Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2002 7:41:06 PM EDT
[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/28/international/middleeast/28MILI.html]Plan on going[/url]:

[b]Reserve Call-Up for an Iraqi War May Equal 1991's[/b]

WASHINGTON, Oct. 27 — If President Bush orders an attack against Iraq, the Pentagon has plans to mobilize roughly as many reservists as it did during the Persian Gulf war in 1991, when about 265,000 members of the National Guard and Reserves were summoned to active duty, administration officials and military experts say.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you make a fair amount of money now is not the best time to be in the guard/reserves. However, guard/reserves have been reaping the benefits so its time to pay up.

I just got off 7 years active duty and I would like to thank you guard/reserves for your service. Who knows I might get called up to go back too. Been to SWA several times and am ready to go back anytime.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 2:19:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the Minnesota Guard (8 years active) and we get activated several times a year usually. Floods, Forest Fires, Tornadoes, you name it.

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep.  HOOAH!  

My unit is one of the enhanced separate infantry brigades, so I'm pretty damn sure we're going.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone got the anthrax vaccine before?  I saw on AKO that they're restarting the program, and I'd just as soon not get the SOB.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Was in the TXARNG 49th Armored Division during Desert Storm M60A3 Tank Commander, God I loved that job! I'd go back if I could but now must let all you younger guys have all the fun. I know you'll do a great job and kick their a$$.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone got the anthrax vaccine before?  I saw on AKO that they're restarting the program, and I'd just as soon not get the SOB.
View Quote

I have had all the Anthrax shots. Its no big deal. VERY FEW people have a reaction to them, No more than the flu shot. Al the BS you hear about the vaccine is just that, BS.

This vaccine is entirely safe and protects you from a deadly weapon. Don't sweat it.People have been getting this vaccine for over 25 years. Also I just got back a few months ago from SWA and they are giving out cipro pills as an alternative.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#8]
As an alternative to the vaccinations?  And do you get a choice?
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep.  HOOAH!  

My unit is one of the enhanced separate infantry brigades, so I'm pretty damn sure we're going.
View Quote

Loose Lips Sink Ships.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I had to participate in a command briefing for my Oregon Army National Guard company commander about the possibilities of going to Iraq.  Basically, it's highly probable our unit (7ID, 41st IN BDE (enchanced) ) would get deployed, but highly unlikely it would be to Iraq.  Most likely we'd replace people from Bosnia, Saudi, Afghanistan, or elsewhere who themselves would get sent to Iraq.

Me personally?  I'm in a non-deployable status.  I have no DNA sample on file.  I'm also in a commissioning program, which also prevents me from being deployed.

edited to add:
my commisioning paperworks says i go active duty once i complete my degree, by the way.  so i'm only in ORANG until this June.  I requested Korea as my first duty station, and IN as my branch (i'm in an IN PL slot as it is, so hey!), so we'll see what happens next year ...
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep.  HOOAH!  

View Quote

you're in 7ID too, eh?  i'm in 41st IN (enchanced).  specifically, 1/162 IN
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't really see what I said that would violate OPSEC...but anyway.

76th SIB.

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dont think there is a choice but they dont have enough of the vaccine to go around right now so cipro is what they are using. You dont actually take the pills until you are infected or about to be infected.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Coast Guard Reserve here...guess I'll be playing on the beach somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#15]
US Navy Reserve Fleet Marine Force Corpsman here (HM2 / E-5).
2nd Batt. 25th Marines, 4th MARDIV.
My unit is currently mobilized as of Dec-2001. Unfortunately, they left a few of us behind for some unknown reason...
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and No.

No:

You are their property...so to speak. You do as they tell you...for the most part.

Yes:

True story..One pilot absolutely refused to take the shot. THey dishonerably discharged him. They Also made him reimburse the military for every penny they spent on him. For those who don't know.. pilot training is not cheap.

PErsonally....They are trying to protect you. There are conspiracy theorists who tihnk the "big brother" is out to get you. take it with a grain of salt.

My two cents: The benefits FAR outweight the remote possibility of adverse effects.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been in the Inactive Ready Reserve since my ETS in December 1997. U.S. Army SGT\E-5 MOS 14R20 and 31C20 I have two months left in the IRR, I doubt they will call me back since I am I.R.R. and a short-timer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#18]
US Air Force Reserve, Security Forces/Combat Arms.  Been activated since September, 2001.  In my second year of activation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd love to be in the Reserves ...
I have shitty asthma.....................
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
not in yet but hope to be shortly.
army reserve.  
if all things go well, basic this summer, AIT next!
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and No.

