hit his head on a patio during a fight. One student was arrested and police said others lied about where the fight occurred, tried to hide evidence of the party and delayed calling 911.

--Nine members of the Harrison football team were suspended for drinking at another party in September.

--Also last month, about 200 students arrived drunk at the Scarsdale High School homecoming dance after parties in private homes, and five had to be hospitalized.

On Monday, District Attorney Jeanine Pirro, armed with computer files seized in a raid on an alleged document mill, gave county teens 30 days to turn in fake identifications or risk the loss of any real driver's license. County Executive Andrew Spano has called parents, principals and student leaders to a Dec. 11 "summit meeting" on underage drinking.

"These communities have been in denial about the extent of it," Brodsky said at his Elmsford office. "They're no longer in denial. We all know now that we need to do better in preventing teenagers from gaining access to alcohol. We need to act now, before any other children or parents must suffer."

Under the law, every keg of beer -- or any other container of four gallons or more -- sold in the county would have a registration number recorded in Albany. When a keg is sold at retail, the seller would record the number of the keg, the name and address of the buyer and the number of the driver's license or other evidence of age provided when the keg is purchased.

Brodsky said 11 percent of the beer sold in New York state is sold in kegs, and a disproportionate amount of that goes toward young people.

"When cops bust a beer party, they would find the keg and the keg would have a number on it and that number would be registered so they would go back to the person who sold the keg," Brodsky said. Depending on who bought the beer, prosecutors could then charge the retailer for selling alcohol to minors or any adult who bought the beer and gave kids access to it.

He said the law "is not a substitute for good parenting or good behavior, but it's a way, when things break down, that we can find who the responsible parties are and make sure that adults who enable kids to drink are punished."

Besides existing penalties for providing alcohol to minors, the bill includes a jail sentence of up to three months for failing to go along with the registration system.

Michael Vacek, president of the state Beer Wholesalers Association in Albany, said Brodsky's proposal is "a political but not a practical solution."

"Kegs move from state to state," he said. "They don't lend themselves to tags from one state. You could even ban kegs and I have a feeling kids will find alternative packaging. This doesn't solve the problem of underage drinking because the first line of defense should be parental involvement and supervision."

"Hopefully it's a deterrent," Brodsky said. "But it will put people in jail if we have to because in the end, adults who enable kids to drink have to be taken seriously and harshly treated."
View Quote

[url]http://1010wins.com/topstories/StoryFolder/story_1684941320_html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
This would have wreaked havoc on my college years.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
And that works how?

Most of the beer ive seen minors drink is of the bottle/can variety, its very rare to see a bunch of kids with a keg.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
First registration then they're coming for your kegs.  Like the old cliche says, when beer kegs are outlawed only outlaws will have beer kegs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First registration then they're coming for your kegs.  Like the old cliche says, when beer kegs are outlawed only outlaws will have beer kegs.
View Quote

They better not come after my kegs, if they know whats good for them [}:D]
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/CAPITALIST/Beerkeg.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
They already have that in the Peoples Republic of Boulder. If it saves just one life it is worth any amount of hassle! Boulder is also now a bird sanctuary, if you kill a sparrow you go to jail! Yeah! God I can not wait to get the hell out of here.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Several states already have laws requiring registration of beer kegs to try to keep them away from minors. From what I hear they laughable.

All you'd have to do is scrape the numbers off of the keg after you bought it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I work for the local government in a two-college town. They regulated kegs like this law did several years ago.

All kegs sold in the town MUST have the label and who bought it. What do the kids do? Go 4 miles outside of town limits and buy it!

Beer Laws are like gun laws....

Link Posted: 10/30/2002 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember if all kegs are outlawed,
only outlaws will have kegs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/CAPITALIST/Beerkeg.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Hmmmmm, imagine that baby filled with Tannerite!
[}:D]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

[imj]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/CAPITALIST/Beerkeg.jpg[/imj]
View Quote

Dude, I want to party with you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Register kegs? That's is fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Partys rarely use kegs.  Us younguns usually get a bunch of 30 packs and a few handles of the hard stuff.  We don't need no stinkin kegs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't pursued this story beyond what was written in the copied article, but this is just a suggestion, right?  One man's bill introduction?  Hasn't happened yet, has it?

Quoted:
They already have that in the Peoples Republic of Boulder. If it saves just one life it is worth any amount of hassle! Boulder is also now a bird sanctuary, if you kill a sparrow you go to jail! Yeah! God I can not wait to get the hell out of here.
View Quote

"Sleighbells ring. . . are ya listenin'. . ."

Yes, the kegs have an ID on the side of the barrel, and the buyer person can be prosecuted for liquor infractions, but what's the big deal?  As far as I'm concerned, it just makes sure that the purchaser gets the deposit back after the party's over.  

