Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2002 3:36:35 PM EDT
Usually i just chew well and pick the shot out as i come across it.  Buddy today though got me thinkin, talkin about the shot being lead and all.

You guys pull it out first?  What do you use?  Tweezers??

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Stone
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
just eat it.  in pelletized form, it will go right through you, unless you crush it and then yu might pick up a little bit-but unless you eat doves every night, that shouldn't be a problem.  course, if it's steel shot, that stuff will break a tooth and you might want to chew carefully.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a rare bird that will have some retained shot. My son and I came back with 21 birds last weekend.  
Im just careful,  there may be a pellet in that bite to break a tooth on.
kinda like eatin fresh fish that may have a bone or two
Aint it fun?     Lebrew
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Geez man, stick to head shots and you a won't have that problem.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Geez man, stick to head shots and you a won't have that problem.
View Quote

I've been dove hunting my entire life and a few years ago I actually decided to start going for head shots. When I miss not it's almost always from shooting ahead of the bird.

My shooting percentage has stayed the same, if not risen, probably because I concentrate more on each shot, and I get far fewer wounded birds. Many birds will only have a small drop of blood or two in their head when I get em, and they usually drop like a rock.

Last year I had one comming in low and fast and I took his head clean off. It looked like I had caught a live bird and pulled his head off. I knew something was weird when it hit the ground and was still flopping, because I knew I had scored a direct hit, until I saw his head had completely disappeared.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
there aint much bird there to go picking around in for a BB
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Head shots on dove?

I am thoroughly impressed!

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]
it's rude to spit the shot out on the china.
but it does make a satisfying clinking sound.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
eat the shot.  The FDA puts vitamin C in it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Head shots on dove?

[beer]
View Quote

Yeah, most of my hunting buddies think it's pretty neat. If I were half as handy with a rifle as I am with a shotgun....well, it would be impressive [;)]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Head shots on dove?

[beer]
View Quote

I thought you were on the firing line at ETH's June party when one of the guys pulled a Glock and nailed a flying bird with the first shot.  I wasn't there but heard about it.

Energizer,,, was that YOU?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top