No:

You are their property...so to speak. You do as they tell you...for the most part.

Yes:

True story..One pilot absolutely refused to take the shot. THey dishonerably discharged him. They Also made him reimburse the military for every penny they spent on him. For those who don't know.. pilot training is not cheap.

PErsonally....They are trying to protect you. There are conspiracy theorists who tihnk the "big brother" is out to get you. take it with a grain of salt.

My two cents: The benefits FAR outweight the remote possibility of adverse effects.
View Quote

Oh, I understand you can be ordered to take it..I was just wondering if ciprofloxacin was an alternative you could opt for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Was in the TXARNG 49th Armored Division during Desert Storm M60A3 Tank Commander, God I loved that job! I'd go back if I could but now must let all you younger guys have all the fun. I know you'll do a great job and kick their a$$.
View Quote

I'm a 19K M1A1 Armor Crewman in A Co, 2-116 CAV, [url=http://www2.state.id.us/mil/army/army.htm]Idaho National Guard[/url].  I'm an E-5, so I occupy a Gunner's slot.

-kill-9

"On the way!"
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#23]
E-3, 1st Pl. C Co. 303rd AR,

If it goes off soon and quickly I'll probably be either still in, or just out of AIT when the whole ground war ends.

If (like everyone in my unit fears) Saddam passes more gas than a judge at a Chili contest and does his damndest to make the whole 'contest' a bit more sporting, I'll probably get out of AIT just in time to replace some crew they had to hose out of the vehicle.

Why cant we go to war somewhere with dirt and mud instead of sand and gravel? Maybe the Chinks will let us have a nice conventional war with them instead...

If I could choose, like a wargamer, my 'fight' in the desert, it would be as mounted cavalry during the First World War with T.E. Lawerance, and leave this gas and chem stuff to the birds.

Ryan
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

76th SIB.

View Quote

Yeah, better add "LIGHT" to that. I know more about where your'e likely to go than you do. And I don't know much.  Ain't sayin' either.

MUSTANG 6 (look it up in your SOI), OUT
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I am in the Guard, probably going to miss the Iraq thing.  
We are packing our bags for Kosovo for 9 months starting Feb.
Camp Bondsteel here I come!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#26]
USCSR AAV (1833) here- 4th Mar Div

I've seen some of the proposals to 'do' Iraq, and they all involve massive amounts of light and heavy mechanized infantry.  No big secret there though- everyone knows that.

What most of you all are missing is that this war won't be all about sand and desert...it's going to be lots of MOUT, count on that.  

Personally, I'm not really looking forward to MOUT and NBC operations, but I'm damn sure ready to put my AAV's M2 .50 cal and MK19 up some Iraqui ass- gotta love being the gunner!

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

76th SIB.

View Quote

Yeah, better add "LIGHT" to that. I know more about where your'e likely to go than you do. And I don't know much.  Ain't sayin' either.

MUSTANG 6 (look it up in your SOI), OUT
View Quote

Mayhap you do, and mayhap you don't, Captain[;)] after all, we're 'Always Out Front'.

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#28]
If those of you in the I.R.R. (I've got until June) think we won't be called up, think again.  According to my active duty friend who's currently doing I&I duty, about half the Marines activated so far have been I.R.R.  It's easier to call them up since it doesn't deplete reserve unit readiness, and many MOS's don't have sufficient manpower to begin with.

I personally have no desire to spend time in the desert "saving" people that will only turn against us.  Anyone seen spontaneous Afghan demonstrations to show how much they appreciate what we have done?  I think the suitable term is "Quagmire".
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#29]
My only decision at this point is to stay where I am and possibly do more good for the unit, or return to an Infantry slot and get some trigger time.  

Sort of depends on what side of bed I get up on, I've noticed.

QS out

Edited to add: I missed the last one...I'll be damned if I'm missing this one!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#30]
CT National Guard Combat Engineer.  Fun fun fun
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I personally have no desire to spend time in the desert "saving" people that will only turn against us.  Anyone seen spontaneous Afghan demonstrations to show how much they appreciate what we have done?  I think the suitable term is "Quagmire".
View Quote

That's an interesting point, but I consider the main point of the mission to be to defang Iraq.  Caring for the people and rebuilding the country is mostly to appease the pacifists and Europeans (was that redundant?).