Upset that you can't trash The Hill after the Nebraska game and could get in trouble if you set fire to your furniture in the street?  Gimme a break.  Lots of petty complaints.  Boulder is consistently rated among the best, if not the best, place in the US to live, to raise a family, to be an athlete, to start a business, to retire.  How many museums?  How many drama and music and dance festivals?  How many hundreds of miles hiking and biking trails?  How many tens of thousands of Open Space acres?  How much sun?  Bolder Boulder?  How hard to get a CCW permit?  How far to Lefthand Canyon where you can blast away with your Class III weapons all day long?  Look, even the Buffs are undefeated in conference games despite their rough off-field behavior.

Get out of the seedy Pub on Pearl basement, RickyJ, take a look at the Flatirons, see how magnificent this place is, realize how lucky you are to live in this world-class small town, and stop moaning about keg beer and killing songbirds.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Dude, you are not alone!

[url]www.maddmn.org/madd-legislation/keg.html[/url]

Other states with keg registration law: California, Connecticut, Washington DC,
   Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, North Dakota, Washington State,
   Oregon, Utah, Missouri, Vermont, Virginia, and New Mexico.

I vaguely remember when this happened in CA about 6-7 years ago.  Lots of places stopped selling them which was the intention of the law just like AW's.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Now that I see that MADD is involved the, reasoning behind this is that MADD is an origination bent on prohibition.Originally
they were on a mission to punish drunk
drivers,not any more.
check;www.consumerfreedom.com
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Man, thats just fuckin' gay.[rolleyes]

-T.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I haven't pursued this story beyond what was written in the copied article, but this is just a suggestion, right?  One man's bill introduction?  Hasn't happened yet, has it?

Quoted:
View Quote

"Sleighbells ring. . . are ya listenin'. . ."

Yes, the kegs have an ID on the side of the barrel, and the buyer person can be prosecuted for liquor infractions, but what's the big deal?  As far as I'm concerned, it just makes sure that the purchaser gets the deposit back after the party's over.  
View Quote

Yeah, you sound like a typical boulderite, "what's the big deal?" Who cares about a little bit of government intrusion. The only people who don't like big government are criminals. [whacko]

Upset that you can't trash The Hill after the Nebraska game and could get in trouble if you set fire to your furniture in the street?  Gimme a break.  Lots of petty complaints.
View Quote

ummm.... okay. I have never been in a Hill riot, and I don't think that registering kegs is going to stop those who do. Does it? Or have there been riots since kegs were registered?

Boulder is consistently rated among the best, if not the best, place in the US to live, to raise a family, to be an athlete, to start a business, to retire.  How many museums?  How many drama and music and dance festivals?  How many hundreds of miles hiking and biking trails?  How many tens of thousands of Open Space acres?  How much sun?  Bolder Boulder?  [red]How hard to get a CCW permit?[/red]
View Quote

I honestly have not looked into it. How hard is it? Easier than Colorado Springs? Please give me more information, if it is reasonably easy I would love get a CCW permit.

How far to Lefthand Canyon where you can blast away with your Class III weapons all day long?  Look, even the Buffs are undefeated in conference games despite their rough off-field behavior.

Get out of the seedy Pub on Pearl basement, RickyJ, take a look at the Flatirons, see how magnificent this place is, realize how lucky you are to live in this world-class small town, and stop moaning about keg beer and killing songbirds.
View Quote

I don't know what the personal attack is about but I do not go to seedy pubs. This town is beautiful in many ways, I love the Flatirons, it is a beautiful city. The bike trails are great, the air is clean. I did not say that any of these were not true. What I dislike is the political climate. Boulder is filled with a bunch of rich kid wannabe hippies who drive around in their SUVs and cry "save the rainforest". They complain about being "persecuted" for smoking pot while they hold a smokeout in Farrand field on 4-20 without any police action. Allard protesters are arrested before Strickland rallies start. I am tired of the whiners and the pseudo hippies. I love the physical area but even Nazi Germany had some physically beautiful places to live, or was Bavaria transformed into some surface hell while Hitler was in power?

Oh yeah, going to jail for six (yes 6) months for killing one (yes 1) sparrow is not "petty".
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Well if they have to be empty before they stamp them,Id be glad to come out and help.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Better buy em up guys... Someday those preban kegs will be worth a lot. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude Move south... South of Monument Hill (the Douglas/El Paso County line) things get much better. We have CCW, and they sign for the NFA toys.

As for the NY Keg registration system - I think the BATF should form a full oversite taskforce there. They need to document the feasibility of "Tap fingerprinting" to be able to identify which partys have tapped that keg.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#21]
ProfGAB101, Colorado Springs is where I was born and raised I just live up here cause thats where the schoolin' is. And yes it is a hell of a lot better down there. Hell I had more than 5 places I could buy a gun down there within a three mile radius of my house. And [red]never[/red] had to fill out a government form to buy a keg.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Been doing it in Wa for years.  Funny since highschool haven't bought too many kegs.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I’m afraid that I’m not clever enough to post this with the quotes intact, but do want to reply this early morning.  Your posts will be bold:

[b]R”ummm.... okay. I have never been in a Hill riot, and I don't think that registering kegs is going to stop those who do. Does it? Or have there been riots since kegs were registered?[/b]

I’m sorry, truly, for my prejudice.  Was inappropriate.  Was a cheap shot.  Something about the timbre of your post was reminiscent of a whiny adolescent.  Was a low blow.  

