Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/30/2013 11:37:48 AM EDT
I use two gun ranges here in AZ.  At the indoor range, they ask me to sign in, but they don't ask for ID and I could make up a name if I wanted to.  At the outdoor range, they require an ID and they record my name and the types of guns I'm shooting in a logbook. I could understand why they would do that that if I lived in NJ or another state where my right to own a gun was infringed, but I was surprised that it was done here.   I've never heard of anything coming of it, but I can't imagine why the range would need it for their own use.

Yes, I thought about asking them, but I wasn't sure that I would get a straight answer.  I might ask the next time I go, just to see what they say.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The local county range that I have shot at around here has a book that they want you to sign in to, but I've never seen them check IDs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Umm NO.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Sign in and out, yes. Check ID, never had it happen anywhere except when I bought some pistol ammo (Im 21 and still look 18)
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Never had to show ID at local gun ranges.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
At the range I use in ND, they check membership card with ID if they don't recognize you.  This is to make sure you aren't using someone elses membership card.   They do not record our names.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Umm NO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Not ummm no but HELL NO!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#8]
My indoor range holds drivers license while you are in the stalls.

My outdoor range has sign in / sign out but no ID required. Probably a lot of "Rusty Shaklefords" in that book...

Nobody logs what guns you use.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#9]
One place holds your ID and it's clipped onto a clipboard for your particular lane along with a liability form that you sign.  Another place just wants to see your ID initially, and I suppose you get entered into their computers.  Subsequent visits only require a sign in.
And another place will hold the ID while you shoot, but they don't really log anything.

So....

It varies.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Indoors take information, outdoors take money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Some do, some don't.  I'm guessing it's in case of an altercation or damages done to the range. People are more honest when you have their name and address.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
lol NO.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#13]
There isn't an indoor range in my immediate area. At the local outdoor range, there's usually no one there when I go (weekdays), even range cops. It's on the honor system. There's a box there for you to put your $5 in for the day, that's it. No sign-in or ID required. I usually have the place to myself, no one to bug me.

But I don't go there often anyway because I'm surrounded by public land. I always hop in the truck and go up into the hills when I want to go shooting.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use two gun ranges here in AZ.  At the indoor range, they ask me to sign in, but they don't ask for ID and I could make up a name if I wanted to.  At the outdoor range, they require an ID and they record my name and the types of guns I'm shooting in a logbook. I could understand why they would do that that if I live in NJ or another state where my right to own a gun was infringed, but I was surprised that it was done here.   I've never heard of anything coming of it, but I can't imagine why the range would need it for their own use.

Yes, I though about asking them, but I wasn't sure that I would get a straight answer.  I might ask the next time I go, just to see what they say.
View Quote

which ranges do this OP?
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#15]
We shoot in the woods
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#16]
One local range here was taking your name, number, address and then giving all the info to the local PD to run background/warrant checks on all shooters.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#17]
No. My range gives you the combination the lock on the gate. You come and go when you want. They ask that you sign the logbook at whichever of the four sections you're shooting at and check a box indicating whether you are a member or a guest of a member that is present. There is almost never anyone there let alone someone to check your ID.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Umm NO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#19]
The range I work at (indoor) takes your ID and the liability form you sign and puts it on the board for your lane.  The form is also used to record the targets and ammo you buy, then when you pay at the end you get your ID back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

One local range here was taking your name, number, address and then giving all the info to the local PD to run background/warrant checks on all shooters.
View Quote

What, no DNA sample?

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#21]
At my shooting club, i sign in and sign out. Really it is about safety. When it is time to shut down they know if someone is on the property.

At pay by the hour places, they all do sign ins.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#22]
You should see the 2-page form you have to sign & initial in order to shoot at the range I frequent here in L.A. Feels like I'm signing an apartment lease.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The local county range that I have shot at around here has a book that they want you to sign in to, but I've never seen them check IDs.
View Quote

They do this at our public ranges. I generally walk right by the little booth if nobody is in there

Speed

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#24]
The local indoor ranges that I shoot at take yoru ID and hold it until you're checking out.  I've always assumed it's to prevent walk-offs.  Occassionally, they ask to see your ammo to make sure none is steel-core - that depends on the guy checking you in and whether he recognizes you or not.  They've never logged any of my firearms in.  As long as I keep rifles to the rifle lanes, it's none of their business.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#25]
My nearby have my sign a liability form but dont check ID
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, check ID, sign in,  fingerprint. And blood sample, stool sample,  semen sample, paternity test, and you must say three Hail Obamas before you are permitted to reload

