Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2002 3:44:07 AM EDT
ok i need some fake blood for hallowe'en.

my first thought was going to a slaughter house and just getting some pigs blood. but i don't have a car and i'm in a new town so i don't know where the slaughter house is, if i was home that's what i'd do , but i'm in college.

next, i was watching "scream" a while ago and the guy on there said he made fake blood out of corn syrup and food colouring.

i bought some corn syrup and f.c. and i was experimenting with f.c. and water. you have to add a little blue to the red to make it look realistic. my prob was i kept ending up with purple. it's the red to blue ratio i'm having trouble with.

any other ideas on how to do it? those are the only 2 ways i can think of. thanks in advance for your help.

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Never tryed any of these [:D]

Eejit's Guide to Blood
Corn Syrup Blood

This is the recipe that pretty much everyone uses, and there's a lot of variations so feel free to experiment.

16 oz. White corn syrup (Karo syrup - this is a US product, but adding golden syrup does the job just as well, alternatively just mix sugar and water and reduce on the stove until it becomes syrupy)
1 oz. red food coloring
1 oz. washing detergent
1 oz. water
Add a drop of blue food colouring to create a more realistic colour. Remove the washing up liquid if you want to make edible blood. Adding condensed milk makes it less transparent and more like real blood.

The blood is extremely sticky and can stain skin and clothes so makes sure its washed off quickly. Use a stain remover on clothes.

Cardiff Red

Because of the food colouring used in a lot of blood recipies they tend to stain easily and can sometime look more purple than red. Here's a more natural alternative that's closer to a Spaghetti Western style arterial red. It also washes out of clothes easily and can be eaten reasonably safely (although why you'd want to eat it is beyond me).

Take a teaspoon or two of Arrowroot (a white powder used in baking that you can easily find in health food shops) and add to water heated on the stove. Stir continuously until the mixture becomes gloopy. Add a small amount of red children's non-toxic powder paint and stir in. The mixture should now be bright red. Add a tiny amount of brown powder paint or coffee concentrate (make this by adding a small amount of water to coffee granules) to darken the blood as required. Store in a bottle or jam jar and thin by adding water to make the blood the required consistency as and when you need it. For bullet hits you need to thin the blood quite a bit to allow it to spray out.

Courtesy of : Stephen Broadhurst and Dale Murchie

Lo-Cost Blood

Add a few drops of red food colouring to the cheapest washing up liquid you can find. Add a drop of blue colouring or some coffee concentrate to create a more realistic colour. Produces a runny blood that has a slight tendency to foam. Great for those bucket of blood effects on the cheap. Washes off reasonably well but tastes foul if you accidently get it in your mouth.

MB2 Blood

Flour Base

1/2 to 2 level teaspoons of plain flour per cup (250ml). Mix flour into water completely (no lumps) before heating. Bring to boil then simmer for 1/2 hour. Stir frequently.

Cool before adding food color. Stir in any surface scum. Makes a good base for stage blood. Slightly slimy. Fairly low surface tension. Soaks and spreads well.

One cup batch of MB2:

1 oz (29ml) Red food coloring (Durkee (R) brand or equivalent)
1/8 teaspoon (.6ml) Green food coloring (Durkee (R) brand or equivalent)
Add flour base described above to a total of one cup (250ml).
There is no sugar and very little food in the MB2 formula so it's probably less attractive to insects. Shelf life is fairly short (days) at room temp. Does not go rank but ferments a bit and looses viscosity.

This formula will temporarily stain skin. Seems to wash out of cotton cloths OK.

Courtesy of : Murr Rhame

Cherry Red

Mix 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon flour. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3 min. Then let simmer on low for 15 min. Remove from heat and let stand around 5 min then mix in one 0.13 oz. package of black cherry (powder) kool aid mix. You will see the results right away. When I priced one packet of kool aid to the food coloring it was about a quarter of the price.

It is a little thick but a good color. Another cool part is if you do get some in your mouth or have to drink it as for a vampire movie, it tastes pretty good to.

Courtesy of : Jason Dunlap

Black and White blood

Alfred Hitchcock famously used Bosco chocolate syrup in Psycho. Any opaque chocolate syrup will do. Tastes great as well!

Jelly Blood

Microwave 3-4 bottles of glycerin then add one cube of strawberry jelly and mix until dissolved. Then add small amount of gelatine (1/5 of a packet) and then add red food colouring to desired effect. Keep stirring until mixed well. It is sligtly runny but great for that reservoir dogs look in back seat of the car. All ingredients are easily found in supermarkets.

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Gotta love the Net [:D]

[url]http://www.google.com/search?q=making+fake+blood&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8[/url]

Looks like just about the same "recipe" from the first couple of sites I looked at.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget, a little bit of baking powder mixed in, and a little bottle of vinegar to spray on yourself makes foaming blood. or a ball of it under some gelitan(sp) skin makes an foaming puss filled wound.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Blood:

Ketchup
Water
Red food coloring (if needed)

Shok
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]
BLOOD:

one stray cat.
one sharp knife

mix well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top