Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck my life. At least May 2014 will be an awesome month for me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
What do they have to do when they receive an application, what is the approval process?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So, if it is now a year, we assume Congress would be A-OK with that as well? What about two years...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there is no legal requirement (is there) for the ATF to process these in any particular timetable, what is to prevent them from slowing down even further? At what point is legal action due to the delay possible?

ATF has testified before Congress that it takes six months to process the forms and Congress was A-OK with that timeline.

So, if it is now a year, we assume Congress would be A-OK with that as well? What about two years...

At this point with everything going on, it's a miracle that our government hasn't outlawed the possession of pointy sticks. If our "representatives" had their way, they would go for the nice Patriot Act/NSA/police state trifecta and make sure commoners never see another weapon again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It took the patent office two years to finally send a receipt that essentially said "Hey...we got your application, but we're probably not going to look at it for another couple of years". Current wait estimates are about 5 years from the application submission before you get your first round of claim rejections from them.

You think they give a shit about your NFA goodies? Their response to the USPTO mess has essentially made it worse, in addition to limiting the freedoms of individuals, and that can be easily connected to jobs. No way are they going to do a damned thing about this, even if it does come to their attention.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Apparently ATF needs to hire more people.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What do they have to do when they receive an application, what is the approval process?
View Quote

Not sure, but according to the numbers each form takes about 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

sadly they have already cashed the checks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is 46000 x $200?

That will pay for some Bonuses...

sadly they have already cashed the checks

They've always been very quick about that part of the process.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Apparently ATF needs to hire more people.
View Quote

I'm sure the Obama administration will get right on that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn I wish I could get away with being a year behind in my work....No, no I don't.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I didn't say the media would feel sorry for us, only that it would get on the nightly news.  It would start with some smaller network, maybe get picked up by fox news, then at some point one of our half dozen decent congressmen introduces legislation or an amendment to must pass legislation that DOES get it on the national news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously most of the federal system doesn't want regular citizens owning "unapproved" property, but a two year wait time would get it on the nightly national news.  This is about publicly establishing the atf as what it is, a cabal designed to stop/prevent/reduce civilian gun ownership.  Most of the public still thinks the atf is "legitimate law enforcement."

Yeah, right. I'm sure a major network will do a segment on the horrible injustice of people having to wait longer to get their machineguns and suppressors, etc. The media always feels sorry for us about this kind of thing.

Get real, man. I agree with you and everyone else that the wait times are ridiculous, but nobody in the mainstream media will even give it a second look.

I didn't say the media would feel sorry for us, only that it would get on the nightly news.  It would start with some smaller network, maybe get picked up by fox news, then at some point one of our half dozen decent congressmen introduces legislation or an amendment to must pass legislation that DOES get it on the national news.
Only way it would ever get mentioned or get a tiny bit of traction is if it could somehow be tied into a story about the IRS dragging feet on tax exempt applications and it could dovetail into a overall story of wide spread selective feet dragging by the US government , which as we all know exists

but even then it would be a side bar or foot note to the overall story

Most people think NFA stuff is illegal period and don't give a fuck if it takes 2+ years to get stuff approved

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad I live in Kansas.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wonder how this affects Suppressor manufacturers.  A lot of people will get turned off by such a long wait.  Civilian sales will go down and they will have to chase .gov contracts; but is that enough?
View Quote

You think the .gov gives a shit?

I sent my Form 1 out in February. Got it back Friday for a correction. Popped it back in the mail Saturday. Now we wait...again....
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]
it should be automatic for people like me with many approved forms in the past.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

46,000 forms * 30 minutes = 23,000 hours

23k hours / 2,000 hours/yr = 11.5 man-years

If they're furloughed at the same rate as the rest of the fedgov, then you're talking about a 10% reduction.

So now it's around 13 man-years.

They have 9 people.  Your form should take 17 months to get back to you.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.

How many copies of my fingerprint cards do they need?   They could fill a filing cabinet with them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If they're a year backlogged then that is the cue for everyone to backlog them some more.  Put them in the situation of being backlogged two years because it's the only way to get the public's attention.  The federal control system feeds off complacency, so they manage the complacency level of the public.  If 100,000 voting americans are told to wait two years for some measly form, that's something even mindless pro NFA congressidiots can't ignore.
View Quote

The general public barely even knows about the NFA.  Think about this, how many of you have met an actual gun owner who believes that suppressors, SBS/SBR, and machine guns are illegal?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

And what might preclude you from becoming a prohibited person between the last application and the next one?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#20]
One year or two is fine, it gives the person waiting time to really consider their purchaseof such weaponry. It gives them time to calm down to de-escalate
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#21]
People will stop buying suppressors due to the long long waits and it will eventually have an impact on the manufacturers. Imagine buying a suppressor and by the time you get it, it will already be outdated by a newer model.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
talk about an antiquated system. no reason this cannot be done in 24 hours or less.
View Quote

It's nothing more than a glorified NICs check.  It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes for 99.9% of all transactions that use a SSN to be approved.  The FFL could collect the $200 tax, write in a NFA Branch authorization code, affix the stamp to the form and emboss the stamp and the form right at the sales counter.

