Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2013 5:17:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I got this for my 4 year old son. http://www.nabitablet.com/ He likes it a lot. It will surf the web pretty good also.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife and I just upgraded our phones to the Galaxy S4 and handed down out HTC evos to the kids to use over wifi
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Just bought this for my daughter's birthday:

Granted it is refurb directly from Apple, but it is basically brand spanking new in retail packaging.  Also comes with a full 1 year warranty.  If you don't mind 8GB, this is the way to go.  Plus it shipped free via FedEx from China.  Only took two days to reach Michigan.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The content control on the Apple products is very nice.  Android lacks them (although 4.3 is supposed to be better and allow for profiles).
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just bought this for my daughter's birthday:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch/8gb

Granted it is refurb directly from Apple, but it is basically brand spanking new in retail packaging.  Also comes with a full 1 year warranty.  If you don't mind 8GB, this is the way to go.  Plus it shipped free via FedEx from China.  Only took two days to reach Michigan.
View Quote

That's a great deal.  I have one of the same model, and use it with the headphones with a mic and Skype to use it like a phone.  If the kids have free wi-fi at school, you can probably get away with that instead of a phone and save a lot of money.

I'd buy one iPod and a used iPad.  They'll probably fight over them some, but I think it's better than having three of the same thing.z
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had good luck buying last-gen refurb ipods and ipads Apple sells.  Add Otterbox defender cases to the list for the ipod touches.  So far no casualties on any of 6-8 refurbs we've purchased over the years.

Only casualty of all the Apple devices was my wife's (new) iphone4s... Busted back-glass on day-2 as the Otterbox was still in the brown truck...

I've tried other craptastic media players and they were craptastic.  

Small tablets an option?  Nexus 7", Small Kindle Fire?  Not something you drop in a pocket though.

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had good luck buying last-gen refurb ipods and ipads Apple sells.  Add Otterbox defender cases to the list for the ipod touches.  So far no casualties on any of 6-8 refurbs we've purchased over the years.

Only casualty of all the Apple devices was my wife's (new) iphone4s... Busted back-glass on day-2 as the Otterbox was still in the brown truck...

I've tried other craptastic media players and they were craptastic.  

Small tablets an option?  Nexus 7", Small Kindle Fire?  Not something you drop in a pocket though.
View Quote
Sero Pro from Walmart for $150 + $15 extended warranty isn't a bad deal either, I love mine.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have three kids in middle and high school.  I earned some extra money over the summer and have about $175 each to spend on them.  They ALL want an iPod touch so they can facebook/text/etc to stay in contact with their friends (and us)

I am loath to walk into best buy and pay retail for them, and I'm not a huge fan of apple.

Is there a Samsung/android type alternative that would offer the same features, hopefully for less than the apple brand?

Thanks

View Quote

Get them the new nexus 7.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Just get a $150 tablet.

The Hisense Sero 7 Pro is $150 at walmart, can use a 64gb flash card, has hdmi, wifi, and more!

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
We got our daughter a refurbished Ipod touch through the Apple store. I can't recall how much we paid, but it was probably excessive.

She just turned 2 - I'm sure some folks heads are exploding after reading that. We were intending to get her one of the kid oriented tablets since she loves to play with our Iphones, but after talking with one of our even nerdier friends who is very into mobile devices we decided one the Ipod for a few reasons. The UI is dead simple (even before our daughter was 2 she pretty much had it mastered), there are tons of learning apps available (our daughter has lots of flash card and puzzle apps - not all free but many are), it can share chargers with our Iphones, and it's damn near indestructible inside an Otterbox case.

That said, I have a earlier model Google Nexus 7 (I understand they have recently released a new one?) and it's been awesome so far and I believe they can be purchased for around $100.00 a piece. It has a much bigger screen, but it is still portable. This is probably what I would steer towards.  It's certainly more capable than an Ipod touch. I can't speak to the texting capability of any of them, other than I believe the Google voice app will permit texting over wifi and should be available for either device.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
There are other choices at that price point.  But get them a touch if that's what they want.   The refurbs look like a great deal IMO.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have three kids in middle and high school.  I earned some extra money over the summer and have about $175 each to spend on them.  They ALL want an iPod touch so they can facebook/text/etc to stay in contact with their friends (and us)

I am loath to walk into best buy and pay retail for them, and I'm not a huge fan of apple.

Is there a Samsung/android type alternative that would offer the same features, hopefully for less than the apple brand?

Thanks

View Quote

I'd say get them iTouch refurbs direct from Apple.

If they want iTouches then anything else will be... else.
Though the number of times I've heard "I wanted this iPhone so bad... I hate it!" is getting rather amusing.

I think the iTouch is a good device, but it's still tied to fucking iTunes.

So when iTunes won't sync or see the device, etc etc, is where the well deserved hate comes into play.

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Can you obtain replacement glass for iOS devices?

One positive thing about Android... I broke my digitizer screen, and replaced it for $15 on ebay.

It was slightly difficult to replace, but a youtube instructional video was the key, for sure.

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#16]
You can find some nice 7" tablets in that price range but they're not iPod Touches.
I know be grateful for whatever you get but if my kid ask me for something and I can swing it I'd get what they ask for instead of something similar.

Also if you buy a refurb, you may want to make sure it's a Gen 5. From what I heard Gen4 iPods won't be getting iOS7 this fall.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an iPad, a Kindle Fire, numerous computers, and am also an IT guy.  I much prefer the iPad, and iPod is basically the same.

I also have granddaughters.

Get the kids iPod touchs, new or those refurbed ones.  They aren't going to be happy, otherwise.

And, a 7 inch screen isn't going to be portable enough for them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One positive thing about Android... I broke my digitizer screen, and replaced it for $15 on ebay.
It was slightly difficult to replace, but a youtube instructional video was the key, for sure.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never needed to do so, but I'm pretty sure the iPod touch screens can be replaced.  A quick web search reveals kits available for purchase.  The first hit was a kit for a 4g iPod touch for $19.  Same is true of the iPhone.  I took my wife's to the Apple store by the office to get it fixed up PDQ though.  I believe the back glass was around $25-$30 and swapped while I waited.  My wife was most happy...

We have two 3rd gen iPod Touches,  two 4th gen iPod Touches and two first gen iPads.  None have broken, they're all all over two years old and still in almost daily use.   The older iPods aren't used much, but still work.  I have an old Nano in my truck for tunes.  Charging cables have taken the biggest toll... I've had to replace 2 or 3 of those.

They work and the wife and kids have been happy.  I've been happy with the old iPad other than the more frequent browser crashes (Safari and Chrome) of late.  I've been hearing of the same increase in crashing from work folks with Android devices.  All of our apps are purchased once and shared (all on the same iTunes account).  Don't know if you can do that with Android apps, but will be finding out shortly.  One complication of doing this is sharing of iTune store credits/cards but it hasn't really been an issue.  I don't keep a credit card on file to avoid in-app purchases...  Another benefit is that I don't have to take care of any of them as one of the teen boys does that for me.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got an iPod touch sitting in a drawer with a cracked screen, and my daughter's iPod Touch is going to be obsolete in about a week and a half when we up her to an iPhone. Point being, there are a lot of unused ones out there.

Score some used ones, and toss in $50 iTunes cards, and still be money ahead.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Gen 4 32 gig iPod touch i bought on sale on amazon a few years back.  I did not take it out of the box until the Otterbox cover was sitting next to it and I was ready to put it on.  get the covers !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top