[b]I honestly have not looked into it. How hard is it? Easier than Colorado Springs? Please give me more information, if it is reasonably easy I would love get a CCW permit.[/b]

My experience leads me to tell ya that one ought not waste their time in even a phone call to the Boulder Police Department.  Go directly to the Sheriff.  I know of no one who has been turned down, but, granted, this has been an exceptional group.  A quick Internet search will lead you to a .pdf applicaton.  May or may not, depending of course on the background check, take the full time.  ( I can’t recall how many weeks they say, but do the search for “Boulder CO Sheriff”.  The CCW application link is on the home page.  

[b]I don't know what the personal attack is about but I do not go to seedy pubs. This town is beautiful in many ways, I love the Flatirons, it is a beautiful city. The bike trails are great, the air is clean. I did not say that any of these were not true. What I dislike is the political climate. Boulder is filled with a bunch of rich kid wannabe hippies who drive around in their SUVs and cry "save the rainforest". They complain about being "persecuted" for smoking pot while they hold a smokeout in Farrand field on 4-20 without any police action. Allard protesters are arrested before Strickland rallies start. I am tired of the whiners and the pseudo hippies. I love the physical area but even Nazi Germany had some physically beautiful places to live, or was Bavaria transformed into some surface hell while Hitler was in power?

Oh yeah, going to jail for six (yes 6) months for killing one (yes 1) sparrow is not "petty".][/b]

Again, I apologize for attacking you.  I tend to defend my home territory as quickly as I do my country, and when you alluded to the negatives, I jumped in.  I don’t tend to find those described by you to be as offensive as you find them to be.  They’re just having fun, exercising their “away from home” freedoms for the first time, I think.  Hey, it’s not a Boulder issue to have an outspoken, sometimes extreme, student body.  Yes, the “wannabe hippies,” the “pseudo hippies” are a parody of themselves, but, hey, they’re not an influence to anyone, they are making no difference politically, they are changing no opinions.  Why not focus on fake blondes?  If you consider our town to be only CU, then you’re neglecting  75% of our residents.  Do you think that these poverty-stricken college students (yes, even those who have parents that give them $3000/mo + rent +Range Rover) support our restaurants?  Our boutiques?  The Arts?  Who pays the (non-sales) taxes?  Who represents us on Wednesday nights? (And why care if their parents want to maintain a lifestyle?  Let people spend their money and time as they wish, I think.)  

Wasn’t aware of the maximum penalty for being found guilty for killing a sparrow in Boulder.  Also, not aware of the maximum penalty for many actions that I would never consider.

Your concept of Boulder as Liberal places it at the extreme opposite of Nazi Germany, doesn’t it?  Make a consistent argument.  Why such a focus of socially, as opposed to fiscally, liberal?  Do you think that the people are really fiscally liberal, or do you spend to much time gritting your teeth each time you see a woman with dreadlocks?  (Is that how the hair style is spelled?)  It is for this reason, maybe, that I profiled you as I did.  Aside from the little group in front of the Courthouse on Pearl, I have little exposure to this demographic.

As you can see, I’ll defend my turf, and I consider you to be another townsperson.  I guess that I’ve passed you on the street already (and I can assure you that I haven’t got a bumper sticker that speaks for me), and I hate to see people who live in the midst of such bounty complain.  Think of where some Americans live, and be grateful.  Otherwise, sounds like you are a potential AZ or VT resident?  

Let’s be friends.
Sorry for jumping on you, but I’ll defend this place everyday,
IMHO

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 2:20:45 AM EDT
[#25]
If this goes through and kegs are registered, are they going to put a provision in the law for concealed carry?

Maybe Bianchi gunleather will make up an 'in the pants'rig or a shoulder holster to carry a keg concealed.

Or perhaps they won't because it could easily be abused.

Is there going to be a police exemption for concealed carry?

What would the penalty for carrying a concealed keg without a permit be, anyway?

Lotta f452ing mysteries around here.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#26]
IMHO, it is true that Boulder contains much more than CU and sometimes I forget that. The vast majority of my time is spent in classes and on campus so really it is the main impression of Boulder I have. But I still think registering kegs is a dumb idea that won't accomplish anything. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Better buy em up guys... Someday those preban kegs will be worth a lot. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Just the pre-ban ones, without the permanantly attached registration tag.  I've got a few of these laying around.  Hopefully we will be able to grandfather them in and not be subject to confiscation.[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top