Make me the Director of the BATFE and I will have this shit sorted out in 4 to 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#23]

I am waiting on 4 items to be approved and I guess I will get to play with them next summer it sounds like.  I have to say that the incredible wait time does dim my enthusiasm to buy this kind of stuff.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Screw the Unconstitutional NFA and to hell with all the shits who support it.
View Quote

I agree.  But it won't get changed until the Liberty Tree is refreshed with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike...
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And what might preclude you from becoming a prohibited person between the last application and the next one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an individual, you are entirely correct.  However, if you are getting the stamp using a trust, LLC, or other legal entity, there is no way for a legal entity to suddenly become a prohibited possessor.  My trust shall endure in legal perpetuity despite my own personal ability to own firearms.  Even if my trust owns firearms, and I'm a prohibited possessor, the trust can still own them, I just cannot be in possession or control of one.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I've always wondered, do the same examiners handle the NFA paperwork for police departments? Do they have to wait this long to buy a full auto weapon for the SWAT team?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just called today to check on a Form 1. The woman on the phone said if I sent an application in today, it would take 12 months. She said they currently have 46,000 applications backlogged. She said applications received back in January 2013 will take 9 months.
View Quote

Outrageous...just following orders from the muslim messiah - FBHO
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Want a definition of a government in crisis?

When the ministerial functions start to break down.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#30]
..or instant gratification

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Pretty damn hard when there are only nine examiners for the entire nation.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How hard is it to run a background check and check a few pieces of paper?
Pretty damn hard when there are only nine examiners for the entire nation.  
Let's not forget that they're also .gov employees. Just sayin'.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Funny; It doesn't take those bastards that long to cash the checks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The whole process is a joke that needs to go away.
View Quote
This.

You should be able to have your dealer swipe your drivers license and have an answer in seconds , not months . It's just more bullshit .gov bureaucracy , plain and simple .

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#36]
This is why I bought all of my Class 3 items in 2007.  One form was ~37 days.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I sent my Form 1 out in February. Got it back Friday for a correction. Popped it back in the mail Saturday. Now we wait...again....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how this affects Suppressor manufacturers.  A lot of people will get turned off by such a long wait.  Civilian sales will go down and they will have to chase .gov contracts; but is that enough?

Had the same thing happen to me on one I sent in January. Called today to make sure everything is better. Told it would be another 90 days.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#38]
And I just sent in my first Form 4 a couple weeks ago. I wish I was dead
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#39]
FML

I wanted to drop some coin on a can after deployment. I guess I still can but the wait for a stamp will end when I retire it seems like.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Didn't I see something about them adding 10 more examiners?  Wouldn't that, in theory, cut the wait to 6 months?

I guess my Christmas presents to myself will be a bunch of suppressors and sbrs so I can play with the the following Christmas.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
People will stop buying suppressors due to the long long waits and it will eventually have an impact on the manufacturers. Imagine buying a suppressor and by the time you get it, it will already be outdated by a newer model.
View Quote

I'm in that boat.  I'm not going to spend my money on something I'm not going to get for the better part of a year.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would not be shocked in the least bit if they -- the 9 employees -- took turns taking days off.  As long as, say, 3 bodies were in the office doing approvals at any given time, the other 6 can go do "training", take days off, etc.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This is why I bought all of my Class 3 items in 2007.  One form was ~37 days.
View Quote
Seems like till recently it was a roll of the dice

I did 2 in 2005 (IIRC)  mailed in a couple months apart

One took 45 days the other took 9 months

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just called today to check on a Form 1. The woman on the phone said if I sent an application in today, it would take 12 months. She said they currently have 46,000 applications backlogged. She said applications received back in January 2013 will take 9 months.
View Quote

Whoo-Hoo!  Only a half a month to go!

I won't hold my breath.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
As they have explained the process they don't really do anything more than the instant background check you get with any other firearm purchase that uses the instant check. Yet somehow they are unable to efficiently process these even though there's a $200 check stapled to it.

If you paid a guy 5% of the fee to get it processed he'd get the backlog cleared in a month and be waiting for the new flood of near instant NFA applications. The fact that this isn't done let's everyone know what the real goal is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Boy, it sure is a good thing they are making speeding up the process such a priority.

As they have explained the process they don't really do anything more than the instant background check you get with any other firearm purchase that uses the instant check. Yet somehow they are unable to efficiently process these even though there's a $200 check stapled to it.

If you paid a guy 5% of the fee to get it processed he'd get the backlog cleared in a month and be waiting for the new flood of near instant NFA applications. The fact that this isn't done let's everyone know what the real goal is.

Wait until they take over healthcare.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm in that boat.  I'm not going to spend my money on something I'm not going to get for the better part of a year.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did that and waited the better part of a year for AAC to start cranking out the SR7s. Finally, I decided to order an SDN6.  It was my Christmas present last year - wifey wrapped the 51T mount to put under the Christmas tree.  My Form 4 went pending in Feb.  If I'm lucky, I'll get last year's present for this upcoming Christmas.

The kicker is, AAC still is making the SDN6 with AFAIK no SR7s in sight. There's always going to be something better/faster/shinier out there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Funny; It doesn't take those bastards that long to cash the checks.
View Quote

Oh, that part is important so they contract that out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boy, it sure is a good thing they are making speeding up the process such a priority.

What do you mean, "wait?"

Have you ever had to deal with Medicare? It's like NFA branch of health insurance companies.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
..or instant gratification

<a href="http://s191.photobucket.com/user/ChrisP75/media/20130612_191819_zpsf7f11518.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z61/ChrisP75/20130612_191819_zpsf7f11518.jpg</a>
View Quote

Sweet pistol!

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top