(I use the state public ranges, once in a while a gamelands guy asks to see a permit)
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Umm NO.
View Quote
You have to have you membership tag to prove you are a member there, but you don't sign in.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#28]
When I worked in Florida we required ID and signing a liability waiver.    Everyone had to fill out a waiver.  No fill out & sign, no shootee.  I had a lady from county risk management tell me that they got at least a dozen or more lawsuits a year thrown out because of the waiver .   Most of the cases, the plaintiffs had never even been to the range.  Most suits were over things like hearing damage, although there was one case where some guy accidentally shot himself in the abdomen and then claimed it happened at the range, even claimed 'someone' at the range shot him.. He couldn't explain why we had no record of him at the range, or why he sought medical help at 12:00 midnight, seven hours after we'd closed.  He still insisted he'd gotten shot that afternoon, even after we pulled all the waivers of everyone who'd been at the range that day and not only wasn't he listed, but no one who'd been there could remember anyone getting shot in the stomach.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yes, check ID, sign in,  fingerprint. And blood sample, stool sample,  semen sample, paternity test, and you must say three Hail Obamas before you are permitted to reload

(I use the state public ranges, once in a while a gamelands guy asks to see a permit)
View Quote

I don't hunt and a I refuse to pay for a fucking permit withe the amount of taxes I pay.

Fuck the Range Nazis

Speed

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Outdoor range, we sign the book and pay the fee.

Indoor range, surrender your DL until check out but no sign in per say. ( I hate this range BTW)
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Umm
FUCK NO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I live in a commie state, and I've yet to actually encounter "staff" at any of the 3 clubs I shoot at. All are members/guests only, 2 have sign in sheet, 1 has nothing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We shoot in the woods
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Local indoor range has you fill out a bunch of crap it's almost like a mini 4473. Even asks your level of proffecicency with handguns, longguns, and shotguns. I'm sure it's for liability. They stamp it then you bring it to the range master and he lets you in when a stall opens up and gives you the safety briefing if you've never been there before.

I just shoot at a private outdoor range closer to my house. No lines, no paperwork.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Not in montana, but there are private ranges where you need a key card to open the gate (only if you don't want to use the combo lock)
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I pay an annual fee, sign off on the range rules, and get a key to the gate. When I want to shoot, I drive out to the gun club, unlock the gate, and pick out an area to shoot at.

Rural gun clubs FTW
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#37]
You have to check in, and they want you to write your D/L number next to your name.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#38]
lol, my club range has a fence and a combination lock that only members have the combo to and we can come and go as we please.  If you get there during the week its more than likely the entire club is all to yourself, all 8 ranges.  This includes usually 6-8 poppers and a steel plate rack on 4-5 ranges, the 100yd rifle is covered so you can shoot in the rain...Everyone there is club level RO, and we are A rated NRA. Its like fucking heaven.  So no, since most of the time you are the only one there, unless you are there on the weekends and then there is generally various matches.

As far as the public ranges around, basically you need to fill out a waiver the first time.  No they dont log anything other than keeping your waiver on file.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, the local indoor ranges I frequent hold your ID, but don't require sign in. The outdoor range I use requires sign in and checks, but doesn't hold, ID's. None care what you shoot, as long as you're not shooting bimetal or AP.

I prefer to use family land whenever possible, but sometimes I just prefer the local clubs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#40]
When not a member they make you fill out a form.  But otherwise no.

Our department has a membership so we just badge them and walk in usually.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Umm NO.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Nope. Scan card, open gate, drive in, shoot, drive out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#43]
get a new member card and key every year when it renews most of the time have the range to myself

one year membership is so low I dont have a clue how the guy is even paying the property taxes
one of those guys that just does something to be a nice guy i guess
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#44]
They hold your d/l if you need to borrow their stapler.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
which ranges do this OP?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use two gun ranges here in AZ.  At the indoor range, they ask me to sign in, but they don't ask for ID and I could make up a name if I wanted to.  At the outdoor range, they require an ID and they record my name and the types of guns I'm shooting in a logbook. I could understand why they would do that that if I live in NJ or another state where my right to own a gun was infringed, but I was surprised that it was done here.   I've never heard of anything coming of it, but I can't imagine why the range would need it for their own use.

Yes, I though about asking them, but I wasn't sure that I would get a straight answer.  I might ask the next time I go, just to see what they say.

which ranges do this OP?
IM sent

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
IM sent  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which ranges do this OP?
IM sent  

I was waiting for an answer on this too.  The range I use has us sign a log book, but they do not check ID.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#47]
yes
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I was waiting for an answer on this too.  The range I use has us sign a log book, but they do not check ID.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which ranges do this OP?
IM sent  

Our range does not care about what gun you are shooting but since the gate is activated by an RFID membership badge we do log you in and out. It's all about security and potential liability. We need to know WHO was on the range when something did or DID NOT happen......
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Yep.  Unless you go out in the desert- but then you might end up with a bullet in your back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What, no DNA sample?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What, no DNA sample?

Every club member at out club must either present a CHL or undergo a background check before they are accepted into membership.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top