Also, bear in mind that this (the war on terrorism, of which Iraq is arguably a part) is the first war in nearly 60 years that is being fought expressly in defense of America.  Those people want us dead and will soon have the means to make that happen.  If I can have a direct role in eliminating that threat, I'll do so.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#32]
We need to help rebuild and care for the people so we don't have to go back there in 50 years to do the same thing.  Look at the difference between how WW1 and WW2 ended.  To destory a people and country and then leave it in shambles is to only guarntee bitterness and hatred towards us.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#33]
United States Marine Corp Reserve
4th FSSG, 6th Marines, Bridge Co. Alpha

E-3, Should pick up E-4 in a month or two. I'm a Combat Engineer/Bridgeman/Boat Operator/NBC Expert.

We are ready to go!

Smalls
LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Currently the commander (by default) of Detachment 1, 889 QM Supply Co,USAR, in Kalispell, Montana.

Funny how 10 years flys from one war to the next :-).

CW2 Ed Cope
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
USCSR AAV (1833) here- 4th Mar Div

I've seen some of the proposals to 'do' Iraq, and they all involve massive amounts of light and heavy mechanized infantry.  No big secret there though- everyone knows that.

What most of you all are missing is that this war won't be all about sand and desert...it's going to be lots of MOUT, count on that.  

Personally, I'm not really looking forward to MOUT and NBC operations, but I'm damn sure ready to put my AAV's M2 .50 cal and MK19 up some Iraqui ass- gotta love being the gunner!

View Quote

and roger.  that came up in our briefing.  basically, units with mout experience (from afghanistan, bosnia, and somalia) will go to iraq, and the guard will fill in where they used to be at
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We need to help rebuild and care for the people so we don't have to go back there in 50 years to do the same thing.  Look at the difference between how WW1 and WW2 ended.  To destory a people and country and then leave it in shambles is to only guarntee bitterness and hatred towards us.  
View Quote

So what your saying is most of Western Europeans arnt angry or bitter at all towards Americans these days? Last I checked England was the only one who hadnt turned her back to us, and thats largely because the Gov't is "telling" its subjects how it will be, instead of listening to their ever-louder bitching and moaning.

These are the times I wish I were a Norweigan, or Swiss, or some other nationality that doesnt draw fire and allows automatic arms at home nationaly.

Ryan
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
E-3, 1st Pl. C Co. 303rd AR,

If it goes off soon and quickly I'll probably be either still in, or just out of AIT when the whole ground war ends.

If (like everyone in my unit fears) Saddam passes more gas than a judge at a Chili contest and does his damndest to make the whole 'contest' a bit more sporting, I'll probably get out of AIT just in time to replace some crew they had to hose out of the vehicle.

Why cant we go to war somewhere with dirt and mud instead of sand and gravel? Maybe the Chinks will let us have a nice conventional war with them instead...

If I could choose, like a wargamer, my 'fight' in the desert, it would be as mounted cavalry during the First World War with T.E. Lawerance, and leave this gas and chem stuff to the birds.

Ryan
View Quote

I used to be the Medic(6 years) for DET 2/ 303rd AR (High angle hell!), when they disbanded I got to get a "get out of the Guard free Card"..(or goto the Engineers)[puke] If I could get ahold of Pipengers E-Mail address I would go back in in a heart beat, but I would not go with anyone else ...to many f_ck up's!, but you will learn on your own...Good luck! there are some good troops/NCO's but there are some real shit bag  Jr.officers!
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

So what your saying is most of Western Europeans arnt angry or bitter at all towards Americans these days? Last I checked England was the only one who hadnt turned her back to us, and thats largely because the Gov't is "telling" its subjects how it will be, instead of listening to their ever-louder bitching and moaning.

These are the times I wish I were a Norweigan, or Swiss, or some other nationality that doesnt draw fire and allows automatic arms at home nationaly.

Ryan
View Quote

I think I would describe the europeans more as jealous and petty, not bitter and hatred.  At the end of WWI, the Allied powers destroyed Germany and left it in ruins with no hope of rebuilding.  We had to go back and kill millions more 20 years later because of that mistake.  After that, we helped them out and we haven't had to do much after that (excpet for Kosovo)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top